Larger batteries for the Phantom?

Reaction score
Is there any one out there how have tried a larger battery on the phantom. I Have a customize 2 axis gimbal from rc-drones. The Gimbal makes it possible to use two batteries or one larger.

I have used two 22000 3s c25 11,1V. The phantom flies good with that. I also use fat shark predator V2 for the fpv. My flight time with go pro hero 3, and two batteries (pararell connections) and fpv was 12 minute.

The total weight was 1267 grams. I don't think its safe to fly the phantom with that weight, or???

But i i use one larger battery feks 4000 mAh then the totale wight will be 1195 gram total. I Have order new pros Graupner 8X6, and hope this props will help as well

Any one have some experience withe a larger batteries, and what was the flight time? Can someone tell the different between orginal props vs graupner?

Regards Bjorn
(Here is some photo of my Phantom custom

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,555
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,423
I haven't much experience, but boy I'd say you're pushing the threshold!

It takes x amount of energy to keep a heavier-than-air craft aloft.
adding more weight requires more energy...
but keep in mind that you'll be requiring the motors to work harder and putting more stress on the props.
I'd imagine you'd get much more stable (and safer) flights switching to the Graupners, tho unsure if you'd be putting too much stress on the motors if you went with 9'" vs the regular 8" props

Thanks!

Yeah i think you are right! I have removed the gimbal (130 grams), and put on some lighter lipo batteries. My experience with the gimbal, is that it gives more jello to the video.

Now I am using the original go pro hero 3 case, with robber mount scrues. And offcourse two lipo 2200 3s 25c 11,1 batteries (161 grams). I dont know the total weight now, but it`s much more lighter. There is no signs of jello :)

I will post a foto if somebody is interested too se my new upgrade.

Regard
Bjorn

Bjorn Thore said:
Thanks!

Yeah i think you are right! I have removed the gimbal (130 grams), and put on some lighter lipo batteries. My experience with the gimbal, is that it gives more jello to the video.

Now I am using the original go pro hero 3 case, with robber mount scrues. And offcourse two lipo 2200 3s 25c 11,1 batteries (161 grams). I dont know the total weight now, but it`s much more lighter. There is no signs of jello :)

I will post a foto if somebody is interested too se my new upgrade.

Regard
Bjorn
Ok, I'll bite. Post them up. So, were the videos unusable? Did you try to get the jello out of the gimbal, or was the Phantom just not powerful enough with it on?
I too use the original case and use the upside down function on the Hero3. No dampening material used,and I dont have any jello in my videos using the 960 @ 100fps. What settings do you use?

Here is some vid with the gimbal, you will see the disturbance in the vid. the last vid is with the Go PRO case (robber mount). The picture is perfect enough.

Too me it was clearly the gimbal that made the jello. I have also tried the gopro case with almost the same weight, and no jello.

All the shoots is with gopro hero 3 silver edition 720, 60 frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MF4VfT ... e=youtu.be

Here is a photo of my upgraded phantom.

Regards
Bjorn

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,418
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,461
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,361
Interesting. Sounds like Gimbals are kind of hit-or-miss.
(one of the video's that pops up on the side of your youtube movie it titled "Gimbal solved Jello"!@# :cry:

i believed gimbals are used to level the camera when the craft goes into roll and pitch, not as a way to eliminate the jello.

Bjorn Thore said:
I Think here is the answer the for the Jello..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ7p0FNsqPU

"nothing you can do about it"

for the most part this is not entirely true. the jello effect is partially and primarily due to the camera being shaken by the vibrations coming off of the phantom. likewise if the gimbal itself is not moving smoothly due to a bad motor, this will also cause the jello effect. the following link provides further information on the cmos rolling shutter effect. hope it helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Nonsense. Reduce the vibration and you reduce the effect. Balancing the props makes a huge difference. You can find a number of before/after videos on YouTube that demonstrate this. Using isolation mounts also showed a marked improvement. Putting an ND filter on the GoPro also seems to help as seen in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12psgQFBNbU[/youtube].

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl