It's Easter! Can I bring my Phantom 2 back to life? X9D+ & X8R?

Reaction score
In all the forums I have searched (and there have been many :rolleyes:) the most useful contributions to the subject title have come from this one. Probably because I wasn't blinded by the science and those that are writing on the subject actually own a Phantom, not just worked on a NAZA flight controller.

I have done everything within my limited sphere of competence/capability to try and make my Phantom 2 listen to 'common sense' in the form of signals that I know it's receiving from its brand new transplant in the form of a FrSKY X8R connected by SBUS to its flight controller.

The Taranis X9D Plus (LBT) is firmly bound to the X8R according to the very co-operative little green LED and I've removed the original receiver from the Phantom along with both antennae and put a servo lead from the X8R Sbus output socket into the X2 input slot on the Phantom’s flight controller. I then set up the X9D Plus with the following configuration:
CH1 – AIL

CH2 – ELE
CH3 – THR
CH4 – RUD

CH5 – Gimbal Zenmuse H3-3D holding a GoPro Hero 3 black
CH6 – IOC
CH7 – Control Modes (Manual/Atti/GPS)

I then fired up DJI Phantom 2 Assistant and in NAZA mode managed to get the programme to appear to calibrate channels 1-4.

However, nothing at all happened on the Channels 5-7 which I’d had connected to the left slider for the gimbal and switches SB & SC for 5 & 6 to be similar to the setup on the original DJI radio/controller.:rolleyes:

I tried all the usual remedies including starting again completely from scratch, including binding the X8R with the same results four times. :(

Any ideas?

Last edited:
In all the forums I have searched (and there have been many :rolleyes:) the most useful contributions to the subject title have come from this one. Probably because I wasn't blinded by the science and those that are writing on the subject actually own a Phantom, not just worked on a NAZA flight controller.

I have done everything within my limited sphere of competence/capability to try and make my Phantom 2 listen to 'common sense' in the form of signals that I know it's receiving from its brand new transplant in the form of a FrSKY X8R connected by SBUS to its flight controller.

The Taranis X9D Plus (LBT) is firmly bound to the X8R according to the very co-operative little green LED and I've removed the original receiver from the Phantom along with both antennae and put a servo lead from the X8R Sbus output socket into the X2 input slot on the Phantom’s flight controller. I then set up the X9D Plus with the following configuration:
CH1 – AIL

CH2 – ELE
CH3 – THR
CH4 – RUD

CH5 – Gimbal Zenmuse H3-3D holding a GoPro Hero 3 black
CH6 – IOC
CH7 – Control Modes (Manual/Atti/GPS)

I then fired up DJI Phantom 2 Assistant and in NAZA mode managed to get the programme to appear to calibrate channels 1-4.

However, nothing at all happened on the Channels 5-7 which I’d had connected to the left slider for the gimbal and switches SB & SC for 5 & 6 to be similar to the setup on the original DJI radio/controller.:rolleyes:

I tried all the usual remedies including starting again completely from scratch, including binding the X8R with the same results four times. :(

Any ideas?
20.06.16 I now have it working perfectly and there is one 'strange' thing that happens which I didn't anticipate.
When I use the rudder stick, the GoPro turns in the same direction. Not a problem, in fact it actually helps get a good view of what I want to see through the camera; it's as if I'd set it up to do head-tracking.

What I'd really like to do next is to be able to get the Taranis to read the information I can see on the OSD and be able to set up warnings for excess altitude (over or near 400' AGL), low battery (how can it read % remaining?) and give verbal confirmation of Course Lock, Home Lock, the different flight modes (GPS, ATTI & Manual), when failsafe is employed etc.

I'd also like to have different options open to me such as sending the Phantom to a specific height, perhaps position/distance from me and maintain position there until a certain % battery level is reached, at which time it would return to either an alternative landing point or the original take off point.

Totally off topic, but I've stopped flying with WiFi engaged on the GoPro and some baffling 'incidents' over which I had no control have stopped. I just wish I had enough money to have a system which would allow me safely to choose when to take a specific photograph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan