Installed in new shell, behaving unpredictably.

Reaction score
Put my phantom into a new shell last night, the first flight after that was a disaster. I felt like I was fighting it the whole time until I lost the fight. It's almost like it waited a min, then picked a direction and accelerated in that direction until it hit a tree, second flight, ground, third flight, house. I hooked it up to naza m assist and re calibrated it with same result. No compass errors, all leds flashing green! Doesn't matter if I'm in ATT or GPS mode. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Also, one of the motors seems to have locked up, is this a result of the crashes or the cause of the crashes? Could a failing motor cause the phantom to fail so spectacularly?

did you install everything in the new housing in the same exact orientation as when you removed it. Namely the GPS and compass have to be put in a specific direction, having these rotated will give you the erratic behavior your experiencing.

BruceTS said:
did you install everything in the new housing in the same exact orientation as when you removed it. Namely the GPS and compass have to be put in a specific direction, having these rotated will give you the erratic behavior your experiencing.

I'm fairly sure I have installed everything in the correct orientation. Upon inspection of the GPS board when I removed it I noticed the mounting holes wouldn't allow it to be installed in a different orientation and I remember thinking, "boy I'm glad they made this idiot proof!" Although it is entirely possible that I could have found a way to screw it up. Ill take another look at that.

norwoodphotography said:
Put my phantom into a new shell last night, the first flight after that was a disaster. I felt like I was fighting it the whole time until I lost the fight. It's almost like it waited a min, then picked a direction and accelerated in that direction until it hit a tree, second flight, ground, third flight, house. I hooked it up to naza m assist and re calibrated it with same result. No compass errors, all leds flashing green! Doesn't matter if I'm in ATT or GPS mode. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Also, one of the motors seems to have locked up, is this a result of the crashes or the cause of the crashes? Could a failing motor cause the phantom to fail so spectacularly?
You put the compass on the wrong leg. I did the exact same thing and experienced the same problem.

http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=662

TickTock said:
norwoodphotography said:
You put the compass on the wrong leg. I did the exact same thing and experienced the same problem.

I used the same legs on the new shell as were on the old, and I never moved or removed the compass module on the legs. Also, I'm having trouble in ATTI mode AND GPS mode. It won't fly right in either!

norwoodphotography said:
TickTock said:
norwoodphotography said:

I used the same legs on the new shell as were on the old, and I never moved or removed the compass module on the legs. Also, I'm having trouble in ATTI mode AND GPS mode. It won't fly right in either!
Are you sure you put the legs in the same place and didn't swap the left and right?

I just re-read the OP and noticed the comment about it having the problem in Attitude mode. Maybe your problem is different. When I had the compass on the wrong leg (rotated 180 degrees wrt the GPS), I had the symptoms you indicated - but only in GPS mode. I was constantly fighting it. If I took my hand off the stick, it would hover for a second or two, then pick a random direction and slowly accelerate in that direction until it was going full-tilt.

I had an issue a month or so ago,. one of my motors seemed to be having serious troubles and was overheating
- causing some serious wobbly flight.
Perhaps try to feel each of your motors after (safely) flying.
it is indeed possible that you might have bent or damaged a motor somehow

However, if this is coming off a shell swap,it could be something else.
was the NAZA reinstalled correctly and securely (if it's loose in any way it could cause issues)

Gizmo3000 said:
I had an issue a month or so ago,. one of my motors seemed to be having serious troubles and was overheating
- causing some serious wobbly flight.
Perhaps try to feel each of your motors after (safely) flying.
it is indeed possible that you might have bent or damaged a motor somehow

However, if this is coming off a shell swap,it could be something else.
was the NAZA reinstalled correctly and securely (if it's loose in any way it could cause issues)

NAZA... The box in the middle??

Yes, It must be facing the correct direction, but there would have been no reason to remove it from the main board,
when swapping the shell.

The GPS "must" be installed correctly as well, with the wires pointing towards the front of the Phantom.

Audaciter said:

Yes, It must be facing the correct direction, but there would have been no reason to remove it from the main board,
when swapping the shell.

The GPS "must" be installed correctly as well, with the wires pointing towards the front of the Phantom.

Yeah, I didn't take it off the main board. The GPS however I thought could only be installed in one way due to the screw configuration. But I could be wrong. Ill have to double check!

Audaciter said:

actually, the GPS screw placement is offset, so it can only be installed one way onto the top of the shell,
- on top of that, the GPS in the Phantom is omni directional, and will work pointed in any position. (because the compass is on the legs)
I actually learned that for myself one time when I did my first shell swap and accidentally put the shell on 180 degrees the wrong way! (and it still flew ok)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl