Just realized the motors are canted

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been grounded all winter so today I fired up my P3P with my new iPhone 6S to make sure all the components were still working. Everything went well until the landing. As I went to pull the sticks down and in to shut down the props, I must have not pulled one of the sticks correctly because the bird tipped over and drove two of the props into the ground. Luckily no damage was done (that I could see) and a subsequent flight was uneventful.

After all the flying was done I was looking at the motors to make sure there was no damage or cracks when I noticed the motor was not sitting straight in its mount. I said to myself, "Hmmm. Did I dislodge the motor when it flipped?" Then I looked at the other motors and they were all tilted a little bit in their mounts. Further investigation showed that the motors with the black tipped props were tilted one way and the motors with the silver tipped props were tilted the other way. I finally reasoned that this must be intentional on the part of DJI and is probably designed to compensate for torque or something similar.

I have never seen this mentioned on the forum and wonder if any of you have a plausible explanation?

See accompanying pictures and you'll notice the motors are canted just a bit.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG

Don't worry, this is intended design to keep the bird stable during maneuvers.

Consider using the ascend/descend left stick to stop the motors with just one hand, eliminating the risk of tipping.

After landing, simply pull the left ascend/descend stick straight to the bottom until motors stop, usually it takes about 2 seconds or so.

Everything went well until the landing. As I went to pull the sticks down and in to shut down the props, I must have not pulled one of the sticks correctly because the bird tipped over and drove two of the props into the ground.

What Air Ontario said. No need to use the CSC to shut the Phantom down on landing.

Reactions: Air Ontario
Yes, CSC is one way to tip the bird when the motors are running!
Simon Newton (on the kitchen table) has a video that specifically address this .

Consider using the ascend/descend left stick to stop the motors with just one hand, eliminating the risk of tipping.

After landing, simply pull the left ascend/descend stick straight to the bottom until motors stop, usually it takes about 2 seconds or so.
Slightly off topic, but I use the "pull the throttle stick down" technique to shut my motors off after landing, but I've been scared to death that the same motion will shut them off mid-flight.

Is it safe to pull the stick all the way down mid-flight and hold it there to rapidly descent, or will the motors shut off while I'm descending? I looked in the manual but couldn't find a satisfactory answer and don't want to risk testing it.

Thanks!

Throttle full down is not the same as a CSC (both sticks down and in). You can hold full throttle down to descend from altitude, but the motors won't shut off unless the aircraft is stationary (landed or caught or stuck in a tree) for 2-3 seconds.

I pull all the way down during flight all the time. It won't shut motors off unless it's on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I didn't know about stopping the motors by just pulling the ascend/descend stick straight down. I'll check it out as soon as it stops raining!

Thanks for all the useful replies.

Kevin H.

I didn't know about stopping the motors by just pulling the ascend/descend stick straight down. I'll check it out as soon as it stops raining!

Thanks for all the useful replies.

Kevin H.
Since it's raining, if you want to practice it once or twice before flight to get the feel of it, you can do it on the kitchen table. Take off props, boot up controller and aircraft as usual (no app or device required). Start motors as usual. Then hold throttle stick down to shut motors off.

Or use the simulator.

Check the video "on the kitchen table" which was talked about above. I ran into the same problem. The input when pulling down and in for a quick second registers as movement command before shutting down. I to would on occasion tip over, just use the left stick to throttle all the way down when in the ground and your motors will shut down without making and other movements. They will not shut down when done in the air, only when it knows it's on the ground will they shut down so don't worry about pulling stick all the way down when flying, it won't shut down. But again, watch the video and it will explain it very clearly. Hope that helps-

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The csc should only be used for starting the motors and shutting them down in an emergency situation. The correct way to shut down the motors on landing is to hold left stick down in the centre with no other input. The phantom will know its safe as it will be on the ground and not moving. This way you get a nice clean shutdown.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl