Is the Phantom under GPS control during waypoint NAV?

Reaction score
I was just wondering, when you set your waypoints and go, everything is set to work from GPS right? No line of sight required?

My thought is to take it hiking and use it for some vertical cliff shots or aerial photo's that might have LOS obstructions. So can I set waypoints, let it go do it's thing then come back with the photos?

Also is anyone aware in the United States, have they out-lawed being able to use these in state/federal parks?

Thanks again for all your help!

Viro

National Parks have already banned drone use....if you launch or operate from park property. The loophole seems to be launching from outside the property. State Parks seem to be restricted to drones on a state-by-state or even park-by-park basis.

If you're using the full add-on groundstation setup then the aircraft doesn't need to maintain contact with the main controller or the data link on the ground to complete a mission once it's uploaded. The same may hold true for the waypoints app on the Vision/Vision+ but I'm not sure.

So yes, you can program the flight and let it do its thing whether you can still see the aircraft or not...but that can be a very easy way to get in trouble when you map or set a waypoint incorrectly (wrong height, etc) and you aren't able to see the aircraft get in to trouble in time to regain control and hopefully save it.

I guess that is why they set the 1650 foot radius because you could program it to fly miles away and return in theory ?

Lenoggle said:
I guess that is why they set the 1650 foot radius because you could program it to fly miles away and return in theory ?

That's exactly what I want to do but am scared to try it as of yet. My plan is to set a home point, then drive the copter some 45 miles around the 6 mile stretch that I want to film and get it up in the air. Then (here's the scary part) turn off the controller and tell my friend waiting on the other side to expect it to come soon.

Anyone know if there is a flaw in my plan? Will the copter safely land without a controller nearby?

If I understand you correctly, you will power on the Phantom, set the HP, drive 45 miles, launch the bird over a 6 mile stretch of water(?) where your friend is waiting at the HP, turn off the TX and let her rip hoping the bird does a RTH? You would need to keep the Phantom powered up during your 45 mile trip or the HP would be erased. So I doubt your battery would last the 45 miles not to mention the 6 mile flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka