Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Lightbridge vs WIFI for control

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by newflyer, May 9, 2016.

1. newflyer

Hi,

So I'm ready to take the plunge and purchase a phantom 3 but haven't been able to figure out one thing:

I know that lightbridge on the P3A allows great video for FPV over a much longer distance compared to the P3S's wifi, but is this only for downlink video? What about the RC controller end?

forgetting the video - can the P3A be controlled farther compared to a P3S or is the RC link really the same between the two? Is lightbridge also used to CONTROL the drone or just for the video end? If not, I would assume they would be similar control range in a dense urban environment.

Thoughts?

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Lightbridge handles both video and control signals.
    Anyone that's flown wifi drones and Lightbridge knows that Lightbridge is about 10 times better than wifi for video and control and distance.
    It's night and day, no contest.

3. dg8882

I only own a p3s but as far as I know the control is also sent with lightbridge. The effective control range is greatly increased. And will fly much farther than the wifi. I would probably go for lightbridge if you want distance and have the money. I'm personally happy with my p3s.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. ryantrax

From DJI's site:

Phantom 3 Advanced:
    RC Max Transmission Distance Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
    Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant

Phantom 3 Standard:

RC Max Transmission Distance FCC: 1000 m; CE: 500 m (outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))

I have the P3A and love the Light Bridge, worth the extra $$ IMHO.

5. newflyer

so the P3S DOES use lightbridge for the control channel?

In that case the actual flying range should be identical to the P3A (just won't get the video downlink that far since video is wifi only on the P3S)?
    According to the phantom website, the control range is much less for the P3S - as ryantrax mentions above as well.

so the question is who is right? I'm assuming their website is correct and there is no lightbridge control channel for the P3S

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's correct ... there is no Lightbridge in the Standard.
    The only Phantoms using Lightbridge are the P3 Adv & Pro and the P4.

7. Fplvert

No. The Standard uses WIFI, while the Advanced and Pro use Lightbridge.

8. Hemar174

i had the p3s and now i have the p3a .... the difference its huge, 600m whit the standard and a lot of video and transmission lost .. vs 4km whit the advanced, whit the video and control channel whit no lost of signal at all... the extra money for the advanced worth every penny

9. rdandy5875

I agree and similarly, also had the P3S, sold it, now the P3A. P3A is what I wanted all along. I outgrew the range on the P3S after, well, the first flight.