Introducing year 7s (11-12 Year Olds) to drones! Any ideas

Reaction score
Hi there, I have been asked by a science teacher to give her class a drone demo. I have excitedly agreed and have a rough idea about what we will do but wanted to invite any ideas from you guys. I'm doing practical and theory.

What's your thoughts?

Cheers
ElSo

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Although most won't want to hear about it, stress the safety aspect such as never fly near aircraft, cars in the street, peoples windows. Young 'un's only want to see crashes, and explosions like in their video games.

Couple of things they might like is explanations of the satellite fix science and the mixing of motor speeds and angles of design to keep the drone stable during flight as well as the science of the video transmission at great distances. Also the differences of the frequencies used versus older radio control aircraft. It's not just a toy, but a awesome technology developing into a way things can be done using this great thing we call droning.

Couple of things they might like is explanations of the satellite fix science and the mixing of motor speeds and angles of design to keep the drone stable during flight as well as the science of the video transmission at great distances. Also the differences of the frequencies used versus older radio control aircraft. It's not just a toy, but a awesome technology developing into a way things can be done using this great thing we call droning.
I think those are too technical for that age group. Just my opinion.

Have you seen what kids know of technology nowdays? They pick it up easily. Unless they are vaccinated, ritalin reduced droolers that is...

Don't underestimate these kids basic knowledge or ability to comprehend each. All, if not most will know what GPS is, watch Netflix or some form of IP TV- probably over wifi (analogous to lightbridge) and would have played with some form of RC. A few probably own or have access to drones, my youngest flies really well. Getting them to appreciwlate how the RC hovers and flies shouldn't be hard. I would talk about what you do with the drone and other applications.

My 13 year old son flies my phantom P3 4K with no problems at all. I do have to keep an eye on him so as he doesn't go too high, far, close to people & buildings etc and I do have to reign him in now and again! Saying that, he handles the drone very well & has a good understanding of yaw & orientation and so on.
P.S. he only ever flies the drone with me and never by himself!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Well my four year old loves playing on the flight simulator, would suggest that would be a good start. He must have 20 hours of simulator experience, this summer he had a go on beginner mode and was actually very good at flying. Then he found minecraft and dronning was forgotten. That's life as a four year old I guess.

Sent from my F3311 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Gwilym Jones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan