Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

I read the entire thread and I'm looking at the log, 15.837V, 3.8V/cell at TO. That, by every definition in electrical engineering theory, is nominal for a 15.2 "rated" battery. You can continue to try and make that the argument, but that isn't the argument.

The net-net of the entire thread should be, always take off with a 100% charged battery. DJI is clear on that.
It is not the take off voltage that is critical for a partially discharged battery. The voltage when flying can be much lower when flying, especially on used batteries when they are are not still warm from flying. The internal resistance of LiPos increases at lower temperatures, at lower battery voltages, with age and after much useage. How you store batteries can also cause batteries to deteriorate faster. However taking off with a fully charged battery insures that the battery is warm when it gets to the lower voltages

I am in Port Credit also but a newby with a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced
My daughter and son in law sail a 40 ft it was in that race and came 2nd in class
Can I get in touch with you?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think on this thread I saw a really great video of a sailboat race from Port credit called the Susan Hood race
I have searched the site for ages and can't find it again
Can any one help
Would like to contact the author
Thanks

Sorry found it on page 6.... Great video

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Interesting you mention this, took mine out today and noticed battery was about 46% (battery life has done ~20 flights) 7:13 flight time, had not been used for 12-14 days and must have started the battery self discharge process, zipping around fine for about 1 minute into the flight had a message pop up "Propulsion output limited, aircraft mobility has been lowered" I missed seeing this first one and at 4 minutes it appeared again I immediately did a return to home and once within arms reach hovered down to critical for a full recharge, I will look into the logs some time to see if it is an individual cell causing this maybe lower from the auto discharge process than the rest or something.
I like the advice Full Charge 95+% before every flight.

You were lucky, I think you dodged a bullet there

I just flew my p3p out about 200 ft off the deck and over the ocean about 150 ft. It was doing great and then all of a sudden it lost power. It plunged into the ocean like I have never seen before. My heart skipped a beat. I saved and saved for this thing and eventually had to trade a truck to get one. It was too far out to swim for it. My wife is extremely mad and I'm hoping it washes up on shore tonight and I can retrieve it tomorrow. This post was really to let people know...it doesn't matter how much you trust your drone. If you want to keep it..don't go over water.

I lost my Phantom 2 in the ocean as well a year ago. I think mine was a failed motor or possibly i was going down to fast and there might of been a down draft. We could see the lights still on from the condo and i was able to retrieve it. I disconnected power rinsed it in fresh water and then dryed it out a couple of weeks but no luck. lost my GoPro and new 3d gimbal as well. upgraded to Phantom 3 pro and have not had a issue yet. i feel your pain though happened in front of a crowd at my birthday party, lol.

Thank you for posting this unfortunate event. We all benefit from analyzing any type of failure. In this case it is clear that the battery was not partially charged. It was almost totally discharged. The highest cell voltage was 1.6. When I see 1.5 volts it is time to land immediately. Also there have been several cases on this forum documenting the fact that you can not trust the % charge display on the GO app. A good procedure is to lift off and hover a few seconds and check the VOLTAGE display on the DJI GO app.

Just to update everyone...DJI sent me a new bird! I received it today and I am now researching on how to properly upgrade the software.
Wow, that is amazing. This has improved my opinion of DJI dramatically.

Honestly it was because my approach to them was, help me understand why this why this went wrong and not give me something before I take you to court. Also a employee that is on the DJI forum on their site also made sure that they looked at the logs and made the right decision so hats off to him.

Reactions: Numone and GKPK
Honestly it was because my approach to them was, help me understand why this why this went wrong and not give me something before I take you to court. Also a employee that is on the DJI forum on their site also made sure that they looked at the logs and made the right decision so hats off to him.
Delighted for you Jason, well done.... and well done DJI for great customer service too!

Clearly I am fairly new to this site by the number of post. I appreciate everyone's help. As for some of you. Go take a your perfect "OP" asses and get lost. I don't need your input. It didn't take me long at all once someone asked the questions. No I don't sit on this site and read every thread. I have lot of other stuff going on. And as far as the inspire comment. Yes someone had one yesterday I saw it and guess what my bank account says I can get one. Am I upset about losing my p3p absolutely...if you don't get upset about losing 1k it would explain why you would get on here and bash someone's post. Even if my post was like another people are clearly learning from this post. So I must not be the only one. I'm glad to have helped even one more pilot not lose their drone like I did. Sorry for the rant...for those that have positive input I really appreciate your input. And thank you from the new pilots on the forum in sure we all appreciate not getting bashed about our uneducated phantom flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Right On Brother.

Clearly I am fairly new to this site by the number of post. I appreciate everyone's help. As for some of you. Go take a your perfect "OP" asses and get lost. I don't need your input. It didn't take me long at all once someone asked the questions. No I don't sit on this site and read every thread. I have lot of other stuff going on. And as far as the inspire comment. Yes someone had one yesterday I saw it and guess what my bank account says I can get one. Am I upset about losing my p3p absolutely...if you don't get upset about losing 1k it would explain why you would get on here and bash someone's post. Even if my post was like another people are clearly learning from this post. So I must not be the only one. I'm glad to have helped even one more pilot not lose their drone like I did. Sorry for the rant...for those that have positive input I really appreciate your input. And thank you from the new pilots on the forum in sure we all appreciate not getting bashed about our uneducated phantom flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Bravo. Facebook is even worse.

I agree. I still consider myself fairly new even though I'm on my second drone. My first on ended up in a lake as far as I tell and it's still a mystery as to what went wrong. I'm blaming myself for pilot error. I was flying a waypoint mission then took manual control for a landing. I had a visual then looked away at my monitor and when I looked back up there was nothing. Back to the basics of your post. I agree "bashing" in uncalled for. If you have nothing positive to add we don't need negative attitudes. Criticizing a pilot adds nothing and make you look like a true *******.

Reactions: pomonabill220
The Inspires are down to 2, as in thousand dollars.

I just want to say, I think the OP has been humble in the face of a lot of unnecessarily strong opposition.

Chris
What does OP means ?

Congrats

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl