Inspect your P3 before flight!

I am wondering if it has to do with the balance of the props. I don't know how you would check them unless someone makes a balancer but I would bet that might be the cause. That including bad plastic.

Anyone make a balancer for these props?

I am wondering if it has to do with the balance of the props. I don't know how you would check them unless someone makes a balancer but I would bet that might be the cause. That including bad plastic.

Anyone make a balancer for these props?
The props are balanced pretty well out of the box. It would take a crap load of vibrations to crack plastic. If they were vibrating that bad, the props themselves probably would not hold together.
Yes there are balancers available.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I did see a couple different balancer after I made that post. So, HWCM, I assume you have a balancer and have checked your props. Which one do you have?

As fast as these motor spin it won't take much to crack the crappy plastic they are using. And it you are flying under a load like in high winds it would be worse. I don't think "pretty well" is enough. They are either balanced or not.

I did see a couple different balancer after I made that post. So, HWCM, I assume you have a balancer and have checked your props. Which one do you have?

As fast as these motor spin it won't take much to crack the crappy plastic they are using. And it you are flying under a load like in high winds it would be worse. I don't think "pretty well" is enough. They are either balanced or not.
These props flex by design. When i say pretty well, I mean that seven of the eight I have needed no adjustments. The one was so close I did not bother.
I have this one.
Tru-Spin Prop Balancer
The rod for the DJI spin on props is sold separately.

Ok, thanks for the link.

I have been flying a P2 since they first came out. It started getting small hairline cracks soon after I got it. I bought a replacement shell and it's still in the box. I guess I got lucky and they never got any bigger. I just bought a P3P used off the classified. It has a fine crack by one of the motor screws but after about 20 flights it hasn't go any bigger.

I have looked at the MAVIC forum and it seems that have similar problems. I would suppose the P4's have the problem also but have read their forums. Anyway it's hard to believe they haven't fixed it. Doesn't say much for DJI.

I have looked at the MAVIC forum and it seems that have similar problems. I would suppose the P4's have the problem also but have read their forums. Anyway it's hard to believe they haven't fixed it. Doesn't say much for DJI.
Even the Mavic too? Well it said much for DJI... Chinese quality level.

Last edited:
Even the Mavic too? Well it said much for DJI... Chinese quality level.
My 3A has zero cracking, as do the vast majority of Phantoms. The primary cause of the cracks are, without doubt, over-torqued screws that cause stress to the shell, so I re-torqued all mine before I took my first flight.

I broke a sweat undoing my motor mount screws before my first flight, i actually stripped one head getting the **** thing loose. Assembly line HAD to be using a powered socket wrench/tool to tighten, which was set on 11!
Either a bad run of plastic or their tork wrenches were set on stun!

My 3A has zero cracking, as do the vast majority of Phantoms. The primary cause of the cracks are, without doubt, over-torqued screws that cause stress to the shell, so I re-torqued all mine before I took my first flight.
What's the proper torque?

From all the posts that talk about these types of cracks it leads me to believe that dji may have hade faulty plastic manufacturing or the screws/bolts were tightened to much on the assembly floor, if they use a electric driver or if they are tightened by hand their is still room for error.
The screws are to tight and when in the air with the motor putting stress on the area the cracks appear.
I have backed all my motor mount screws out and re-tightened them to a fit I feel comfortable with

Did the same with my P3P. Hand tight non man-tight.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I don't think no one knows for sure. But post 32 has the right idea.

It is too late for it but my P3 with 40 flights don't have a single crack.
2331b1ee8f2b6af28cdd90c0cc7c8a7a.jpg
Where did buy this?

I installed those plates and it caused my plastic to break. The small inserts went in tightly. Screwed them in and bam....cracked !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z