Is your P4 firmware update GOOD? Post here please!

I had a minor issue with connection to drone but after I linked them together and reset my settings.... all was good. Then I tried to put an aftermarket antenna on my remote and long story short, not a good idea on a P4P+ ..... 600.00 later though and again all good

From what I've seen and my second try is showing me, do it without your SD card in and you'll be fine.

Agreed, that's how I did it last night:

1) Format and remove the SD card from the bird
2) Upgrade to the latest DJI Go app, if you haven't already
3) Upgrade the controller (with the bird off) to the latest version
4) Power off the controller when done and start up DJI Assistant 2 on your PC of choice
5) Connect the PC to the bird and power on the bird
6) Upgrade the bird and power off when finished.
7) If you have more batteries, insert them into the bird, power it back up and perform the much shorter upgrade again.
8) Repeat step 7 for as many batteries as you have
9) You may need to relink your controller to the bird ( I had to )
10) Record videos at less than 40K30 resolution to avoid the new camera rebooting issue.

Mine is flying fine so far, and I was very nervous / skeptical to update as well.

Good luck!

I have the same problems after updating with the low motorsound when starting up, and then it wobbles and jerks when flying! So i had a call with dji a few minutes back, they know of the problem and are trying to get a new firmware update out, in the mean time they provided a hotfix that works most time, and otherwise we have to wait or send it back if i wanted to, the fix is: REMOVE sd card! Then update refresh thru dji assistant 2, then do the calibrations, and then test it to fly, but STILL WITHOUT the sd card! If it works good, you can put sd card back in and fly like normal.
I did it yesterday but without removing the sd card (didnt know it matters) so i will test i later today and let ya know

Did they say why the SD Card matters?

Updated mine and recalibrated IMU. I use Litchi to fly on most occasions tried to calibrate compass and will only do the horizontal bit but will not continue to vertical rotation, however will calibrate in Go4. flown a couple of missions and seems ok, but am less confident than before upgrade Richard F

#36Richard Fellender, A moment ago

Sadly, my P4P+ had the dreaded Air Encoder Error (0x20) so was sent for repair under warranty (that was April 20th). After the usual nonsense, DJI lost my aircraft, then sent a refurb unit which was at the old firmware revision even though fresh f/w had been announced. However it flew perfectly, so I update the controller and aircraft following the instructions....

After an apparently clean install all appeared OK. So I go to the field, power on but there is no video feed and no amount of fiddling can restore it. Back to the bench and on the phone with DJI. Yep it appears that the firmware updates cannot be installed on the refurb aircraft because of some hardware incompatibility !!!!!!! Older main board or some such.

So now its back at the DJI repair centre where no doubt it will be lost again and another non-functional refurb will be sent.

I bought my P4P in April 2017. It is now mid-July. I have flown a total of 6 batteries due to the crappy product and less than stellar customer service. What a mess.

The OP asked for advice about the f/w upgrade. It's a crapshoot - but there's a reasonable probability from all I have experienced and read, that yours will not function after the "upgrade" either.

Yesterday I had my first flight after updating an callibrating everything; when flying fowards and backwards and I slow down slighty the speed (a very soft right stick release) it jerks a lot, and the gimbal is unable to handle with it, so the video footage wobbles. Today I have done a new test. Yesterday I recalibrated the whole system and today the Compass before the flight. I have lowed brake sensitivity to the minimum (70) and attitude to 50. I have reduced the pitch gain to 85 and I have been making modifications. My impressions:
1.-The Hover is very stable, more than before the update.
2.-It seems that the problem of the horizon has improved a lot, it do not tilt with the turns. Anyway I have to test it to the sea shore to confirm it, with a completely flat horizon.
3.-Flight modes work fine, but I'm not much fan of automatic modes, so I have not tried much.
4.-The problems of aggressive braking are maintained despite of the multiple variations of the gain, sensitivity and exponential parameters. There do not seem to be significant differences between some parameters and others, as if it did not change anything at all. In fact the braking distance seems the same with the sensitivity at 100, at 85 and at 70.
5.-It seems that the stability of the gimbal has improved slightly compared to yesterday, the image no longer vibrates so much in braking (it is also true that there was no wind at all today). But just when accelerating you see for an instant the propellers (it was not in sport mode) and when braking you see the propellers and even the tip of the front arms, at speeds of less than 10 m / sec, even at 6 m / s before braking !!!!!!!.
6.-No problems with video streaming, but did not move more than 500 m.
7.- I get 2 flying time minutes less per battery

Sorry for my English. Not a good update for me. I liked the smooth response to orders my bird had before
Forgive the intrusion, Don't confuse with the 2 different sets of controls. GAIN: Only controls the effect that outside forces have on the a/c like wind, temp, berometric pressure and so on. You will notice this most while hovering 6 ft. above the ground. The stick filtering and EXP. are the setting that you will definately notice in your flight modes.

I'm looking to update my P4 but rather intimidated by all the threads about many problems people have had.

Maybe it would be good to get a better balance (or perhaps not), by posting a quick note here if your update has been sucessfull?
I have a P4Pro+ that I purchased in March of this year. My Phantom had no problems of any kind what so ever and was a dream to fly other than the fact I would start losing a signal and I had not even reached six or seven thousand feet out from my home point.
Then DJI came out with these updates that has totally screwed my Phantom Pro +. I tried contacting DJI and their horrendous technical and customer support. I would receive the generic message that I would be contacted by DJI, but they never contacted me. I tried "chatting" with DJI twice, only to have both techs telling me to ship my drone back to them. I only needed them to help me finish the firmware update, so my Phantom would be stuck with the maximum distance of 50 meters and elevation of 30M.
It is kind of tough to update my P4P+ when DJIGO cannot be installed on the monitor on my controller. I also have a Phantom 3Pro that I have no trouble with. I was finally able to install part of the update, but I can barely get my Phantom to fly 30 MPH and I start losing my signal less than two miles from my home point. If I could get all of my investment back, I would return my P4P+ in a heat beat.

I ..... . If I could get all of my investment back, I would return my P4P+ in a heat beat.

Me too. And the A3 and the N3 controllers that are a similar piece of cr*p.

With about $10K invested in DJI stuff compared to a similar investment in ArduPilot/PixHawk and Yuneec gear - there is no question where I will be putting my money in the future. After six+ years of screwing around with this company, I have really had enough.

This firmware upgrade is a disaster.

I'm looking to update my P4 but rather intimidated by all the threads about many problems people have had.

Maybe it would be good to get a better balance (or perhaps not), by posting a quick note here if your update has been sucessfull?

I had no problems at all when I updated mine. I used my computer (MAC OS) and the DJI Assistant 2 to do it. If you do it, make sure you update the P4 first, and then update the controller firmware after. Reboot, and hopefully, you shouldn't have any problems (fingers crossed).

Forgive the intrusion, Don't confuse with the 2 different sets of controls. GAIN: Only controls the effect that outside forces have on the a/c like wind, temp, berometric pressure and so on. You will notice this most while hovering 6 ft. above the ground. The stick filtering and EXP. are the setting that you will definately notice in your flight modes.
Of course. I changed EXP (exponentials) too, as you can read in the post. Gain also compensates extra weight. What about the braking distance be the same in despite of lowering the brake sensitivty?

I had no problems at all when I updated mine. I used my computer (MAC OS) and the DJI Assistant 2 to do it. If you do it, make sure you update the P4 first, and then update the controller firmware after. Reboot, and hopefully, you shouldn't have any problems (fingers crossed).
The instructions clearly say that the controller should be done first, then the aircraft.

Reactions: Stach
The instructions clearly say that the controller should be done first, then the aircraft.

Agreed, and that's the way that I successfully did it as well. Also, remove the SD card while upgrading and make sure that only one device is powered on/upgrading at a time (either the controller OR bird, but NEVER both).

I just followed the DJI Go 4 App and updated my bird and RC. Then I had to update each of my batteries with the new firmware. I have had zero problems with flying the bird or the RTH option. DB

I guess that I used old information, since I went to YouTube and used the DJI video as reference:
. They do mention the controller after they mentioned the P4 first, and no indication to update the controller first. But if it is the controller first, I apologize for the misinformation, and I thank you for providing us with the correct steps in upgrading the firmware.

Updates seem to all be "out to close everything down...all restrictions to limit us".
Now I have a constant clicking when replaying vodeo.Is constant after last update, or the one before that.

I guess that I used old information, since I went to YouTube and used the DJI video as reference:
. They do mention the controller after they mentioned the P4 first, and no indication to update the controller first. But if it is the controller first, I apologize for the misinformation, and I thank you for providing us with the correct steps in upgrading the firmware.
I've seen that too and assumed they specifically said to do controller first with this update since it is a departure from the norm.

Mine went fine. Horizon tilt fixed and new functions are all working.Flight was a bit more sensitive but that was handled with some sensitivity adjustments. Only issue I'm noticing is high wind warning all the time, even in calm wind.

Flawless. Every tweak reset to defaults is extremely annoying but it is all setup now. Litchi works fine, which I fly 10+ missions a day with.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl