Interested in adding an iOSD Mini to my Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hello fellow Phantom pilots,

I am interested in adding an iOSD Mini to my Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal with GoPro Video Camera. I am curious as to what other accessories I should purchase with the iOSD Mini. The only reason I want to purchase iOSD Mini is to get real time flight video. I have listed what I intend to purchase below, just curious if anyone has any tips for me before I proceed.

Much appreciated!

iOSD Mini:
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-iOSD-Mini-Rea ... =iosd+mini

Diversity Monitor with Integrated Battery:
http://www.amazon.com/FlySight-Diversit ... BXSSDKHV1X

sorry if its obvious, but have you got a fpv transmitter for the Phantom as well?

If you have to add it separately, and it doesn’t come with the DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal bundle then I do not have an FPV transmitter. I don’t even know what an FPV transmitter does in correlation to the iOSD Mini.

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated!

VinnyThePilot said:
If you have to add it separately, and it doesn’t come with the DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal bundle then I do not have an FPV transmitter. I don’t even know what an FPV transmitter does in correlation to the iOSD Mini.

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated!

The FPV transmitter transmits video to the receiver/ monitor on the ground. the iOSD mini sends fight information (battery life, height, distance, air speed) via the FPV transmitter. You can fly FPV without the iOSD (not recommended) but you must have an FPV transmitter to fly FPV.

This is the thread I used to set my stuff up a while back.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14941

That’s awesome! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone! Anyone have any feedback regarding using a Circular Polarized Antenna?

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-Circular-P ... af+antenna

Also in addition can I still record from the GoPro while it transmits video? My whole goal of adding these features is to get better shots.

Yeh, the gopro shares the picture so still records as normal while transmitting it to the monitor

My two cents worth:

You can only get flight data on your video screen. But, with the video transmitter, it takes the video from your GoPro and transmits at 5.8Ghz. Since you will be buying a video monitor anyway, I suggest a 7", 7 channel Black Pearl monitor.

It has a 5.8Ghz receiver built into it. With a few cables and high gain antennas. (You don't have to replace the antennas now, if your budget doesn't allow, but they increase the range that you will receive video.)

What you end up with is a monitor with flight data and you can see video from your camera. It can be used to move the gimbal, so you can frame your video and/or photos. Even neater is the feeling like you are sitting inside your Phantom, flying it!

Suggestion: Go to the FPV section (First Person View) and look at the "stickies". There you will find links to the equipment that you need and at the best price. I bought two transmitters just last night. At least buy the monitor in case you want to add FPV later.

Disclaimer: I don't actually have all my FPV parts yet. So, if any of my information is incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me. (and, possibly scold me. :). )

PhantomFanatic said:
My two cents worth:

You can only get flight data on your video screen. But, with the video transmitter, it takes the video from your GoPro and transmits at 5.8Ghz. Since you will be buying a video monitor anyway, I suggest a 7", 7 channel Black Pearl monitor.

It has a 5.8Ghz receiver built into it. With a few cables and high gain antennas. (You don't have to replace the antennas now, if your budget doesn't allow, but they increase the range that you will receive video.)

What you end up with is a monitor with flight data and you can see video from your camera. It can be used to move the gimbal, so you can frame your video and/or photos. Even neater is the feeling like you are sitting inside your Phantom, flying it!

Suggestion: Go to the FPV section (First Person View) and look at the "stickies". There you will find links to the equipment that you need and at the best price. I bought two transmitters just last night. At least buy the monitor in case you want to add FPV later.

Disclaimer: I don't actually have all my FPV parts yet. So, if any of my information is incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me. (and, possibly scold me. :). )

I appreciate your two cents and you certainly cleared some things up for me. Thanks for the help!

Bill_Burkert said:
Be aware that everything is metric and no way to change to English units. Another DJI success story.

I know the UK is a bit strange, but it seems a shame that there is software which either does imperial or metric and not a blend of both. I dont want "mph and Farenheit". And I dont want "kph and Celicius". I would like mph and Celcius.

There is some otherwise promising software out there which just cannot do this, such as Hover and www.wunderground.com

Rocket science it is not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan