iPad Pro 10.5 and P4P remote - 1cm too big...

Reaction score
Just purchased the 10.5" iPad Pro as an upgrade from the original iPad Air that I had been using with my P4P. I had realized the Air was slightly underpowered and causing the dreaded green screen/blackouts. Those didn't happen with the iPhone 6.

The new screen is much brighter than the Air and, in a quick test, performed very, very well in direct sunlight. I didn't use the DJI app - just looked at screen under direct sunlight.

Now the issue, the iPad is a hair too wide to fit in the controller as-is. I can just about force it but am nervous it'll warp/break the extender arm of the controller. I found some old threads about hacks to get the 12.9 Pro to fit but those look like overkill. Polar Pro makes a $20 attachment but it seems the iPad ends up pushed forward a fair amount.

According to Apple's specs, the device grew to 6.8" wide from 6.6"...

I'm considering cutting the foam and coming up with a different/thinner replacement but would love some other ideas.

Thanks!

E

Thanks for this review. I was trying to decide myself if I should upgrade to the 10.5" or not. Knowing it handles sunlight better is a big plus!

All yo need is five minutes, a piece of stiff wire (coat hanger is perfect) and some heatshrink tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 886
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 876
I put mine in with no problems. Top in first then pop in the bottom. Remove it bottom first.

You'll notice in the holder foam that there is gutter, just place the ipad in the gutter then slowly push in the top so it also sits in the foam gutter.
Just flick out the foam around it so it not trapped under the ipad then you won't have damaged the padding

So the verdict is ipad pro 10.5 fits P4P remote with no modification? I'm currently looking at display for a P4P. Thanks.

It WILL fit without an extension but im really not comfortable jamming it in there without my extension. I fell like in time I will either destroy the foam or worst case bend the ipad.

It WILL fit without an extension but im really not comfortable jamming it in there without my extension. I fell like in time I will either destroy the foam or worst case bend the ipad.
The problem really is that at full extension the bracket is weakest. I like my cheap solution as it allows a little extra constant tension to be maintained when ratcheted down (the spring in the wire loading).

Just purchased the 10.5" iPad Pro as an upgrade from the original iPad Air that I had been using with my P4P. I had realized the Air was slightly underpowered and causing the dreaded green screen/blackouts. Those didn't happen with the iPhone 6
The only time I've had a green screen with my iPad Air2 is when I'm flying my P4P near another DJI pilot and we were both on 2.4Ghz. Even on Auto channel there will be interference if you're closer than 50' from each other. If one pilot is using the 5.8Ghz band and another on 2.4Ghz, no problem. I suppose you can have a green screen if you left a protective case on the Air2 which would over heat the tablet. That overheating steps down the performance of the CPU and a garbled green screen can occur, however I've never see that since I never use a cover on my Air2. I've flown in ambient temps of 102F and no problem, but in that kind of temperature I'm in the shade, where it's actually 102F and the sun can't hit the tablet to get it hotter.

My iPad Mini2 will overheat and green screen in temps over 90F, in which case I usually fly from my car with the air conditioning running.

ipad.jpg
holder from side.jpg

No foam being crushed anywhere, also the bracket is not under any stress at all, it just fits perfectly with the Ipad Pro 10.5

Using the extender actually put the Ipad at a slightly raised angle , so it's a bit more clumsy and clunky, because it is raised off the bracket there is less support for the back of the ipad. It just feels more snug and sure without the extender

Last edited:
View attachment 89527 View attachment 89530

No foam being crushed anywhere, also the bracket is not under any stress at all, it just fits perfectly with the Ipad Pro 10.5

Using the extender actually put the Ipad at a slightly raised angle , so it's a bit more clumsy and clunky, because it is raised off the bracket there is less support for the back of the ipad. It just feels more snug and sure without the extender

Thanks, I made up my mind, getting the 10.5 instead of 9.7. My old ipad is really old. It will not even load the go app. Since I am upgrading, mine as well get the latest. This should be good for whatever DJI go app version they come out with for there drones.

10.5" iPad Pro, Cellular or No Cellular service, what do you prefer and why? is the cell-enabled iPad really worth the extra expense, the additional cost of the device and the added expense of a monthly cellular charge?

Last edited:
Sounds like the 2017 iPad 9.7 is the better tablet, I was looking at a dedicated tablet and dont want the hassle of something that does not fit well.

Reactions: Crowe99
10.5" iPad Pro, Cellular or No Cellular service, what do you prefer and why? is the cell-enabled iPad really worth the extra expense, the additional cost of the device and the added expense of a monthly cellular charge?

I prefer to have the cell service for the conveniences of real time map download, and using the iPad for other purposes where the cell connection is needed, Litchi, etc. Wi-Fi only iPads are a hassle IMO, just another thing to do, connecting the phone hotspot, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crowe99

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl