Lightroom vs Photoshop

Reaction score
Please tell me the main differences and benefits from each of these programs. I currently only use Photoshop, but as a paying CC customer I have access to Lightroom. Is there any reason I should try it?

The blurb plugin is pretty neat. Also in the rare case HDR is needed its kind of the best tool for that. Otherwise photoshop will run circles around it.

To me both programs are indispensable for different reasons. Lightroom excels at basic adjustments like color, contrast, cropping and lens corrections. Within your first 10 minutes after installation you will be able to accomplish much of what you need to do without reading an encyclopedia sized book. Photoshop handles everything you will ever need to do but is cumbersome and difficult to learn. To get the full benefits of Photoshop could take years of study and practice.
Lightroom started as image cataloging software and has progressively added image processing capabilities. Because of this it is great for organizing and cataloging your work while also handling basic processing.
Lightroom should be thought of more as a RAW image processor where your work begins before moving to Photoshop. It's biggest benefits are that it is a non-destructive process and that it does it's work very efficiently. I use Lightroom to get an image close to a final product before moving it to Photoshop for some finishing touches. Oftentimes no Photoshop work is required after making basic adjustments in Lightroom. Lightroom never makes changes to the original file. What it does is store adjustments in it's catalog and uses them before displaying or outputting an image. Because of the way it does this successive adjustments are cleaner and proper workflow is much less important.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lightroom is also great for organizing your photos. My workflow is, upload photos to LR,sort by giving numbers, then I delete all the 1,2,3. I then make adjustments and if a series, I apply the changes to similar photos. Add metadata. Then if there are photos that need more work, export to PS.

Thank you fellows! I will try it.

If you have iPhone 7..this subscription also includes LR mobile. It is extraordinary. You can take RAW pictures with your iPhone, then, magically, you will see the same files in your desktop LR. You can edit either in your iPhone or your desktop.

To me both programs are indispensable for different reasons. Lightroom excels at basic adjustments like color, contrast, cropping and lens corrections. Within your first 10 minutes after installation you will be able to accomplish much of what you need to do without reading an encyclopedia sized book. Photoshop handles everything you will ever need to do but is cumbersome and difficult to learn. To get the full benefits of Photoshop could take years of study and practice.
Lightroom started as image cataloging software and has progressively added image processing capabilities. Because of this it is great for organizing and cataloging your work while also handling basic processing.
Lightroom should be thought of more as a RAW image processor where your work begins before moving to Photoshop. It's biggest benefits are that it is a non-destructive process and that it does it's work very efficiently. I use Lightroom to get an image close to a final product before moving it to Photoshop for some finishing touches. Oftentimes no Photoshop work is required after making basic adjustments in Lightroom. Lightroom never makes changes to the original file. What it does is store adjustments in it's catalog and uses them before displaying or outputting an image. Because of the way it does this successive adjustments are cleaner and proper workflow is much less important.

What Phantom of the Gorge said!!!!!

If you have iPhone 7..this subscription also includes LR mobile. It is extraordinary. You can take RAW pictures with your iPhone, then, magically, you will see the same files in your desktop LR. You can edit either in your iPhone or your desktop.
I wonder if it's possible to transfer DNG's from a Phantom to the mobile device and edit in LR Mobile. I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the idea!

I think that Lightroom and Photoshop are complementary and very different each other.

With lightroom you can organize and apply a basic color/light adjustment to your raw files.

With photoshop you can go deep on the retouching process like for example remove elements, blend layers with infinite options, use smart objects... etc..

I tried Lightroom but found it kind of crippled and not to my liking. I prefer manual importing through Finder and then using Adobe Camera Raw for adjusting meta-data. Then finish off in PS.

I thank you for the suggestions, nice to know what the program is about.

I tried Lightroom but found it kind of crippled and not to my liking. I prefer manual importing through Finder and then using Adobe Camera Raw for adjusting meta-data. Then finish off in PS.

I thank you for the suggestions, nice to know what the program is about.
What do you mean by crippled?

I can't help but wonder if perhaps you just haven't given it enough time. I have had many discussions with other photographers and you are the first to rate it less than a great tool to use. I am still using LR 4 but can't imagine having to go without it. It saves so much time.

LR is primarily a catalog tool with basic editing features that you'll use 90% of the time. It's perfect for batch editing of photos that don't require a ton of work like vacation photos or controlled environment photos. PS is a pixel level editor that most importantly has layers to do the editing. You really do need both.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl