JACKSONVILLE, FL Best Flying Areas And Photographic Skills

Tons of fun places to use a drone. We do a lot of boating so most of our videos are in and around the water. You'll also notice I do a lot of videos that contain both drone and GoPro clips.
There were a couple times that I lost video contact with the drone. I was nervous but everything was fine. The video reconnects automatically. You do have to take off manually and land manually.

Well just a quick update. Today I took my drone out to a local soccer complex and used the Litchi app. I was a bit worried because the location had the big light poles all over. But, I set the height to be above everything just in case. So I had the drone do a simple waypoint mission a couple of times and it did very well. I am hoping to slowly allow the drone to go further and further away (I've extended to about .75 of a mile :/). Thanks for the input and I will hopefully get a nice video up soon!

Right on! Glad you tried it out. You'll get more and more confident as you practice (Key word is practice). I've only had my phantom for a month but I had a U818A since December and I learned to fly on that (which takes a lot more skill). With the U8181A, there is no time to just hover and think about what you're going to do next, if you stop....you crash. The U818A is light, flexible, and can take crashes from 50-100 feet without a problem.

PS. I found a Jacksonville Florida Drone Group on Facebook. It's a small group but there is also there is a Florida Drone Club (group) and Florida Drone User Group as well.

Maybe someone will schedule a meet and greet soon.

I only use the Go app because I prefer to fly within line of site and don't see any need to "program" a flight.

Right on! Glad you tried it out. You'll get more and more confident as you practice (Key word is practice). I've only had my phantom for a month but I had a U818A since December and I learned to fly on that (which takes a lot more skill). With the U8181A, there is no time to just hover and think about what you're going to do next, if you stop....you crash. The U818A is light, flexible, and can take crashes from 50-100 feet without a problem.

PS. I found a Jacksonville Florida Drone Group on Facebook. It's a small group but there is also there is a Florida Drone Club (group) and Florida Drone User Group as well.

Maybe someone will schedule a meet and greet soon.
So today I stepped a little bit further and allowed the drone to do a waypoint mission throughout my neighborhood. That's a lot for me because I live in a lot of trees and such. However, I did have the drone height set at like 130ft (above the trees), and I made it fly circularly around a pond. I sent a POI in the middle of the pond. But, the camera was not pointed low enough to see the pond. I had the POI set to 3ft off the ground. I guess I will just have to play with it and see what happens. Also, how would I make the camera pan down or up slowly between waypoints? And any suggestions on cool cinematic camera shots?
Thanks!

So today I stepped a little bit further and allowed the drone to do a waypoint mission throughout my neighborhood. That's a lot for me because I live in a lot of trees and such. However, I did have the drone height set at like 130ft (above the trees), and I made it fly circularly around a pond. I sent a POI in the middle of the pond. But, the camera was not pointed low enough to see the pond. I had the POI set to 3ft off the ground. I guess I will just have to play with it and see what happens. Also, how would I make the camera pan down or up slowly between waypoints? And any suggestions on cool cinematic camera shots?
Thanks!
Hi Tyler. I believe you can adjust the camera manually during the flight to override what your waypoint mission is set at...until you get to the next point and it resets. But there is an option for "interpolate" which smoothly moves your camera from one waypoint setting to the next. So first you would select "POI" and select the specific point of interest you already set (this will automatically set your camera pitch to the right degree) then click the "interpolate" option for each of the waypoints. It'll make the camera pitch changes much smoother.
On Litchi's Mission Hub on the desktop version you can export your missions to CSV files. Feel free to share sometime and I can take a look.

Hi Tyler. I believe you can adjust the camera manually during the flight to override what your waypoint mission is set at...until you get to the next point and it resets. But there is an option for "interpolate" which smoothly moves your camera from one waypoint setting to the next. So first you would select "POI" and select the specific point of interest you already set (this will automatically set your camera pitch to the right degree) then click the "interpolate" option for each of the waypoints. It'll make the camera pitch changes much smoother.
On Litchi's Mission Hub on the desktop version you can export your missions to CSV files. Feel free to share sometime and I can take a look.
Okay, I will try that out with my simple mission is did in the neighborhood. I also looked up a little tutorial on Litchi waypoints and it explained a lot.
With that said, I actually logged into the Online Hub and clicked on the discover tab and in revealed all of the missions people have published online. I did see your whole St. Augustine trip on the map and I loaded up the waypoint mission just to see your camer angles and such! So sometime soon I will get out and mess around with POI and the camera angle settings as you said! Thanks

Reactions: JxBx80
Well I know this thread has not been active in a while but I recently bought a MacBook Pro and Adobe Premiere to edit with. I put together a little video of one flight I did around the I intracoastal area. Here is the link: Tyler Welsh
I do plan on using the litchi app to focus of the broken Jax Beach Pier! I think that would be a great video! Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Hi Tyler. I tried to click the video but it didn't work for me.

Also, quick question. When I fly around, just about anywhere, I don't always have 100% RC and Video signal. Sometimes when I fly at the beach by the end of the pier, my RC signal drops to around 70%. That scares me because I don't want to lose connection with it when I'm not doing a waypoint mission. It is a very scary moment . Is that normal? Will I still keep control of the drone if the signal drops? I feel like my distance is limited when it really shouldn't be (especially at the beach with NOTHING around). I have seen many videos of people flying a good distance off shore and I can't seem to do that. Maybe I'm just paranoid about what will happen. Thoughts??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl