Inspire 2 or Phantom 4 Pro?!

I am telling you, it is hard to keep up with the launch of new products. I already told the wife the P4 Pro is the last drone I am going to buy... Lol.
Good choice of words! Now you can finance the rest after! :p

I wouldn't rule out P4P material for professional broadcasting because of the codec. There are plenty of cameras that record 100mbit 4K that can be used for broadcasting, or other professional uses. It also uses H265 with much better dynamic range, color depth and quality / bitrate compared to H264.

However, in order for the P4P to provide acceptable material, you cannot have any props visible in the footage, and for the far smaller sensor to be useable you have to use it in broad daylight. As it gets darker, that small sensor will very soon lose any opportunity to be used as a professional camera.
You could hide the fact that it's H.264 or 5 and hope the person you are delivering it to won't notice but at that point you'll be doing several levels of generation loss making it by default not a professional codec.

They could easily make it a more professional codec as it actually cost more money to have an on board encoder but they dont want to canobolize their more professsional systems such as the Inspire and M600, etc.

Completely forgetting how it looks to you, you can never professionally deliver for film and/or video an H.264/5 master. Different for real estate and the like obviously.

I had just ordered a second P4 for our survey work but they hadn't shipped yet so they gave me full refund. :)
The P4 prices dropped and I just couldn't see them pulling the P4 Pro out of the hat like that!!!

I'm sticking with my Inspire Pro for other work but side by side, the P4Pro blows them all away for me....

I have had my footage on the BBC recently on one of their most popular and well edited programmes. I fly a P3A which is now miles behind in terms of the camera tech.

My point is that it isn't always about the equipment we use, it's about the content. So if anyone (like me) has aspirations as a aerial photographer or videographer the P4P looks to be the real deal at a very affordable price.
I should just be quiet as this always turns into an unwanted pissing contest. As I said, you can shoot stuff that looks good enough for sure but the actual codec is just not a professional deliverable so aside from a layer for tracking, an insert, or possibly some B roll coverage, delivering a final that is not of master quality is by definition not a professional codec.

You can hide it by converting to a higher codec but as a master shot, you have to shoot in an uncompressed or at a minimum, lossless (not lossy..difference) codec. Prores and Avid DNxHD 175 (two professional deliverables if set right and can be duplicated forever. It's a master). It's compressed but when decompressed it in theory turns back to virtually uncompressed.

Acid uncompressed 10 bit video - Straight Raw video can be turned to any codec and is a master file more than or equal to any other. Completely lossless.

DJI AVIC AVC on board h.264 60mbsps bit rate and is h.264 and h.265 now at 100mbps bit rate. Inspire 2 does both h.264 and h.265 and also shoots video with the SSD drive and the X5s at 5.2k and AvidDNG Cinema (a series of stills just like our single shots that are raw on the P4) and ProRes option.

If ALL of these videos looked EXATCLY the same, they would all not be equal because some are professional deliverables and some are not. You can, and people do, use a Phantom or a GoPro Black for a shot that is used professionally but you don't plan a pro shoot with a camera that is not capable of delivering a pro final deliverable.

On the X5S, you're gonna have to pay for the licensing to use ProRes. They could very well make the Phantom a pro system if they wanted but they have the Inspire and its heftier price tag for that.

I don't at all disagee that while it's easier to pull off certain shots by flying an Inspire or another bird, you can get pro results with the Phantoms, just not pro codec, hence it's an enthusiast/prosumer UAS.

Last edited:
With the latest drones shooting in 4k i wonder how many folks who buy them dont realise that they need a decent computer to do the editing .Most home computers just cant cope as i found out so had to invest in a new super fast pc with a expensive graphics card .
The new P4P looks like a winner but for me i might just wait untill Dji bring out a hex with retracts .

I should just be quiet as this always turns into an unwanted pissing contest. As I said, you can shoot stuff that looks good enough for sure but the actual codec is just not a professional deliverable so aside from a layer for tracking, an insert, or possibly some B roll coverage, delivering a final that is not of master quality is by definition not a professional codec.

You can hide it by converting to a higher codec but as a master shot, you have to shoot in an uncompressed or at a minimum, lossless (not lossy..difference) codec. Prores and Avid DNxHD 175 (two professional deliverables if set right and can be duplicated forever. It's a master). It's compressed but when decompressed it in theory turns back to virtually uncompressed.

Acid uncompressed 10 bit video - Straight Raw video can be turned to any codec and is a master file more than or equal to any other. Completely lossless.

DJI AVIC AVC on board h.264 60mbsps bit rate and is h.264 and h.265 now at 100mbps bit rate. Inspire 2 does both h.264 and h.265 and also shoots video with the SSD drive and the X5s at 5.2k and AvidDNG Cinema (a series of stills just like our single shots that are raw on the P4) and ProRes option.

If ALL of these videos looked EXATCLY the same, they would all not be equal because some are professional deliverables and some are not. You can, and people do, use a Phantom or a GoPro Black for a shot that is used professionally but you don't plan a pro shoot with a camera that is not capable of delivering a pro final deliverable.

On the X5S, you're gonna have to pay for the licensing to use ProRes. They could very well make the Phantom a pro system if they wanted but they have the Inspire and its heftier price tag for that.

I don't at all disagee that while it's easier to pull off certain shots by flying an Inspire or another bird, you can get pro results with the Phantoms, just not pro codec, hence it's an enthusiast/prosumer UAS.
If the stuff looks good then it looks good. If you're delivering this to a client then 99% are just going to be blown away by something that looks good and the other 1% are probably Hollywood film editors. The phantom pro is more than most people will ever use bearing in mind how little people have a 4K screen

I have had my footage on the BBC recently on one of their most popular and well edited programmes. I fly a P3A which is now miles behind in terms of the camera tech.

My point is that it isn't always about the equipment we use, it's about the content. So if anyone (like me) has aspirations as a aerial photographer or videographer the P4P looks to be the real deal at a very affordable price.
I totally agree, I have had footage from my P2/Gopro on Sky News when we had bad floods back in January. Content is King !!

Reactions: King Luff

No need to tell me about Prores or DNxHD, I know about codecs needed for professional filming. My point is, there is a huge market that is NOT professional movies or series, which could no doubt use content from a P4P - documentary, commercials, especially for the web, individuals, inspecting etc. The list goes on.

Reactions: King Luff
Ok, at least one of each please! I think I my wife may have to take my credit cards away from me. Both of these new platforms look so awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

oh man I sympathise fully, I will be in so much doo doos when I get caught if I order both of these which I am finding impossible to not hit the order button lol

Reactions: Nickster
oh man I sympathise fully, I will be in so much doo doos when I get caught if I order both of these which I am finding impossible to not hit the order button lol

I did get the green light, sort of. I was told I can't put it on the credit card and I need to have all the money for it. Gotta save...so tough...want now!

I am going to get the P4P. Can't wait until I have the $$.

Since this thread is about I2 vs P4P, I am wondering if anyone knows if the P4P will shows it's legs on hard banks and angled gimbal. This is the biggest reason I got the I1 (after P3P). I just can't afford to crop all my video clips to a lower resolution. Since the P4P has same legs as P4, maybe someone can comment based on experiences with the P4?

Reactions: NoTech64
I have the P4P and the I2. Yes in extreme maneuvers you will see the legs and the props. Most videographers do not do those. If you are following a vehicle at 60mph then the Inspire 2 is what you need.

Since this thread is about I2 vs P4P, I am wondering if anyone knows if the P4P will shows it's legs on hard banks and angled gimbal. This is the biggest reason I got the I1 (after P3P). I just can't afford to crop all my video clips to a lower resolution. Since the P4P has same legs as P4, maybe someone can comment based on experiences with the P4?
On the P4, it depends upon the wind. While turning sharply or stopping suddenly in strong wind, it can happen, but very rarely, and just briefly.

I have the P4P and the I2. Yes in extreme maneuvers you will see the legs and the props. Most videographers do not do those. If you are following a vehicle at 60mph then the Inspire 2 is what you need.
Lucky you! :cool: Good to see you contributing again here, Ed! You have been missed!

That's exactly when I saw it most with my P3P... following a vehicle and banking around it for another angle or simply banking against wind while gimbal at less than 0deg.

Btw- glad to see you active again on the *pilots forum. Always liked your insider POV, but hate going to the DJI forum or RC groups due to their thread layout.

Sure will, but only newbies will experience this as those who know what they are doing fly/film knowing the limitations and how to compensate. You see props/legs now and then on YouTube vids of non-photographers with all models of Phantoms, and the pro will be no different.... except for one very important thing....

In the past if you flew towards the sun with a Phantom or Inspire or Typhoon H, and the camera was pointing straight or sllightly down, you'd increase the chances of getting the image of prop shadow in the picture (you could avoid this with an ND 16 filter). Apparently with the P4Ps mechanical shutter this will be reduced.

I'm looking forward to see if this is in fact the case.

I'm still predicting the Phantom 5 will have the camera moved forward and the leg/prop issue will be no more. These are the last two long standing major photographic issues DJI has not yet addressed with the Phantom series.

Sent from my SM-P550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well I pulled trigger and pre-ordered the I2.This was a very tough decision for me as the P4 pro is very tempting and more of a bang for the buck bird. The camera alone is worth the upgrade in my mind. I have a P3P and P4 which are my current go to birds for AP/V.

However, I am looking for a solution where I can change out the lenses. Specifically the need for a zoom lens. Also what sold me is the increased flying speed, FPV&360 cameras, and retractable landing gear.

Time will tell if I made the right decision.

Well I pulled trigger and pre-ordered the I2.This was a very tough decision for me as the P4 pro is very tempting and more of a bang for the buck bird. The camera alone is worth the upgrade in my mind. I have a P3P and P4 which are my current go to birds for AP/V.

However, I am looking for a solution where I can change out the lenses. Specifically the need for a zoom lens. Also what sold me is the increased flying speed, FPV&360 cameras, and retractable landing gear.

Time will tell if I made the right decision.

You can't go wrong with the I2. I would guess that it will be awhile before we see an I3 popping on the market. DJI has packed plenty into the I2 and left it modular so upgrades can continue to occur. We'll probably be on the Phantom 6 Pro model by the time the I3 comes out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor