Is the Crystalsky worth it?

Do any one of you's regret buying the 1000 nit display and not waiting for the release of the 2000 nit,I'd hate to buy it and find a brighter display is still needed..
No. This works very well in bright sunlight at 10K feet of elevation. And so far the Android platform is perfect. Never a hitch, even over 15,000 feet from the aircraft.

I waiting for the 2000 nit display. My only concern is the lockdown. I plan to use it on my commercial projects and some of them require using a DroneDeploy App. DJI need to find a way to accommodate commercial pilots because a lot of us use additional apps when we are flying for a client.

I waiting for the 2000 nit display. My only concern is the lockdown. I plan to use it on my commercial projects and some of them require using a DroneDeploy App. DJI need to find a way to accommodate commercial pilots because a lot of us use additional apps when we are flying for a client.

They won't. I don't blame them.
They can't support it if they open it up. It becomes 'any tablet'. A locked system is much better for them and most of the users.

I don't expect third party support on the CS units at all.

Thank you , "Not really " when there's $600 on the line means " yeah I regret it " to me , I waited this long I can wait a little longer and for $250 more to get double the brightness seems like a deal ☹️☹️ I'm just tired of the sunshade and even with that it's hard to fly during the day if there's no shade around..

Hi-
Has DJI actually stated that the 2000 monitor will be twice as bright as the 1000 monitor? I only ask this because in photography in order to double the output of a flash, you need to quadruple the power not double it.

Reactions: John Locke
They won't. I don't blame them.
They can't support it if they open it up. It becomes 'any tablet'. A locked system is much better for them and most of the users.

I don't expect third party support on the CS units at all.
That's not exactly true. DJI could selectively allow "validated" apps to be loaded through the DJI portal, just like they do with the apps that come with the device. They have a method to allow selected third parties in on "the party" if they wanted to. They wouldn't have to "open it up" to all apps. The only problem becomes, how does the customer pay the third party for downloading the app through DJI? I think can be solved........... if DJI wanted to.

I'm hoping that at some point when DJI gets enough experience with Android, that enough pressure is placed on them to consider validating apps and allowing them to be downloaded to the Crystal Sky devices, much like how Apple does it. DJI owners refusal to buy Crystal Sky devices without compatible DJI app support may motivate them to get busy to solve this issue. Money speaks.

Hi-
Has DJI actually stated that the 2000 monitor will be twice as bright as the 1000 monitor? I only ask this because in photography in order to double the output of a flash, you need to quadruple the power not double it.
Hmm, not sure they said that but I do believe they said its double the brightness of the current tablets/phones,and that was said about the 1000 nit display

I appears Crystal sky may become irrelevant if Samsung keeps up with their screen brightness trend. The Note 8 has 1200nit brightness, brighter than the 5.5" Crystal sky device. Has anyone compared these two devices? You have your cake and eat it too with Note 8, daylight readable and able to run third party apps.

I appears Crystal sky may become irrelevant if Samsung keeps up with their screen brightness trend. The Note 8 has 1200nit brightness, brighter than the 5.5" Crystal sky device. Has anyone compared these two devices? You have your cake and eat it too with Note 8, daylight readable and able to run third party apps.
Wow I wish Apple would step it up a little but I'm still waiting on the 2000 nit CS if it ain't out by the holidays I may consider jumping ship to an Android tablet if the price is right. ,I'm sure Samsung will be releasing a tablet shortly with that brightness.

That's not exactly true. DJI could selectively allow "validated" apps to be loaded through the DJI portal, just like they do with the apps that come with the device. They have a method to allow selected third parties in on "the party" if they wanted to. They wouldn't have to "open it up" to all apps. The only problem becomes, how does the customer pay the third party for downloading the app through DJI? I think can be solved........... if DJI wanted to.

I'm hoping that at some point when DJI gets enough experience with Android, that enough pressure is placed on them to consider validating apps and allowing them to be downloaded to the Crystal Sky devices, much like how Apple does it. DJI owners refusal to buy Crystal Sky devices without compatible DJI app support may motivate them to get busy to solve this issue. Money speaks.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I haven't seen any evidence of DJI caving to pressure froms it's customers (or even listening to their requests), so I'm not holding my breath! How many people have requested that they fix the tilted horizon problem, or the high wind warning dialog, or the jumping compass needle on the Crystalsky.... get my drift?

I have a 7.85 High brightness CS ordered through B&H Photo. I'm not 100% positive when it will ship. I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos related to the Crystalsky.

My main question for those that have one ---- Is it worth it? I can get a new ipad pro for around the same price. Are there any major downfalls of the CS? I do use Litchi, but on the rare occassion that I was Litchi, I can just use my phone.

No you cannot use 3rd party apps. But that is not necessarily a bad thing: Android 5.1 is solidly ringfenced on the CrystalSky and updates are controlled by DJI to essentially protect against updates that could upset the transmission system or the very resource hungry GO app. The display is FAR superior to iPads or other Android devices, no contest - especially in bright daylight. I also like how it sits on a dedicated bracket via USB-C connection, and latency is far less on the CrystalSky than on tablets and phones

Reactions: bad karma
I have a 7.85 High brightness CS ordered through B&H Photo. I'm not 100% positive when it will ship. I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos related to the Crystalsky.

My main question for those that have one ---- Is it worth it? I can get a new ipad pro for around the same price. Are there any major downfalls of the CS? I do use Litchi, but on the rare occassion that I was Litchi, I can just use my phone.

I have the 2000nit, 7.85 monitor and would never go back to using the iPad Pro. It is absolutely worth the difference in my opinion. I have used it in all light conditions. The difference in all light conditions is amazing. It is possible to now load some 3rd party apps using their APK file. Go to Download APK free online downloader | APKPure.com and search for crystalsky. I did not see Litchi.

Reactions: Nowelly
I've got the 5.85" CS and it's been perfect. Never a hitch, which is more than I can say for the Ipad Mini 4... DJIGO4 was lagging something fierce (running only the app, everything else was closed.) That and the brightness issue relegated my Mini 4 to home duty.

Reactions: Nowelly
The reason why people get crashes and disconnects with 3rd party tablets and phones is due to competing resources on those devices and constant Android updates which upset both the Lightbridge 2 transmission system and Go 4 app. GO 4 is VERY resource hungry and very fickle in operation, especially as it is tapping into so many OS operations at the same time
The CrystalSky is also superior to other tablets in that it is "tuned" to the DJI set up, and latency is near non-existent. You get horrid video transmission latency on 3rd party devices, which disappears on the CrystalSky

After using the standard bright, now for over 2 months, I would just say, be careful. My Crystalsky has video disconnects on flights longer than 1000' with both the Mavic and P4P, worse on the P4P. I have gone back to my iPad for longer flights.

No doubt the actual Crystalsky is a great idea, and the monitor display is excellent however, having the video disconnect or freeze up, is not what I am looking for. Sure you can reboot the Crystalsky and wait for it to recover.

Paul Caldwell

The reason why people get crashes and disconnects with 3rd party tablets and phones is due to competing resources on those devices and constant Android updates which upset both the Lightbridge 2 transmission system and Go 4 app. GO 4 is VERY resource hungry and very fickle in operation, especially as it is tapping into so many OS operations at the same time
The CrystalSky is also superior to other tablets in that it is "tuned" to the DJI set up, and latency is near non-existent. You get horrid video transmission latency on 3rd party devices, which disappears on the CrystalSky

You sound like your reading off a brochure. It may work for you but discounting everything else is BS. My iPad Pro has zero lag and zero problems.

In my experience the Crystalsky is just as flakey or more. I agree the overall app is resource hungry which is why I moved to the Crystalsky.

But I still see video issues with the Crystalsky same as the previous post mentioned occur with a iPhone or tablet.

I am going to try a full reset on mine.

Paul Caldwell

I've got the 5.85" CS and it's been perfect. Never a hitch, which is more than I can say for the Ipad Mini 4... DJIGO4 was lagging something fierce (running only the app, everything else was closed.) That and the brightness issue relegated my Mini 4 to home duty.
Intersting. I have both the 5.85 attached to a Mavic Pro and the bigger sister attached to a P3P controller. The smaller unit is quite nice, snappy, stable. I'm having significant issues with the bigger one. Sent the first one back, the current one has a decidedly slow digitizer response.

I also use a iPad mini 4 (64G version) and it's worked (more or less) flawlessly.

YMMV. I think the smaller units have been debugged a bit better at present. Hopefully, they'll improve the larger units.

Reactions: bad karma
Yeah, that’s been my experience too. I bought one of the big ones, it wouldn’t even boot completely. Sent it back and the replacement would boot but was laggy and glitchy... took a full half hour to boot the first attempt. After that it got better but flight was very difficult so I sent it back and went back to my iPad Pro 10.5 it’s huge but works flawlessly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z