It's getting on top where I fly

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if we can or can,t fly on National Trust land????
I was flying my drone responsibly when a ranger came up to me and said it is no longer permitted for drones to fly at any National Trust land in UK England
places like forests, parks, so on and so on....what!!!!!!

It's getting me down can,t fly at the parks near public places roads wild life other people's land. It sucks
Where can I go with out some one or the warning signs on my iPad telling me sry!!! You can,t fly here
I don,t no how the droning Community thing but I think it's sucks

This is a copy of a post in another forum (private) however I'm sure the writer won't mind me pasting this here. Whereabouts in the UK are you - I'm in Leicestershire.

So I have been harassing Sheffield council and The peak parks reply below

Thank you for contacting the Peak District National Park.

We currently don’t have a policy on the use of model aircraft and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s or drones), especially as a large area of the Peak District National Park is in private ownership.

The use of drones is regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority and anyone using a drone has to follow basic safety rules to ensure that members of the public are protected. There are two sets of regulations which apply to the use of drones in the UK, whether they are being used for commercial or recreational purposes.

· aviation regulations which are enforced by the CAA; and,
· data protection regulations which apply where the drone is used for capturing personal data and which are enforced by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

The British Model Flying Association offers advice and guidance on the current legal situation regarding model aircraft and drones.
With regard to CROW and Access Land, the situation is unclear and we may find that clarification is sought from the courts regarding whether drone and model aircraft flying is a right, and what limitations there are on any such rights. Our current advice from DEFRA is:
Whilst it is true to say that the Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW) does not specifically exclude such activities from the rights granted under Part 1, we note that it doesn’t specifically include such activities either. Depending on your point of view, it may be reasonable to assume that such activities form part of ‘open air recreation’ but we are not in a position to confirm this or offer any legal advice on the matter.
In the absence of any firm legal ruling on the issue, we would further recommend that… club(s) or individual members negotiate with relevant landowners and liaise with other interested parties and organisations, particularly those who may be carrying out lawful activities on the land, whether by virtue of CROW, other legislation or agreement with relevant landowners.
Whether or not rights to fly model planes are granted by CROW, we would also direct you to the clauses at Schedule 2 of CROW, most notably (q), (r) & (s), which are designed to prevent disruption of lawful activities by any user of access land and (in the case of (s)), to control organised activities.
As part of their own byelaws and without the necessary required qualification and a licence granted by them, drones may not be permitted to fly over land owned by organisations such as the National Trust or the RSPB. We would suggest that the user checks with the relevant organisation first. Clearly with this being such a grey area we would always recommend that the user seeks consent from the landowner, especially where there is potential for disturbance to other people or wildlife.

If you have concerns about the use of drones in any area, either from a safety or privacy perspective, then you should contact your local police. The CAA does not investigate complaints of drone misuse.

We hope you find the above information useful.

I find flying early (dawn) morning and fly at a minimum 50m agl and if it's a sensitive area I restrict flights to 2 batteries then move on. Hope this helps!

"All aerial activity above our sites is prohibited unless specific permission is granted, according to an existing byelaw. The overall legal position regarding drones is somewhat unclear and subject to forthcoming government consultation." - taken from NT own website

I know this doesn't answer your question but it may help you find a few places to fly. Like you I and to fly and I want to do it without causing issues. I live a short drive from the country and have been known contact with a local farmer, I used Google maps to find a nice big open field or two and then found the farm. I approached the farmer who was more than happy to let me fly and showed a huge interest in the drone. I have his mobile and always text when km going flying so he knows it's me and J have also sent him areial shots of his field. He loved this as unbeknown to me it showed up his drains and some issues for him to address. He has also let me know when they are using the big equipment so I've got something interesting to film. Since our first meeting he has allowed me to use several other fields and the neighbouring farms now know me and I can fly anywhere in the area. I have never taken payment for anything and send him pics out of interest and a way if saying thanks. This way I am know to the land owners and they are so interested in what I do they come down and say hello when they know I'm there. Put the effort in and ask permission, it worked for me. Hope you find somewhere.

Interesting quote, ScouseMouse, I'm sure Richard Branson regularly asks NT's permission to fly over their property. Notice they DO NOT specify a height so I am at a loss to understand how they can police this if you happened to be taking off and landing in a public space and not on their property, after all, the airspace above their "property" is regulated by the CAA who don't "investigate drone misuse complaints"
Not worth the hassle even if all of the CAA's regulations can be shown to be complied with.

Again this doesn't address your own issue but I fly in Liverpool and usually in two of the public parks, either early morning or evening. I have spoken with park rangers who have verbally told me that as the council don't have a set policy (as yet) he would treat any case of bad/improper use of any model aircraft on an individual basis. To date I have received nothing but lots of interest in the phantom. Long may it continue

My understanding is that you can fly over NT land but nit take off or land there. Their own bye laws for the land and property they hold in trust for the nation stops all flying, including kites I believed, as they wish to provide privacy for its visitors, and prevent damage to its property.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl