Legal altitude

Reaction score
Here Transport Canada says "Don't fly higher than 90 m (300 feet) above the ground." What??? Don't think many people follow that rule. What do you guys think? Can I go higher? How high do you go?

Last edited:
Well, nobody probably wants to go "On Record" on the internet admitting what they have done. But I would suspect that 400 is thrown out the window way out away from civilization where even airplanes don' fly on a normal route. But what do I know?o_O

Hi, im new to this group. in the UK you are allowed to fly to 122m or 400feet. The reason the hight limit is set is that aeroplanes fly from 500feet and above so it give the uk a 100ft safety buffer. Also helicopters/microlights can fly lower. If the limit in your country is 90m then you could be prosecuted if you flew higher. Drone user get loads of bad press and I think the authorities are going to start prosecuting people soon. But thats just my thoughts. I would keep to the rules and promote safe fights. Keep to the drone code and you wont go wrong.

Reactions: Wessex
In the US it is for sure 400 feet. I don't know who took this picture, but it sure looks high.

Attachments

• DJI_9.JPG
    DJI_9.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 475
Reactions: Banksy
Ok. Thanks guys. The person I got my p3p from told me that he thinks it is 500 feet witch is 152 meters. But transport Canada says it's 90m witch Is 300 feet. So
idk.
Some guy sounds a lot more likely to know what the rules in Canada are than the government body administering the rules would ????
What would Transport Canada know ?

Reactions: Oso and Casper`s P4
Iam from Canada as well and all the drone regulations and rules are on the transport Canada site , states that you cannot fly higher than 90 meters wich is 300 feet ,
Do:
  • Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather.
  • Keep your drone where you can see it with your own eyes – not through an on-board camera, monitor, or smartphone.
  • Make sure your drone is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example: Are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
  • Respect the privacy of others. Avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.
Don't:
  • Don't fly in clouds or fog.
  • Don't fly closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e., any airport, heliport, helipad, or seaplane base).
  • Don't fly higher than 90 m (300 feet) above the ground.
  • Don't fly closer than 150 m (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
  • Don't fly in populated areas or near large groups of people, including at sporting events, concerts, festivals, or firework shows.
  • Don't fly near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
  • Don't fly within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, or forest fires.
  • Don't fly anywhere you may interfere with first responders.

Keep in mind that the app on your phone logs the specifics of each flight that you fly your Quad. Some of that info may find its way to the DJI server. So the odds are the authority can access those flight logs. Does that mean that I will never fly above 400'?
Just be really careful where you are when you do it. Like flying into the clouds is not a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I;ve always thought limit was 400', I guess that's a USA limit, but, your right, Canada rules state 300'. I do try & stay to limits, even though I;m out in the sticks. You get those home builts, & Military heli;s too, that fly very close to the 400' limits. With home builts, you get a warning they are coming as they are loud & slow, but, the helio's, seem to come out of nowhere & are on you in seconds!
I had a military helicopter fly over me on Sunday, man he looked to be at my height, but, I guess its the scale of them as he passed by he was 100's of feet above my P3A.

Don't:
  • Don't fly in clouds or fog.
  • Don't fly closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e., any airport, heliport, helipad, or seaplane base).
  • Don't fly higher than 90 m (300 feet) above the ground.
  • Don't fly closer than 150 m (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
  • Don't fly in populated areas or near large groups of people, including at sporting events, concerts, festivals, or firework shows.
  • Don't fly near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
  • Don't fly within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, or forest fires.
  • Don't fly anywhere you may interfere with first responders.

OK :) How about at 500m above the cloud and fog at 3110m altitude. Is that OK?

YouTube

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor