It isn't for me...I'm ready to send it back !

I've been using 175 feet. I had it higher at 300' but it's hard to see it coming home at that height.

Thanks, in my initial flights this weekend , I was wondering about what altitude it gets hard to see… I forgot to look when I was doing my column circuit

Thanks John, a quick question what is the altitude that everybody usually sets for return to home in a suburban area. Just looking for a general number to set in there , until I can go measure buildings, I don't really have anything big near me I assume 200 feet will do it?

There is no "general number". You need to know what the highest obstacle is, should your bird need to return to home. I live in a suburban area, with some 2 story homes, but the is a 400' radio tower nearby.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I love the videos the Phantom 4 can produce. Its impressive flight and video characteristics seem intuitive and easy to use. I want the benefits of the Phantom's 4K video, with its sport tracking, intelligent mapping and long, far, high flights. But after dutifully setting up and charging my Phantom 4 and the controller, my enjoyment is overcome with conflicting firmware update methods, and with its colorful lights flashing, My Phantom 4 gets off the platform, but only after I've had enough, and I pick it up, to put it away for a while. If I hand't already 'confirmed' I was going to use it (hoping the blades would spin to life), I would carefully box it up, request a return and say good bye. But I can't, I now own it. I hate to say it, but I'm 'stuck with it'. And so I will persist. I have to, otherwise The Phantom 4 will soon be a fancy shelf sculpture. If anyone can help me please, to get the Phantom 4 to come out of its hiding and rotate to life, I will greatly appreciate it. Please, no scolding of how dumb I am, you don't know me, please, only real attempts to help. Until then, at least for the next 15 minutes, I will enjoy my fully charged, and easy to use, old 1080 video flyer, thank you, Jon.

Wow thank you for posting this. It's really meaningful and thought provoking *fart noise*

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I just got a Phantom 4 for Christmas today and spent the better part of the day watching every YouTube and DJI Vid that I could get my hands on, and I would say the learning curve is rather steep for most people. I'm a veteran of iphones, car stereo, and many other gadget forums....so firmware and all the other things I encountered today were ok....but there were a few strange messages while updating and other minor glitches.....

Outside. My first flight was OK until it came down a little bit in the bushes because return home is not exact, less than I expected......and I learned drones in 15-20 mph winds is not smart. But No harm done. Out tomorrow for my second try...... I love this technology.
As per the Manual, If you evoke RTH while the AC is within 20 meters (60 Feet) it will just land. I recommend that to verify RTH and such find a wide open field and get the bird 100 meters away. Also you can terminate RTH as long as you have a radio connection, and then land manually. "Most folks find that the automatic RTH landing is a bit heavy handed so most take over the landing duties when the bird gets into range.

I love the videos the Phantom 4 can produce. Its impressive flight and video characteristics seem intuitive and easy to use. I want the benefits of the Phantom's 4K video, with its sport tracking, intelligent mapping and long, far, high flights. But after dutifully setting up and charging my Phantom 4 and the controller, my enjoyment is overcome with conflicting firmware update methods, and with its colorful lights flashing, My Phantom 4 gets off the platform, but only after I've had enough, and I pick it up, to put it away for a while. If I hand't already 'confirmed' I was going to use it (hoping the blades would spin to life), I would carefully box it up, request a return and say good bye. But I can't, I now own it. I hate to say it, but I'm 'stuck with it'. And so I will persist. I have to, otherwise The Phantom 4 will soon be a fancy shelf sculpture. If anyone can help me please, to get the Phantom 4 to come out of its hiding and rotate to life, I will greatly appreciate it. Please, no scolding of how dumb I am, you don't know me, please, only real attempts to help. Until then, at least for the next 15 minutes, I will enjoy my fully charged, and easy to use, old 1080 video flyer, thank you, Jon.
I'm a relative newbie to the P4, having had it less than a month; with about 7 hours of flight. I like it, but I am not in love with it. I have had such difficulty with the dang phone (that won't stay on the controller), I was ready to pitch it. I'm not sure what (technical difficulties) you are experiencing, but I would like to help. if I can. My own frustrations revolved around not understanding what to do: (all the calibrations, etc.). I found YouTube to be a huge help in "how to do" things. For example: I just can't see the display on my Note4, not nearly as well as I would like. I finally am using Headplay goggles to see, and today, for the first time, I went about a 1/2 mile--great flight. But not without some anxiety, high concentration, and some questionable video issues on my SD card (likely my own fault). I am extremely frustrated that I have to take off the goggles, find the switch between video and photo and hit that just to take a picture when I am running video. My point is not to vent; it's that: there's a lot of learn and know. I mean it. You have to start slow, and take small steps (at least I do). It's not a toy, and I'm not looking to do make 'daredevil' videos. Just nice landscape photography. Even so, last week I had a tilted gimbal for one flight--didn't see it till way late. Restarted, and voila--fixed. Could be something simple going on here. There is an amazing young man named Brian who works at a placed called the "Hobby Hangar" in Chantilly VA. He is very knowledgable about quadcopters--might not hurt to give him a call. However, your post caught my eye because even though I am having great flights; I don't believe it's for me, either. Don't give up just yet. Start with the calibrations. Try the flight simulator in the DJI Go app. I learned a bit about the handling this way. You can test out the P4 in some cases using this. Make sure the switch on the RC in the the "P" position. If a battery has lost a cell; it could be that. The P4 is a pretty amazing thing. Please be specific in what you need help with, and we will all try.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl