Is the gimbal moving after a photo is taken?

Bugged by the fact that the shots I took the other day were solidly still vs today's, I started contemplating what other functions of the camera could cause the gimbal to vary slightly, and I think I may have found it.

Hypothesis: The auto focus.

I benched the bird inside for more camera testing and I noticed that every time I lightly pressed the shutter button for focus, the image would almost always move ever so slightly. Next I switched to manual focus and as I used the on screen focus slide, I observed the same movement. Lastly, I set the focus manually and and as I depressed the shutter for a series of pics, no movement.

Now I'm not knowledgeable enough of the mechanics of the camera to know if the focus is achieved by micro motors or purely electronic optics, but it was evident that focusing did cause the slight movement.

Does this sound rational?

T...
Yes, I had the same thoughts about focusing vs camera movement. Yes, also I noticed movement of the camera without taking photos or anything else (but I will test this again to confirm). Please explain the "... Next I switched to manual focus and as I used the on screen focus slide, I observed the same movement." - If you switched to manual focus using the screen focus slide, what is the difference from focusing manual? I would like to do the same test.

In the attached screen shot you can see the slide and manual focus button.

When I moved the slide for minimum focus to infinity, the movement of the camera is affected it the same manner as auto focus. However, when I set the focus using manual and left set to one focal distance, the camera did not move during shooting.

356ab800f7f8a38b76803d76170175be.jpg

I wonder if these extra electical inputs (maybe even the aperture) to the shutter and lens focus are causing some sort of noise that messes up the gyro and accelerometer inside the camera gimbal assembly. Hmmmmm

In the attached screen shot you can see the slide and manual focus button.

When I moved the slide for minimum focus to infinity, the movement of the camera is affected it the same manner as auto focus. However, when I set the focus using manual and left set to one focal distance, the camera did not move during shooting.

356ab800f7f8a38b76803d76170175be.jpg
If the slide at manual focus is at infinite then you noticed gimbal movements and if you set the slide at the middle (lets say) then the gimbal remains steady?

If the slide at manual focus is at infinite then you noticed gimbal movements and if you set the slide at the middle (lets say) then the gimbal remains steady?

No, I noticed that if I set the slide in a fixed position on either side of the scale, the camera would hold steady during shooting. However while moving the slide up/down, varying the focus as if it were in auto focus, the camera had the same movements we see when using auto focus. So again, it appears that the camera movement is caused by focus changes. When you take away the mechanical shutter, it's the only component left that could have movement associated with using the camera. I believe all other functions of the camera would be electron vs physical.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl