IPAD 4 WIFI ONLY

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about to purchase the PHANTOM 2 vision+. However, I just found out the the WIFI ONLY version of my Ipad DOES NOT have GPS capability. I was always under the impression that they all had them. Does this mean I cannot use the DJI VISION or GROUND STATION apps? Is anyone out there using the wifi only ipad and working. Please help before I spend this money.

Thank you very much!

Joe

Why do you need that ? I have a mini ipad wifi only and it works great. I like the size if the minis screen better than the full size ipad.

So you use the mini ipad with just wifi and without any special caching and it works fine?

iPad 4th Gen works ok. It has GPS, compass and accelerometer. Yours (like mine) just doesn't have mobile data so you'd need to run ground station in the house on your WiFi network and cache the map data there first before heading out on your groundstation mission or you'll see no terrain detail on the map.

iPad version IMO is not too good anyway because it's just designed for widescreen mobile dimensions and you need to zoom it 2x to not quite stretch to the boundaries of the iPad screen. They may release an iPad specific version but who knows.

I guess I would just need to figure out hiw to cache the map data from ground station then. Btw the ipad4 wifi only DOES NOT have GPS. I called apple directly because I tried to cache gps apps the drive around and it would not work. The wifi does not lock onto gps sats like the 4g version does. I thought it had gps all along but it doesn't.

My mistake.

I believe you need GPS on your iPad for the radar feature to work completely. This is the round icon on the bottom left of your camera screen. Without GPS, it won't show you where your iPad is in relationship to home position.

Mori55 said:
Go into maps find where your flying and type in "ok maps " and it's cached.

Is the chaching done by the Maps app or the DJI app? It's easier to find your desired location, say with an address, in Maps than in the DJI app.

Mori55 said:
Go into maps find where your flying and type in "ok maps " and it's cached.

Only if you use google maps.
If OP use Apple Maps no need to click or type anything, just zoom in the area you will be flying in and then close maps app.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT