Indoor flying...anyone really doing it?

I've done it just in the bigger rooms of the house with prop guards on. Too boring to be worth it.

I have been flying outdoors in GPS mode for quite a while now and feel I'm ready for the next step. There is all sorts of info on the internet about activating the Naza control but it's a little confusing because I am using the Phantom 2 it seems the literature mostly refers to people using the Phantom 1.

So I have 2 questions:

How do I activate the Phantom 2 to enable IOC, Attitude mode and manual mode? I have downloaded the PT2 software but not sure what to do next.

What advice can you give me for flying indoors (I have access to a large empty basketball stadium for a weekend all to myself and I want to do some tests with no one around to hurt.

Thanks.

Yes, lots of people are doing it. The argument if it is safe or not is kind of silly. Lots of examples here that people have managed to cut themselves. I cut my wrist when I was a kid with a prop on a boat from an .049 gas engine. Still have the scar.

I've flown mine in low hover in my house. Not being a very good pilot, it got out of shape and crashed into our grandfather clock leaving some new decorative scratches in the base.

I think the thing that's really dangerous about the Phantom is that it is so stable (especially to inexperienced pilots like myself) that you can easily get overconfident with it. Especially if (like me) you are still easily disoriented once the Phantom is facing towards you and begin to confuse control inputs.

Fly inside my house all the time. I do have a larger home with some bigger rooms. Does a nice job sucking the cobwebs out of the corners of the room :lol:

mpanaretos said:
What advice can you give me for flying indoors (I have access to a large empty basketball stadium for a weekend all to myself and I want to do some tests with no one around to hurt.

Thanks.

First get experienced outdoors. Second get the prop guards with the string so if you do bump a wall it won't crash and die. Finally always stand behind it and fly in Attitude mode. If you do happen to confuse the inputs you have very little time to react and GPS can't save you since you have no gps signals.

It always goes well at first, but then prop wash starts to circulate around the room and things get sideways pretty fast. The Phantom becomes its own worst enemy indoors.

Eos630 said:
It always goes well at first, but then prop wash starts to circulate around the room and things get sideways pretty fast. The Phantom becomes its own worst enemy indoors.

+1

My very first test flights with my FC40 were indoors (bad weather). The first two batteries (with a day in between) were mostly used 'feeling' the lift-of behaviour and adjusting the gains. The longest flight was perhaps 20 seconds during that phase. I flew it in a very small space of about 1,5x1,5 meter inside obstacles. The third battery I then used that second day in one single flight of 9 minutes to L1 warning and another similar single flight the next day. It gave me the opportunity to test a few settings and let the Phantom prove in those two 9 min. flights it didn't have any early failing vital components before I flew it outdoors.

I flew in ATTI mode with RTH and RAP switched off so it wouldn't try to drill a hole in my ceiling if things went wrong. :mrgreen:

Flying inside, think of a leaf blower level of wind blowing everywhere. It can be done, but there will be so many dust bunnies, cobwebs, paper, hair balls moving around, it's a bit disgusting. Let alone flying in atti. Not recommended. I have flown in a dance studio. Big air circulation was like a wind, and the thought of a weed whacker landing on young perfect dancers was not a good flight thought. Keep,it outside.

Roadkilt said:
Flying inside, think of a leaf blower level of wind blowing everywhere. It can be done, but there will be so many dust bunnies, cobwebs, paper, hair balls moving around, it's a bit disgusting. Let alone flying in atti. Not recommended. I have flown in a dance studio. Big air circulation was like a wind, and the thought of a weed whacker landing on young perfect dancers was not a good flight thought. Keep,it outside.

+1 - I just flew in a 25,000sq ft ballroom and yes it's tricky (at the least) First flight over freshly set tables literally cleared the tables of silverware, place settings & center piece... lol. Second flight (after laughing stopped) crashed into 60ft piece of lighting truss - Atti mode indoors + propwash = turbulent ride. And NO - no one but our crew was in room. Large stage made for good take off & landing spot. Note to self: approach landing spot below lighting truss. http://youtu.be/tBMwIhX_Rok

Finally after all this time (10 months since I got my first P2V), I tried flying indoors today. I was filming my friend in a smallish high school gym practicing the Roue Cyr. This is a big metal ring that you spin around and do amazing things on - here he is http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/wp ... ces022.jpg

Anyway, the gym was almost vacant except us, and I flew the P2V+ very carefully, but still it was tough. I flew for only 10 minutes or so and didn't hit any walls or anything but it is tough and I think it would take me a while before I became proficient at it. I flew in careful circles around and over him (he loved it when I flew over since it was quite hot and the downdraft is wonderful feeling). The lighting was bad and there were crappy reflections off the floor so the footage isn't that great - not posting any here. But it can be done by a non-expert pilot but just be careful. If you tell it to go in any direction, it goes...and keeps going.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl