Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Itelite DBS Plus Bird side Antennas.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Mods' started by Davowalshy, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Davowalshy

I recently modded my vision plus with an Itelite panel and have had great results. Lately I have had a few problems though. I was about 800m out over the ocean and I angled my camera down a bit and it went straight down and wouldn't come back up. I though the bird was dropping as all I could see was water. I also lost telemetry readings a few times as well. After reading some mod stories, I just purchased 2.4 GHZ bird side antennas from FPLRV. The question I have to ask is do I need 5.8ghz antennas as well? I was told by FPLRV that the 2.4s will give me better video reception and feedback but will I lose on range without the 5.8s as well? I'm pretty new to all of this but have a lot of fun tinkering and seeing results.

2. dirtybum

Itelite panel for wifi 9-15 turn for control. (Remote) Fpvlr 2.4 dipoles for wifi spironets or fpvlr 5.8 for control(birdside)
    If theres a better combo out there i havent found it & ive tried everything. Just the itelite & 15 turn ib crazy remote i have will take STOCK p2v+ over 2 miles( i never liked the 5.8 part of itelite) ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445358095.122232.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445358125.055814.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445358152.974918.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445358174.563338.jpg

dirkclod likes this.
  3. Davowalshy

Hey Dirtybum.
    **** that's a wicked looking setup. Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions if you don't mind? I see you have 4 antennas on your bird. The installation videos I have seen (ie remove black glue of death..etc) there seems to be only two sockets for the antennas. Am I missing something? Also I haven't received my 2.4ghz Dipoles yet. I just want to find out what will happen if I just install them by themselves without the 5.8ghz(might add them down the track). Thanks for the help.

4. dirtybum

The T shaped antennas are the fpvlr 2.4 dipoles. Them combined with the itelite antenna are amazing! I've been flying 2-3 miles with full bars & i leave it on highest preview setting. Start with that mod & u will probably lose control signal at about a mile due to stock 5.8. You can get a quality helical antenna for the control & leave the receiver alone

5. dirtybum

That will get you to about 7-8000'. My buddy has the 5.8 dipoles on order. I'll let you know how they work.
    Tony from fpvlr posted a how-to for the removal of black goo. Its a great step by step & his method is the only one i've successful with times over! I suggest when your ready to, order a receiver on e-bay for cheap and do the mod on it just in case it doesnt go well youre still flyin!!

6. Davowalshy

Thanks mate. Appreciate the advice.

7. dirtybum

You can always pay me or many other guys on here to mod one for ya

8. Davowalshy

That would be awesome but I'm in Australia. Bit pricey for the airfreight. I like learning and doing myself though.

9. mandalay

@dirtybum, which 5.8 helical antenna do you use? I have a P3S modded with Itelite but I have not been able to go more than 2500ft before RC signal went out and RTH was initiated; FPV signal was still good. With stock antenna, I was able to go 3500ft. I'm thinking about adding this 5.8 antenna with the hope to improve RC signal & go further.

10. Mark The Droner

I was gonna say, that helical - the width of it looks more like a 2.4 than a 5.8. On Tony's site, all his 5.8 helicals are narrower. Can you comment on that?

Anyway, I have a six turn 5.8 helical that has gottten me out to 5400' with five bars. It turned around when I hit the edge of my safety zone, dammit. I'm looking forward to trying it again.

16,000 ft is obviously awesome range although you have the advantage of being out in a desert it looks like. I'm in the woods. I'll need to take a drive one of these days...

11. griter34

To transmit the 2.4ghz signal, you'll need a wide, thin gage cloverleaf. The thicker gage, tighter cloverleaf works better with the 5.8GHz frequency.

12. Mark The Droner

My understanding is a helical works best for long range provided you can aim it correctly.