It always happens to the other guy

That's right... I have this:
4cf880692c7cf85cde1abce73e3769cd.jpg

Mine still rock solid and have never developed any crack.

Where did you get those rubber things macoman?

I got those metal plates from eBay, but cannot find those rubbers.

Thanks,

Reactions: macoman
I have a p3p and p3a and both have had cracks around motor screws and arms. I filled them inside and outside with jb weld for plastic and all great. I fly both almost everyday with no issues. The p3p has a heavy load on it and the cracks were worse on it due to the weight it carries. 2 led spot lights, 4 avation light systems, 2 servo motors and 3 led flood lights and a second reciever board and 3 3200 ahr battries abord! It flys great but it does make cracks in arms due to weight and flying conditions.

I use these ones and make the landing very soft to the aircraft:

37e0286a2a4b46a3fe3a237e7f355471.jpg
Macoman..Is this really your bird or just a generic picture of the landing gears? If it is your quad I was wondering why you have four of the rubber gimbal shock pins installed?

I didn't notice anyone mention this but I have read that cracking in the arms, near the motors, was caused by having the braking set too high (nothing definitive on this). I looked and my breaking was set at 100% which in videos I have seen when flying the quad comes to a very abrupt stop when reverse input is given on the controller. The few threads I have read on cracking attribute the cracking to having the braking set too high. I set my braking at 85% which I hope will alleviate it having a cracking issue but still allow the quad-copter to stop without 'drifting' too much.

I didn't notice anyone mention this but I have read that cracking in the arms, near the motors, was caused by having the braking set too high (nothing definitive on this). I looked and my breaking was set at 100% which in videos I have seen when flying the quad comes to a very abrupt stop when reverse input is given on the controller. The few threads I have read on cracking attribute the cracking to having the braking set too high. I set my braking at 85% which I hope will alleviate it having a cracking issue but still allow the quad-copter to stop without 'drifting' too much.
I havent heard that ,but I believe my brak is set at 65% and I have the cracks.Tried bondic and superglue but ended up happy with 2" Clear tape .

Well it happened, after viewing several posts here on the topic of cracks my prized P3A has developed two small cracks, not on the motor mount screw but the one just inside, looks to be a screw that holds the two shell's together.

When I purchase a replacement shell is their somewhere that has a better quality? Is the replacement just as likely to crack without obvious cause as the original or was the original crack due to plastic defect what will not likely show up in the replacement.

Thanks.
A little late chiming in, but this is what I found. Had a crack on top shell by motor. Researched it on google and found some one fixed there's with plain old super glue and baking power. I tried it. seems to be working great. Don't have that link, but should be able to find it by searching for " repair phantom cracks using super glue and baking power". The baking power bonds with the glue and adds additional strength. When dry, dust off excess power. You can even finely sand the powder if needed to make it a little more flush. Plus powder is white and blends real nice with the aircraft shell. I added my own touch to the repair by puling the crack closed once glue and power applied then held it together with blue painters tape. All came out really nice.

Well it happened, after viewing several posts here on the topic of cracks my prized P3A has developed two small cracks, not on the motor mount screw but the one just inside, looks to be a screw that holds the two shell's together.

When I purchase a replacement shell is their somewhere that has a better quality? Is the replacement just as likely to crack without obvious cause as the original or was the original crack due to plastic defect what will not likely show up in the replacement.

Thanks.
Hi Guys, I purchased a Phantom 3 Pro last year and I noticed cracks appearing in similar places especially around the screw areas, well having taken the top shell of I set to work using epoxy resin to build and increase the structural strength in these weak spots, the outcome sorted I have had no problems since, but when applying the epoxy make sure you to not get any on the contact surfaces that the motors mount onto as these are set at an angle, if any epoxy did get on there it would alter the angle of the motors

Is there any reason to stress about this stress crack?
See attached pic!
Phantom 4 bought last year August 2016

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-07-21 at 17.54.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-07-21 at 17.54.23.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 280
I don't see how someone can have a hard landing on purpose. With a little practice, one can slow the descent to a point just a foot or two above the ground and then ease it down slowly. I find landing like this fun, just to see how light a touchdown I can make.
Jim
WA5TEF

Macoman..Is this really your bird or just a generic picture of the landing gears? If it is your quad I was wondering why you have four of the rubber gimbal shock pins installed?
Not mine... Pic from the internet [emoji1]

You're describing my P3A perfectly.

Just removed my guards after my first two months of ownership, but left the guard mounting plates on.

Did the screw back off thing first day of ownership. Most were OK, a few were super tight from the factory. UGH, the disparity! Glad I caught that while visiting this forum before ownership.

I always manual land on the ground (usually grass), and have the landing gear mentioned above.
:D
Nice to see them ever so slightly "flex" upon touchdown.

Having them and a gimbal guard plate installed gives me a lot of comfort.

And, OH THOSE STROBACON STROBES! Me likey! :D
STROBACON?? :D:D:D

I have a p3p and p3a and both have had cracks around motor screws and arms. I filled them inside and outside with jb weld for plastic and all great. I fly both almost everyday with no issues. The p3p has a heavy load on it and the cracks were worse on it due to the weight it carries. 2 led spot lights, 4 avation light systems, 2 servo motors and 3 led flood lights and a second reciever board and 3 3200 ahr battries abord! It flys great but it does make cracks in arms due to weight and flying conditions.
Good grief.... what the heck are you illuminating; the whole of Missouri??

Reactions: macoman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka