Is having the GoPro Hero 4 WiFi On a bad idea for Phantom 2?

Reaction score
I just bought the new GoPro Smart Remote with a 600' range, but after receiving it, I found out that WiFi must be turned on at the GoPro Hero4. Is this still asking for trouble to have the GoPro in WiFi mode, being that it might interfere with flight control or is that a thing of the past?

Re: Is having the GoPro Hero 4 WiFi On a bad idea for Phanto

Yes it can be a problem wifi runs 2.4 your bird flys on 2.4 if you want wifi while flying you need FC40,P2V or P2V+ witch all fly on 5.8

Thanks, 750r. Guess I'll just live with pushing the record Start/Stop button on the GoPro as I"ve always done. Seems pretty archaic. Now that I'm shooting 4K, I'd like to save any unnecessary footage, like during long descents, so it would be so nice to be able to stop shooting while upstairs.

I've used the wifi remote on my hero 3 and never had any problems. Keep in mind though the range of it is maybe 75' at the most.

Re: Is having the GoPro Hero 4 WiFi On a bad idea for P2?

Interesting, because the range is determined by the remote and not at the camera. WiFi should be the same at the camera, regardless of the remote that's being used. It's just that I'd hate to find out the hard way! On the other hand. I'd also hate to return the remote to Amazon if it turns out that it's harmless. I've heard stories of bad things happening with WiFi, but not lately. Hence this post.

If you turn on bluetooth to your hero4 does the wifi also turn on auto? Ive been flying my phantom 2 (i have never upgraded it just straight out of the box) can I always control the hero4 via bluetooth and hadnt had any problems, have i just been getting lucky? probably have done about 10 flights like this! is this bad? will it be worst when i update? also my phones wifi which the hero4 is connected to has wifi on but ive also used it with wifi off and saw no diffrence, also I have the AVL58 video kit so would that be why im not having problems?

James, tyrtell it's just not a good idea. like 750r said they both run on the same frequency range so interference is a strong possibility. Yes, it can be done and it's not guaranteed your Phantom will crash (I myself have accidentally taken off before with the gopro's wifi on..realized it and returned), especially at short range but the farther you get away from the Remote Control, the weaker that signal gets and there will come a point where the (wifi) broadcast from the GoPro right there next to the Phantom is stronger than the signal the Phantom is receiving from the RC... and that's when the problem happens. Maybe it'll come home... maybe it'll autoland... maybe you'll be able to get control back, maybe not. maybe it'll fly away never to be seen again.
the point is, it's just not worth the risk. why risk your $1000+ phantom flying off into neverneverland for shitty, laggy super short range "fpv" using the gopro's wifi when for a few hundred more dollars you can add a powerful 5.8Ghz FPV system that won't interfere, isn't laggy, and reaches as far or farther than the Phantom's range? That's what the (non-Vision) series Phantoms were designed for... NOT to use the gopro's wifi as clearly stated in all the documentation.

QYV said:
James, tyrtell it's just not a good idea. like 750r said they both run on the same frequency range so interference is a strong possibility. Yes, it can be done and it's not guaranteed your Phantom will crash (I myself have accidentally taken off before with the gopro's wifi on..realized it and returned), especially at short range but the farther you get away from the Remote Control, the weaker that signal gets and there will come a point where the (wifi) broadcast from the GoPro right there next to the Phantom is stronger than the signal the Phantom is receiving from the RC... and that's when the problem happens. Maybe it'll come home... maybe it'll autoland... maybe you'll be able to get control back, maybe not. maybe it'll fly away never to be seen again.
the point is, it's just not worth the risk. why risk your $1000+ phantom flying off into neverneverland for shitty, laggy super short range "fpv" using the gopro's wifi when for a few hundred more dollars you can add a powerful 5.8Ghz FPV system that won't interfere, isn't laggy, and reaches as far or farther than the Phantom's range? That's what the (non-Vision) series Phantoms were designed for... NOT to use the gopro's wifi as clearly stated in all the documentation.
+1 Not a good idea...this has been covered by many people on this forum that advise against it. However, feel free to try and prove us wrong. Looking forward to hearing you proving us wrong...for your sake, I hope you next post is not about a fly-away. :(

lolz well i do have the 5.8Ghz AVL58 video kit, which I thought might be the reason I havnt had any problems, would that make any difference in terms of the use with wifi? since its 5.8 and not 2.4? just wondering?
But I do or should say did like the idea that i could change camera settings while in flight and have done it a few times but I am a noob at this and i am going to listen to all the experienced people on here and stop running the camera app. Im going to count my blessing thats ive been lucky the few times ive done it and nothing bad happened but it sounds like its leading up to a disaster so Im just going to avoid setting myself up for trouble and not use the wifi/bluetooth, I've only encountered to times that Ive changed camera setting in flight anyway and the pros just dont beat the cons, very glad I am across all this before anything bad happened! Thank you all so much for possibly saving my phantom!

tyrell said:
lolz well i do have the 5.8Ghz AVL58 video kit, which I thought might be the reason I havnt had any problems, would that make any difference in terms of the use with wifi? since its 5.8 and not 2.4? just wondering?

the P2 remote control runs on 2.4Ghz (same as wifi), and your FPV runs on 5.8. what you're describing is why your FPV system doesn't interfere with your remote control... like that's the whole point of why we run 5.8Ghz FPV :) It's also why your FPV system doesn't interfere with the gopro's wifi.

so what we've been talking about up to this point really hasn't had anything to do with FPV, which is on 5.8Ghz.
What we've been discussing is the GoPro's wifi/app (2.4Ghz) interfering with the P2 remote control (2.4Ghz)

its not a bad idea, its a terrible idea.

dont do it.

copy that! thanks everyone I will not be doing that again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl