LAANC approval and contacting airports before takeoff.

The FAA silliness hopefully will level of, eventually. I had a construction site job in a 100 ft grid. Cranes all over the place, tallest one at least 250 ft. Wanted 300 but was granted 250 but had to :
  • The UAS shall not fly higher than the tallest crane, 250 feet, at any time.
  • The UAS will remain within a 500 foot radius of the tallest crane.
We are both manned pilots and you know how silly that restriction was. Is a chopper pilot going to come weaving between cranes, below 250? I got the job done, but really...o_O

I working in a three story building along the approach path to Rwy 19 at KFRG, probably 2 miles from the threshold. It would be great to spend time flying a drone during my lunch hour while remaining below the height of the building and within a 200 or 300 foot radius. A more practical rule, versus restrictions to the surface within a 5 mile radius, would be allowing flight no higher than the tallest structure within an XXX number foot radius of the structure. Maybe have a 1 mile radius around the airport down to the surface, 2 miles out a 200 foot base, 3 miles a 300 foot base, etc. I've seen thousands of planes landing at the airport. I've landed at the airport hundreds of times. Not once have I seen a plane or helicopter below 500' or anywhere close to the height of the building.

I'm waiting for BigAl to give a seminar, Id pay for that . He's my best source for answers

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Ansia
Sometimes the rules just leave your head shaking, but we all need to do our best with what we have. I need to do a roof mapping job and the buildings are 2.1 miles from the end of a runway in Class D airspace. The grid ceiling there is 50 FEET !! There is a spire on one of the buildings that is taller than 50 feet. I did not get out there to measure the roof height, but it is probably 35 to 40 feet and there are trees taller than the building right next to it. So it will be a mess trying to map it at 50 feet AGL.

We all know there won't be any aircraft flying at 50 feet or even 100 feet over those buildings. So I have LAANC authorization to 50' AGL and on the morning of the job I will need to call ATC and ask what they will allow me to fly at for a brief period of time.

It's an inconvenience but it's something that I can live with if it means safer airspace for everyone.

Sometimes the rules just leave your head shaking, but we all need to do our best with what we have. I need to do a roof mapping job and the buildings are 2.1 miles from the end of a runway in Class D airspace. The grid ceiling there is 50 FEET !! There is a spire on one of the buildings that is taller than 50 feet. I did not get out there to measure the roof height, but it is probably 35 to 40 feet and there are trees taller than the building right next to it. So it will be a mess trying to map it at 50 feet AGL.

We all know there won't be any aircraft flying at 50 feet or even 100 feet over those buildings. So I have LAANC authorization to 50' AGL and on the morning of the job I will need to call ATC and ask what they will allow me to fly at for a brief period of time.

It's an inconvenience but it's something that I can live with if it means safer airspace for everyone.

Well said :)

When I wrote this thread, I was hoping you would answer, knowing you had it. Thanks for that.

Before LAANC had the automatic authorization, I would get the permission with the FAA webpage and had to call the airports to notify them exactly when I would be flying.

I have another question. If I'm flying in a 100' ceiling area, but I'm doing an inspection of a building that is aprox. 180', am I allowed 100' over the building like normal?
Yes

No that is not correct.

In a 100' ceiling grid area you can only go to 100' AGL MAXIMUM !!! Your LAANC authorization even specifically says it is a hard limit from the ground. You cannot apply the limit above any other structure.

Reactions: Ansia

Absolutely NOT! You can not mix & match rules like this. If you're flying under a LAANC approval your altitude limits are ABSOLUTE. Other than avoiding some in-air disaster you are to remain at or below the altitude limit PERIOD!! If you deviate from the approval limit you are required to submit a report of such.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72