Is there a problem with the image quality of the P4P

Reaction score
Tried out 2 systems but returned them because of poor image quality. No problems with center sharpness but very poor edge performance. Have contact with several other P4P owners who reported similar problems. My supplier agreed with my assessment.
Hesitant to try a third system.

Tried out 2 systems but returned them because of poor image quality. No problems with center sharpness but very poor edge performance. Have contact with several other P4P owners who reported similar problems. My supplier agreed with my assessment.
Hesitant to try a third system.
I'm loving the image quality I'm seeing on mine and many other users.

Reactions: bkushner
P4P+ newbie, shot about (15) keepers so far;
also own Sony RX10-III with 1" sensor, 24-600mm lens;
IQ better in center, too, increasing diffraction(?) toward edges.
AFAICT, 24mm results compare, but have only flown in 14-18mph
winds, so some camera shake possible in some P4P+ images
even @ 1/640th sec...?
Maximum image quality on any 1" sensor usually f2.8 to f5 range;
above that diffraction picks up all areas. (f2.8 on 1" = f6.7(?) FF)
Haven't figured out on P4P+ how to limit f-stop range to
f2.8-f5 whilst in Auto-ISO...?

Last edited:
Normally using aperture priority and set then ISO keeping an eye on the shutter speed.
Sweet spot of camera is 4.0 - 5.6. Owners who do report image quality problems do refer to stills, video quality seems to be better. I am new to the drone world but my first experience is simply dismal and can't understand that quality of the camera is so inconsistent.

Normally using aperture priority and set then ISO keeping an eye on the shutter speed.
Sweet spot of camera is 4.0 - 5.6. Owners who do report image quality problems do refer to stills, video quality seems to be better. I am new to the drone world but my first experience is simply dismal and can't understand that quality of the camera is so inconsistent.
What's the problem you have?
Can you post an example to show?

What's the problem you have?
Can you post an example to show?
My problem is quite simple, very poor image quality at the edges of the frame, my supplier agreed and provides me with a new one. This is then my third attempt and losing confidence in the P4P.
This is a link with some sample images: https://we.tl/4NAdNCMJLw
I am new to the drone world and do not have many good DNG samples to compare. The drone forums cover mostly technical aspects but not so much image quality. Essentially i am now looking for good DNG samples as a reference.

Last edited:
My problem is quite simple, very poor image quality at the edges of the frame, my supplier agreed and provides me with a new one. This is then my third attempt and losing confidence in the P4P.
This is a link with some sample images: https://we.tl/4NAdNCMJLw
I am new to the drone world and do not have many good DNG samples to compare. The drone forums cover mostly technical aspects but not so much image quality. Essentially i am now looking for good DNG samples as a reference.
For a start ...can you just show jpg files?
I don't want to download 215MB through slow internet just to see your pics
And shooting jpg should be fine for working out whether there is a problem and what it might be.

Reactions: whitelineNI
For a start ...can you just show jpg files?
I don't want to download 215MB through slow internet just to see your pics
And shooting jpg should be fine for working out whether there is a problem and what it might be.

Thanks for response but the problem has been analysed by the experts and it is a decentered lens or something wrong with the focal plane. Unfortunately i had 2 bad P4P's. My lens problem does not need further analysis but i am now looking for DNG/JPG samples which are representative for the image quality of the P4P.

Thanks for response but the problem has been analysed by the experts and it is a decentered lens or something wrong with the focal plane. Unfortunately i had 2 bad P4P's. My lens problem does not need further analysis but i am now looking for DNG/JPG samples which are representative for the image quality of the P4P.
Here are some unedited (the first one is cropped) jpg files I shot in my first week to try out the camera.
http://www.smugmug.com/downloads/1c059bea1d6a1334dd7f/7004744 (51.71 MB)

Your samples are considerably better then my files. Good centre sharpness, quite good at the left side of the frame but the right side shows some degradation of the image quality.
With this type of performance i would accept the system but not overly impressed of the uneven sharpness of the system. In fact, none of the samples i have seen sofar show an even sharpness across the frame. This is the case with most lenses but more prominent with the P4P.
Noticed a focal length of 3.61 mm, was this from the P4P or the P4. Understood that the focal length of the P4P is 8.8mm

Last edited:
Opened up these raw end quickly edited, there's no uneven focus, only warping due to wide angle lens, normal.
cd5ae7171346239921fd4738747ff639.jpg

cba793b128c31c6ab7c8cfcea5f3bb83.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You posted previously center of your images are AOK...?
Does that eliminate decentering as issue...?
Decentering results in poor edge quality as far as
100% crops of centre, left, right.
Nothing decentered about that lens, if it were off centre, the sides would have no definition.
e7bdaef3a0361053f2a667901ac2fc4d.jpg

2f76b67ebbdf29d67af29c90535e6038.jpg

81949898c03a093b2af48c239c796b94.jpg

Agree with you but this sample was added how it should be and not taken by my faulty P4P.
My files were pretty bad as agreed by my supplier.
Opened up these raw end quickly edited, there's no uneven focus, only warping due to wide angle lens, normal.

The first one is reprocessed one from my file, i must say terribly over processed with a faulty lens as agreed by the supplier. The second one was a sample of a good file not from my P4P to show how it should be. Everybody is entitled to have its own quality standards but never seen such a bad lens

Started this thread as i had image problems with 2 Phantom 4 Pro's. Picked yesterday the third one and did some tests today. Happy to report that this one is pretty good. Great image quality across the frame.
What can we learn about this:
First select a supplier with a good return policy
Realise that the Quality Control of DJI is not yet up to speed
Test image quality thoroughly and watch the edges of the frame carefully
Don't hesitate to return a mediocre system
I would like to thank forum members for comment and sample files.

Last edited:
Have looked closer at my P4P+ DNGs @100%,
& yes, they are consistently way too blurry on
left third & right fifth whilst acceptably sharp in
central area. Mine few weeks old, not interested
in getting 2nd misaligned lens from Adorama so
sent DJI email with samples of mine plus link to
images posted above that had OVERALL sharpness
& requested exchange, with replacement being a
CONFIRMED properly aligned lens. Am also going
to repeat request through DJI online chat + upload.
Anyone else been this route with DJI wrt lens...?
Thanks.

Sorry; I downloaded your pictures, looked at them, couldn't see any problem. Looked at my own shots with the P4P North West Escondido | Barking Deer℠ Photography
Looked okay, and a print I made of that image at 13"x18" looks great. Your pictures in the snow BTW are awesome.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl