Laptop purchase

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So looks like my phenom x4 620 2.6ghz with4gb and a Radeon 4650 is NOT going to cut the mustard for my 4K video editing exploits..

Had enough of desktops anyway.. So shopping time !

I intend to be able display 4K comfortably on the move to show clients results, marketing etc. I'll be using it at home for editing said video from the phantom 3 pro.

I've almost settled on the following: actually I'll screenshot this to save typing a load of specs !
b23bea9ee450187d1ab5075869770969.jpg

So I'm researching, doing comparisons with the specs to see what's what .. But you know the net. Not best for such things as some love it, some complain it's not a 'real' i7 processor as only has two physical cores, some say AMD's Gfx chips can't touch Nvidia (but it's near impossible to find this spec with an Nvidia car for the £550 I can get the above for (that's $789 ;)

I'm use premier pro, I use a ps4 for gaming, so not fussed about that.. Just smooth, stutter free processing, grading and decent rendering times .

Would really appreciate some input as it will take forever to absorb enough info to get back up to date on all the available specs.. Obv a while since I bought this existing desktop [emoji106]

Thanks !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think it's time for me to get a new laptop too. I currently have a 2011 MacBook Pro (specs attached). It can't handle 4K video very well (it can process it but can't edit or view it). Also, it freezes when I'm programming (In Xcode), so I guess thats just another excuse to get a new laptop ;). BTW, the Dell laptop that you're looking at looks pretty good for its price.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 1.17.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 1.17.16 PM.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 337
I have a PC with about the same specs (video display is also the same but my video card is a little less beefy). I can edit 4k video fine for the most part. However, it gets a bit slow when I start doing things like slowing down or speeding up video. From what I see, top of the line Mac Books appear to edit video much better. However, I also suspect the editing software has a lot to do with it.

Displaying rendered video works flawlessly so that is not an issue.

The laptop I'm using is the Lenovo Yoga 900 with i7m, 16GB RAM and 512 SSD.

Hi guys thanks for the replies [emoji106] I finally decided on an MSI GE72, has i7-5700 (faster than 6500, 6700, 5500 etc) and is a true quad unlike the 6500u for eg. Comes with 1tb of 7200rpm drive and a 128gn ssd for the Os (Windows 10, but about to change that !) has a 2gb gtx 960m. 17.3" screen (HD not 4k) but outputs to 2 other monitors at 4K.

Managed to snipe it on eBay for £599, usually about £849 (was the Buy it now price).

Apart from owt else it looks sweet as hell heehee

So while the screen on the above Dell may look better (but smaller) I think in general the MSI specs blow it out the water [emoji106] seems nice to use.

Would share a good tip of going for a gaming laptop as these a designed with speed of processor/memory/Gfx in mind.. Which suits the video stuff well [emoji106]

Oh and it'll take 3 X m.2 ssd's in a raid configuration touching 1gbps speeds [emoji50][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm getting my wife the leveno yoga 900 for Christmas.
Primarily for editing her hobby. Pics and videos.
So with the phantom 3 standard are you saying maby bot the best laptop for this purpose?

Need advice thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl