Just bought my first Drone

Reaction score
I just placed an order for P4pro from Advexure. I"m really excited (as much as a 71 yr old man can). My son has an Inspire 1 and he has given me the bug to fly.
I'm hoping it will cause me to get outdoors more.

I love this forum.

Welcome to the forum, young man, from one much older than you. While you are awaiting your P4P, do spend your waking hours watching the several videos on line about how to fly your Phantom, about safety, and about the FAA regulations pertaining to flying a UAS in the public air space. Once you acquire your Phantom, read, read, and read again the manual. Then go out and fly - baby steps at first - and have a lot of fun like the rest of us.

Please cancel your order...you are too old!:D

I know hobbies come and go, especially all the ones I've been involved in over my 53 years. However, the drone bug brings some of those hobbies together, allowing me to enjoy the ones I haven't done in a while.

I'm hoping the drone hobby and drone technology don't stagnate too badly over the years, but I can see far more restrictive laws against them, automatically limiting the hobby. Also, I'm hoping my body and mind are able to get me outside from my comfy chair when I'm 71 years old to continue to enjoy this hobby.

The Great Pumpkin is wise. If only more people would listen to him/her/it. I know I wished I had when I first started. I'm one of those AARP eligible guys too.

I welcome the advice of The Great Pumpkin as well as all others willing to contribute. I hope that I will be able to contribute as I gain experience. Prior to retiring I was a video professional, I even remember the first 2" quad reel to reel video recorder!

Originally, I thought youtube was for cat videos and watching old TV shows, but I'm finding myself on it all the time now...just not for cat videos. I can use youtube for research and how-to's on almost everything, including drones. Just as the above posters say, watch as many youtube videos as you can to soak up any bits of knowledge you can. As you know, the application of knowledge is wisdom.

I just placed an order for P4pro from Advexure. I"m really excited (as much as a 71 yr old man can). My son has an Inspire 1 and he has given me the bug to fly.
I'm hoping it will cause me to get outdoors more.

I love this forum.
I think you'll find the people here friendly, helpful and very knowledgable. (I sure have). They are right about "baby steps"+ and Tom's tech time site is DEFINITELY worth looking at. I personally find FPV glasses helpful ( I can see what I'm getting video of), and really wouldn't be without them, but I learned to fly without them initally, so I recommend that first.

You'll learn something new every single time you go up, and for me, it's been a little bit of 3 steps forward, 2 steps back, but you will be amazed at what you learn. Somebody here said, "Do something that scares you ever day", and I find that helpful, because taking those kinds of risks makes you grow and learn. The video quality speaks for itself, as you know.

It's normal to be nervous.

If you live near a no fly zone make sure you know how to unlock BEFORE you fly (I learned the hard way) so you aren't put in a hairy situation where your aircraft tries to land.

Good luck!

Welcome! I think the rest of the folks here have giving you some good advice but I would also like to tell you about the return to home function settings, please take your time and make sure you give your bird plenty of time to find all the satellites to acquire a Home point position. Also take the time to set up in your software all of the different functions of the return to home setting and familiarize yourself with what happens if you're close to your home point and hit it you might just land directly in your pool or some other place that you do not wish to land because if you're close to your home point it just lands wherever it's at not back at the home point. Watch all the videos you can about it because when you do need to use it you will want to be ready for what it does. Also do not try to fly this thing inside unless you're at least in a gymnasium the first time and during that time set your controllers signal loss to have it hover so it does not flying to the roof if you lose signal to the controller. Lastly remember after you do your firmware updates to reset all of the return to home functions in the controller which were probably be wiped out during the update.

Please except the small warning, it will make you feel like a kid again!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for all the posts. I am overwhelmed by the friendship each one of them portray. I will certainly watch and learn. I also have found myself an avid YouTube viewer. I have learned much from there.
Thanks again and I look forward to many flights to talk about.

Reactions: Feez
As has been said, learn everything you can. I read the manual twice and watched videos. The other thing I would add is learn everything you can about the dji go app. Flying became much less nerve racking once I learned the app and became confident in it. I haven't had so much fun with something in many years.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It gets me out more for sure. Enjoy your pet and the one bit of advice I would give is to not rush anything. If was bought for a hobby then enjoy it, use it. Have Fun

I'm 56 and my best friend and fellow drone pilot is 64. Awesome to see more of us older guys getting into this stuff! I've purchased two drones now from Advexure and they have been awesome to work with. I love the forum as well...have a good time with your drone @Old_Man

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl