Isn't it time to embrace the word "drone?"

darwin-t said:
I don't like the term "drone". I don't use it.

I don't care or ever plan to stop the public from doing what they do , i call it what it is . quadcopter .

heres to beating a dead horse , all rc planes/choppers are unmanned , do you call them the D word , no .

its pretty much a toy unless you use it for your job , then its a tool . doesn't matter what it costs its just a grown ups toy .

oh and one more problem Amazon would have trying to deliver stuff . http://www.gizmag.com/skyjack-hijacks-other-drones/30055/

Not to muddy the waters with the facts, but even the military doesn't call them drones. To the military, drones are old fighter planes set up for RC and used as target practice.

And yes, we do call planes and choppers "drones." The MQ-1 Predator is a fixed-wing airplane that is commonly called a drone, though not by the Air Force.

There are many on this board who insist that "drone" is a pejorative. Continuing to do so will only perpetuate the negative connotation of the word. This approach makes the problem worse.

Some even refuse to say it. Using the phrase, "the D word" puts it in the same category as "the N word."

Fact: the news media and public call them drones. "Drone' is a synonym for unmanned aircraft, whether it carries bombs, takes pictures, or delivers a sixpack. Accept it.

This is irreversible. If every RC aircraft is called a drone, it loses its negative connotation. Continuing to point to only UAV weapon systems is not only inaccurate, but perpetuates the negative definition.

And instead of pointing out the positive uses of drones, you want to spend your efforts in changing a definition? Which is more effective?

It's a bad word if you continue to make it one.

"Toy Drone" might be a useful term to use when confronted with someone who is suspicious or creates a confrontation about flying the drone.

I know some people will object to "toy", but connotation of "toy" might help to de-escalate (is that a word?) some situations.

Regardless of my blather, we have the blessing of a flexible, dynamic, ever-changing language.

Or, you could just call it a 4 blade Baby Killer and vastly improve the image.

I have a theory that it may be more effective to not try to put out the fire of negative press with the flamible liquid of despised connotations. I guess that makes me a Bonehead.

For those who haven't been watching the ball, the tide of public opinion is well past the "over your head" stage. Why try to turn an already high tide of negative impressions onto a tidal wave of hatred? Some are really putting a lot of effort into making bad things worse.

But, just like one syllable words, pictures of a Big Mac on a cash register and the inability to read or write cursive have taken their place in society as the new intellect. With that in mind, there is obviously no need to strain ourselves with unnecessary syllables or more definitive labels.

My problem with calling them drones is that the public hears that and they immediately think they have super cameras that can spy on them. THAT is what pisses people off when they see one. They think they are being spied on.

Clipper707 said:
Not to muddy the waters with the facts, but even the military doesn't call them drones. To the military, drones are old fighter planes set up for RC and used as target practice.

And yes, we do call planes and choppers "drones." The MQ-1 Predator is a fixed-wing airplane that is commonly called a drone, though not by the Air Force.

There are many on this board who insist that "drone" is a pejorative. Continuing to do so will only perpetuate the negative connotation of the word. This approach makes the problem worse.

Some even refuse to say it. Using the phrase, "the D word" puts it in the same category as "the N word."

Fact: the news media and public call them drones. "Drone' is a synonym for unmanned aircraft, whether it carries bombs, takes pictures, or delivers a sixpack. Accept it.

This is irreversible. If every RC aircraft is called a drone, it loses its negative connotation. Continuing to point to only UAV weapon systems is not only inaccurate, but perpetuates the negative definition.

And instead of pointing out the positive uses of drones, you want to spend your efforts in changing a definition? Which is more effective?

It's a bad word if you continue to make it one.

And how do you propose changing the general public's mind on the negative connotation of the word drone? Keep in mind you have a majority of politicians and the FAA against you already.

thongbong said:
And how do you propose changing the general public's mind on the negative connotation of the word drone? Keep in mind you have a majority of politicians and the FAA against you already.

Embrace it. Engage with it. Represent well. I've had the following conversation a hundred times:

person: "Is that a drone?"
me: "Lots of folks call it that. Doesn't it look fun?"
person: "Is it carrying a camera?"
me: "Sometimes I mount one, but right now I'm just flying for the fun of it."
person: "How much does one cost?"

When they ask how much it costs, more often than not that's what our sales friends will call a "buy sign." That guy will tell his buddies how fun it must be to have a drone. It's not a bad thing.

Politicians and the FAA? I'm one of those skeptics who believes his vote doesn't count for much. Maybe it's really about the money. Brides want drones at their weddings. Amazon wants to deliver those gloves you ordered. GoPro wants to sell more cameras. Maybe the dispensaries in Colorado will deliver weed. Who knows? I can't control the FAA or my Senator.

What I can do is put a respectable face on it. I think it helps they look kind of innocent in their red stripes over white. Fly responsibly. Don't get sucked into passenger jet intakes or bounce one off the Statue of Liberty. Make beautiful videos and show folks what you can do with a drone.

I was criticized today by someone on a comments section under a web article about drones who claimed I was "helping the media" by using the word drone. I was told the masses associate drones with missiles and death. I replied by saying I am helping the hobby by using the word drone. Here's a real world example:

I just got back from flying at Golden Gate National Recreation Area. People there were delighted by my Phantom and I shared my live feed with them (as I always do.) After I hand-caught, their kids wanted to touch it. Of course, I let them touch the propellers (after I turned off everything.)

One mother asked me if what I was holding is a "drone." I told her, "yes, it is," and asked her if "drone" is a scary word to her. She replied, "no, why would it be?"

I can say with 100% certainty that not one parent there thought I was going to launch fiery missiles of death at them. When there's a bunch of happy people interacting with you and taking iphone photos of their kids touching your Phantom, the BEST thing you can do is call it a "drone."

Re: Isn't it time to embrace the word "drone?"

I won't get into the drone thing, but you flew in a place it's illegal to fly. The entire GGNRC is off limits.

You would be correct, except there's an RC field there.

Clipper707 said:
You would be correct, except there's an RC field there.

I just love a great comeback :D
A+ for your efforts with the folks there !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT