Line of Sight - really?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
REALLY? Some of you can cheat all you like, but VLOS clearly means Visual Line of Sight. Don't try to justify your garbage by pretending that watching the screen is VLOS.

Reactions: Bob D.
For everyone reposting paragraphs from other sites on the legalities of flying our drones. Do realize that most people don't even read or post anything on these forums and simply just fly there drones the way they choose. And probably 75% of the people that do read these forums still choose to fly their drones the way they choose. You guys remind me of these religious Fundamentalist (any faith) that quote their scriptures line by line and anyone that deviates is in sin. Some just take this all too seriously it's supposed to be fun, just use your common sense and good judgment.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not judging - not saying I do or do not fly out of VLOS for fun and distance.

But... several have said they do off shore because it's safer there. As described above, it is your responsibility to see and avoid other traffic. Pilots like myself enjoy flying our planes off shore, too. A mile out, you will not be able to see me in my plane and avoid me. And we are not restricted by altitude over water. We can, and do, skim along at 100' or less at times, although I'm usually closer to 250-300'.

Just posting so people don't get complacent.

You guys remind me of these religious Fundamentalist (any faith) that quote their scriptures line by line and anyone that deviates is in sin. Some just take this all too seriously it's supposed to be fun, just use your common sense and good judgment.
Well... it IS Sunday. :innocent:

Those who are Christians that expect those who are not to recognize, care, or live as if they are, are naive. The fact that the others live in sin is irrelevant. They do. They just don't care (or know), and prefer to live the rest of their life as they are.

That doesn't seem to be much different than here - other than the degree of repercussions, and that you will likely get away with the VLOS infractions. So, yes, agreed. ;)

My usage/understanding of the line of sight rule means keeping an unobstructed view in the direction of the aircraft's position to observe for other aircraft or hazards in the area.
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The intent of the FAA rule is that you be able to see your UAV at all times.

5.7 VLOS Aircraft Operation. The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight... .
Aren't you concerned that wmcvey, who will continue to fly his UAV any way he wants, safety regulations notwithstanding, will add you to his list of "self appointed drone police?"

Last edited:
You're probably right, but do you know that, or do you just believe that? If the former, how do you know that?
I don't make stuff up to suit my prejudices. The FAA regulation states, in part: "5.7 VLOS Aircraft Operation. The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight. Therefore, the small UA must be operated closely enough to the CS to ensure visibility requirements are met during small UA operations..." (emphasis mine).The phrase "must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight" is unambiguous.

Guys lets tone this down a notch :)
have some dip.gif

Reactions: WilliamM and Bob D.
Well... it IS Sunday. :innocent:

Those who are Christians that expect those who are not to recognize, care, or live as if they are, are naive. The fact that the others live in sin is irrelevant. They do. They just don't care (or know), and prefer to live the rest of their life as they are.

Self-righteousness is one of the least attractive components of fundamental religious belief.;)

That doesn't seem to be much different than here - other than the degree of repercussions, and that you will likely get away with the VLOS infractions. So, yes, agreed. ;)

That is probably true. The likelihood of getting busted by some FAA agent out on drone patrol is remote. If the FAA was to ever get involved with an individual drone pilot, it would most likely be on the basis of a complaint, or an instance where someone actually got hurt or their property damaged. So, guys...fly carefully, have regard for other persons and their property, and you may never have to be faced with an unpleasant FAA interaction.

Last edited:
I don't make stuff up to suit my prejudices. The FAA regulation states, in part: "5.7 VLOS Aircraft Operation. The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight. Therefore, the small UA must be operated closely enough to the CS to ensure visibility requirements are met during small UA operations..." (emphasis mine).The phrase "must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight" is unambiguous.
Well...thank you for your opinion.

The states comes under FAA rules, not sure about Canada. That's what most have been talking about in this thread.

Thanks for clarifying that. I am getting the impression that each country has its own specific regulations (and within the States it seems like the regulations and their interpretations vary somewhat from area to area). I'll dig around to see if I can locate any specific regulations for BC/Canada.

So GLAD you chimed-in. The VLOS max, as interpreted (not clearly codified) by the FAA (who else?), is indeed agreed upon as 1500 feet max in clear air. Beyond that, it is called EVLOS , requiring a waiver (ExtendedVLOS; you cant quite see the drone's orientation, but you can see and avoid manned aircraft and obstacles - still can't fly behind anything). The key is that the operator - BOTH hobby and commercial - MUST maintain situational awareness (often referred to by FAA as "see and avoid"); this means you need to have ACTUAL VISUAL CONTACT with your drone at all times such that you can assess its location, its altitude, its orientation, and its direction of flight - ALL of those things. And, with apologies to the radio signal crowd, yes the V in VLOS actually means VISUAL, using your actual eyes. Sorry. You CAN get a waiver though. I don't like it any more than the next pilot, but there ya go. Will I still fly way way WAY out over the ocean for fun? You bet. And I WISH the daggone FAA would paste a clear definition of VLOS someplace other than their discussions and recommendations...and within their citations for unsafe or hazardous operation.

Additionally, a lot of people do recommend the Verifly App for insurance - if you choose to have it - but guess what? If an unplanned negative event (called an accident) results in injury or damage outside of VLOS, my most educated guess is they will instantly void any coverage you may have purchased.
Verifly only covers a very specific radius..they make it very clear when you buy. I believe it is currently 1/4 mile.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have to agree with VLOS means you have to have sight of the aircraft while in control. I'll take that a step further . I don't believe seeing a tiny dot in the sky is the meaning . I think it needs to be seen well enough to control it properly although I don't believe this point was stressed. A small dot could be a bird or even someone elses aircraft. This distance will vary depending on eyesight . I sure many think they see much better than they do. When some claim they can see their bird well at 1500 feet, I really don't believe that. Mine is quite small at 500 feet away.

Thanks for clarifying that. I am getting the impression that each country has its own specific regulations (and within the States it seems like the regulations and their interpretations vary somewhat from area to area). I'll dig around to see if I can locate any specific regulations for BC/Canada.
Here you go Kai http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tlL40pVO2jd2g1Egg&sig2=OXwLNiF9B4X_MdTD2Qlm-Q
And being this keeps going in and out of topic I am just going to close this .
Anything you don't understand in that Kia just ask in rules and regs and sure someone will answer you :)
CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka