Indoor flying...anyone really doing it?

Banjer said:
denodan said:
DON'T EVER DO IT, IT'S SO DANGEROUS AND RISK GETTING HURT.
Imo that's overreacting. If you want to do it, just be aware of the risks and don't do it near other people, pets or in someone else his house. If it's just you and your stuff in the room, go ahead, but realize you can hurt yourself or your stuff.

Also people underestimate the dangers of flying something like a Phantom inside. The danger also, is if it hits a wall, or floor, furniture, etc and those blades break, or come off, then it becomes a missile, and in a confined space becomes very dangerous and the confined space, creates a lot of air turbulence and can get out of control and if it hits something, could be very dangerous, not only risking injury but damaging furniture. Only fly something like a ladybird inside. The speed the blades are going makes these dangerous, learned that with RC Helicopters, and reading, they take the dangers seriously, whereas owners it seems here do not. Why is it those who fly quads discount the dangers. These things are like lawn motors and but open spinning blades, these break when inside, or come off lookout, the dangers are even far worse then outside. You got to treat these things with respect and with caution and safety all the time. They are not toys. Get serious guys, treat them with care.

People will do what they want to do anyway, but anybody that thinks these props are safe and won't hurt or cause damage is kidding themselves and offering newbees bad information. I have a v929 that I fly inside in the winter and on bad days. It has "very flexible" plastic 5" blades on it. I landed too close to my feet once, about a month ago ,and one of the blades tore my toenail off. I've hit myself once or twice and the blades hurt like hell. These are 5" blades driven by a motor one quarter of an inch thick. Think about 8" props driven by a motor the size of the phantom. Don't kid yourself,do as you want but don't make the statement they are safe.

denodan said:
Also people underestimate the dangers of flying something like a Phantom inside. The danger also, is if it hits a wall, or floor, furniture, etc and those blades break, or come off, then it becomes a missile, and in a confined space becomes very dangerous and the confined space, creates a lot of air turbulence and can get out of control and if it hits something, could be very dangerous, not only risking injury but damaging furniture. Only fly something like a ladybird inside. The speed the blades are going makes these dangerous, learned that with RC Helicopters, and reading, they take the dangers seriously, whereas owners it seems here do not. Why is it those who fly quads discount the dangers. These things are like lawn motors and but open spinning blades, these break when inside, or come off lookout, the dangers are even far worse then outside. You got to treat these things with respect and with caution and safety all the time. They are not toys. Get serious guys, treat them with care.
Life is full of risks. The possibility of a prop breaking, becoming a missile, flying into my eye and killing me is a risk I am willing to take. We could list all kinds of dangers in life. People have died playing basketball - let's not even consider motorcycles. Yet, with some risks also come fun. I'd rather die having fun at a young age than sitting in a nursing home waiting for my diaper to be changed because I played it safe.

Darrell1 said:
Life is full of risks. The possibility of a prop breaking, becoming a missile, flying into my eye and killing me is a risk I am willing to take. We could list all kinds of dangers in life. People have died playing basketball - let's not even consider motorcycles. Yet, with some risks also come fun. I'd rather die having fun at a young age than sitting in a nursing home waiting for my diaper to be changed because I played it safe.

I like that; In fact, the closer you are to death, the more you feel alive :mrgreen:
On a serious note, an experienced flier could easily and rightfully state it's easy to fly the phantom indoors, and little risk is involved; but this is because of his/her experience. But the whole 'toy' and 'easy to fly' status of the phantom attracts some idiot behavior too; flying the phantom requires learning; no autopilot can do that for you. So learn to fly the darned thing, learn it well; and than it is quite safe and likely without risks to fly indoors; Not because the phantom can't do any harm but because your flying skills and experience will prevent you from posing a threat to yourself or your interior ;)
I had a spinning stock prop hit my finger once; it stung all right, but no damage done; maybe I got lucky maybe not. But the force of the hit sure taught me a lesson in being careful with these things.

Safety precautions that can be taken if you want to fly indoors: set your fail safe to land only, and disable intelligent cut off. That way it won't start bouncing around should fs kick in; and if you kill the throttle, the engines will stop immediately.

tvpopta said:
the whole 'toy' and 'easy to fly' status of the phantom attracts some idiot behavior too; flying the phantom requires learning; no autopilot can do that for you. So learn to fly the darned thing, learn it well; and than it is quite safe and likely without risks to fly indoors; Not because the phantom can't do any harm but because your flying skills and experience will prevent you from posing a threat to yourself or your interior
AMEN! Well stated.

Well said and true, a well experienced Pilot can get away with flying indoors, but maybe many here are not experienced, pilots. It takes a very long time to become good at flying these things.

A test of how well you can fly, is use the Naza assist and turn on Manual mode. it's the best and only true way to be able to learn to fly well, or buy a practice quad, manual only, no GPS or fancy autopilot stuff, if you can fly one of these, you will find the Phantom a breeze.

Watch many You Tube videos of people crashing into trees, etc, it is mostly a lack of experience.

Darrell1 said:
When mine first arrived, I've hovered in my small living room and moved around just a bit. I'm not sure why it would be considered dangerious. The props are plastic. They won't slice you open.

These Props are VERY dangerous and WILL slice you open! I had it happen when I went to picked up a crashed unit with motors still running, In a split second I had eight fairly deep cuts to my hand from one of those suckers and bled big time. Take care.

tsp1000 said:
Darrell1 said:
When mine first arrived, I've hovered in my small living room and moved around just a bit. I'm not sure why it would be considered dangerious. The props are plastic. They won't slice you open.

These Props are VERY dangerous and WILL slice you open! I had it happen when I went to picked up a crashed unit with motors still running, In a split second I had eight fairly deep cuts to my hand from one of those suckers and bled big time. Take care.
tsp1000 said:
Darrell1 said:

I picture, if you have one may get it into those who think these are not dangerous think twice. Only inexperienced Pilots and a lack of experience would think this. Anyone who has flown for awhile will know the dangers.

i cannot stress it enough here, but no one is prepared to listen.

I have done it plenty of times. Since there is only a little GPS signal indoors, it is best to fly in attitude mode. You can therefore avoid error corrections from autopilot system that generates vibrations. Since there is no wind inside it is very easy to stabilize the drone. Here is a video where I do some professional indoor flying: :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4FCiUOOx6k

This thread was very timely to me as yesterday I was fitting some new 9" CF props and tweaking the NAZA gain settings for them, and realized pretty quickly that it was hard to dial these in when the wind is blowing too much. While I wasn't quite brave enough to fire up the Phantom in the house, I figured an empty two-car garage should be enough space.

I have to say it's quite remarkable to see how stable the Phantom can be indoors where there is *zero* breeze. Once you get out of ground effect, it's almost rock-solid in ATTI mode. I didn't have the nerve to zip around too much, but for the purposes of making sure the gain settings were correct, being able to hover indoors was a help.

Regarding "prop danger," I was especially cautious and wore safety glasses simply because of the CF props; they can and will take off a fingertip, so I'm sure an eye would be no problem. But then again, I'm sure an eye would be child's play for the stock plastic props, too -- so best to wear eye protection when you and the Phantom are in tight quarters together. I guess whether you think they are "dangerous" or not depends on what body part is closest to them at the moment. :)

Finally, I'll raise one additional concern about indoor flying. We've all been admonished to be sure that our GoPros have their WiFi turned off because the 2.4GHz frequency can easily interfere with the TX/RX and cause unpleasant things to happen. For those of you flying around the living room and whatnot, I would just suggest that you pay close attention to where your wireless routers are sitting. I wouldn't want to get one of those between you and your Phantom, just to be safe.

I've flown indoors, fun chasing the cat around... :twisted: plus other tight areas and have had my fingers hit the props many times, including running my Phantom into my leg once. yes it stung, but wasn't a Ginsu knife either. Rounding off the leading edge of the props does reduce the cutting effect and I have a set done that way if I'm flying anywhere near people.

BruceTS said:
I've flown indoors, fun chasing the cat around... :twisted: plus other tight areas and have had my fingers hit the props many times, including running my Phantom into my leg once. yes it stung, but wasn't a Ginsu knife either. Rounding off the leading edge of the props does reduce the cutting effect and I have a set done that way if I'm flying anywhere near people.

Once you hit someone the blades should be safer for the next person. :lol:

I can imagine the news headline, man hacked to death by freak phantom accident in garage.

But flying indoors in an open space is very easy just dont use gps mode and avoid tight areas as wind bouncing off objects will give you some control issues, good practice for advanced users trying to fly in a small room but big mistake for rookies. Your nice new carbon props will scratch up walls, furniture and pets pretty bad along with destroying themselves if they touch anything hard.

Has anyone managed a flip inside their bedroom yet?

Totally cool, what a beautiful place. Made me inspired to work with a local dance studio!

Which mode do you fly it in?

I want to video bikes in a 100,000 sq ft warehouse with 40ft ceilings

If GPS works, then fine. But I suspect ATTI mode would be the working mode. I would be sure you are proficient in it before going live. It isn't hard but you need to pay a bit more attention since automatic stabilization is no longer available.

ladykate said:
If GPS works, then fine. But I suspect ATTI mode would be the working mode. I would be sure you are proficient in it before going live. It isn't hard but you need to pay a bit more attention since automatic stabilization is no longer available.

Only difference you'll notice between the 2 modes, GPS it stops traveling when you center the sticks, they both still have stabilization active, only manual mode doesn't.

denodan said:
DON'T EVER DO IT, IT'S SO DANGEROUS AND RISK GETTING HURT.

Lol, what a spaz. It's no more dangerous than flying it outside. If you consider the probability of a flyaway (and harming someone else), it might even be safer.

DomKane said:
meh... Done it a few times, but unless your house is the size of a field, I get bored. :)

Bingo +1

I would not do GPS mode indoors for the simple reason that your GPS position can vary significantly as you move around. This would be due to getting a limited number of satellites which would change rapidly as you go past different objects that block or expose them. In other words, the likelihood of a GPS jump is much greater. All depends on the construction of the indoor space.

And you better be good at ATTI as it's like running on ice. I love it but you can easily hit something if you get carried away.

Make SMALL corrections to keep it manageable. Don't over-correct. The quote above that it's like skating on ice is perfect.

I have also accidentally put my hand into the spinning blade of a hovering Phantom. It hurt but no cuts. The phantom hit the ground from 5 feet and it got the dreaded Error 25. 4 hours and 4 HARD smacks to the table later, my NAZA was good as new.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj