Increasing the range V1.2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Phantom V1.2 that I have added a Fatshark Attitude 600mw transmitter and goggles. With Uno Receiver. I would like to increase the video range from the fatshark to my ground receivers, the goggles and the Uno. So that is 3 antennas and one has to be pretty light for the transmitter on the bird. That is the video side of my project and it looks pretty simple with no modifications to any parts, just screw in an antenna.

Also I would like to increase the control range and I see there are mods to install an antenna in the Controller but I have not seen anything for the antennas on the quad. I am sure they are there but I go to search I get confused by a bunch of words that I forgot the meaning of. I would love to find a simple to understand instructions on how to get through this stuff. I have bought a couple of books on my kindle but they do not go to this area.

Is the Uno Rx connected to a separate monitor?

There's tons of good antenna options, and many threads on those in the FPV section (no simple answer to your question I'm afraid): viewforum.php?f=31

Installing an antenna mod on the stock controller can be done, but it takes some pretty slick soldering skills where the antenna lead attaches to the control board. The leads you're connecting and the pads they join are all very tiny and tricky to get right without crippling the range of your antenna.

OI Photography said:
Is the Uno Rx connected to a separate monitor?

There's tons of good antenna options, and many threads on those in the FPV section (no simple answer to your question I'm afraid): viewforum.php?f=31

Installing an antenna mod on the stock controller can be done, but it takes some pretty slick soldering skills where the antenna lead attaches to the control board. The leads you're connecting and the pads they join are all very tiny and tricky to get right without crippling the range of your antenna.

First, thanks for the response. It is really cool how helpful you are. It is appreciated.

Yes, I connect an 8" monitor to the Uno and my DVR is also connected to the Uno. I think I can handle the soldering, been doing it for years, although it has been years since I raced slot cars. (I bought a new Weller Soldering Station recently) I also sweat pipe, weld bigger things etc..

I have looked through several pages of the FPV forum, but it seems that there are so many posts that things are disappearing quickly. Also the search function does me very little good even with using the + sign.

Finally, Is there anyway to improve the antennas on the quad also, or just the stock controller?

Never a problem, I'm always glad to help!

Wedeliver said:
Yes, I connect an 8" monitor to the Uno and my DVR is also connected to the Uno.

Sounds like we have the same gear...is it the 8" montor sold by readymaderc and getfpv.com? I just added readymade's DVR to my setup on Friday :)

While it's possible to replace the stock Rx antennae (they use a standard connector), I'm not aware of any that will help your range really. Longer ones might be useful though if it lets you route them away from obstacles or interference. I've seen Phantom owners run them along the bottom of two separate arms to hang down or out at the ends.

If you want to replace the antenna on your controller, go ahead and open it up and you'll see where the current antenna lead attaches to the board, any replacement will get soldered on just the same. The inner conductor gets soldered to one pad, the outer conducting layer gets soldered to the other pad, and some of the insulation layer between the two conductors must remain exposed between the solder connections. If you're comfortable with that then you can replace it with a standard SMA pigtail that will allow you to attach different standardized antenna options: http://www.alofthobbies.com/rf-coax-assembly-70mm.html

Note: if you use that pigtail, you'll need to remove the tiny connector on the board end of it and strip the wire in layers for the soldering I described above.

OI Photography said:
Never a problem, I'm always glad to help!

Wedeliver said:
Yes, I connect an 8" monitor to the Uno and my DVR is also connected to the Uno.

Sounds like we have the same gear...is it the 8" montor sold by readymaderc and getfpv.com? I just added readymade's DVR to my setup on Friday :)

While it's possible to replace the stock Rx antennae (they use a standard connector), I'm not aware of any that will help your range really. Longer ones might be useful though if it lets you route them away from obstacles or interference. I've seen Phantom owners run them along the bottom of two separate arms to hang down or out at the ends.

If you want to replace the antenna on your controller, go ahead and open it up and you'll see where the current antenna lead attaches to the board, any replacement will get soldered on just the same. The inner conductor gets soldered to one pad, the outer conducting layer gets soldered to the other pad, and some of the insulation layer between the two conductors must remain exposed between the solder connections. If you're comfortable with that then you can replace it with a standard SMA pigtail that will allow you to attach different standardized antenna options: http://www.alofthobbies.com/rf-coax-assembly-70mm.html

Note: if you use that pigtail, you'll need to remove the tiny connector on the board end of it and strip the wire in layers for the soldering I described above.

Yes, I think we do have the same equipment. My monitor has no name on it anywhere and I don't think readymaderc makes this stuff, they just stick their name on it as there name comes up when I turn on my dvr also. (I think, I want to confirm that)

I really want to say how nice you are Ol, you and a bunch of other folks here at Phantom Pilots take a lot out of your day to help other users. I try and learn and pass on the knowledge you give me. I am working with Tony at FPVLR and he is sending me antennas and cable to increase both my video and controller range. The one think I am not doing at this time, but that I want to do, is replace the stock antenna on the quads receiver with a much better one. I see I do gotta keep my eye on the weight of everything I am sticking on this bird but so far it all looks good. When I built my iosd system I hung all the stuff on the outside bottom and side of the quad and I think I am going to move all that stuff inside. I was worried about heat but winter is coming sooo..

Here is the mess I made to the outside. I am going to put it all inside, except for my flytrex.

Attachments

• 20140819_152553.jpeg
    20140819_152553.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 501
  • 20140819_152703.jpeg
    20140819_152703.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 447
Thanks for your kind words! The dirty secret is that I use this site to help keep the other half of my brain occupied when I'm sitting on boring conference calls or other similar wastes of time at my day job (which is often lol).

Yes the 8" monitor and little DVR that are both sold by RMRC and getfpv are just rebadged models by some other unnamed manufacturers. I've seen both sold under several different labels around the globe. I don't know if you saw, but getfpv.com now has that same monitor with a 5.8GHz diversity receiver built in ;)

What is FPVLR sending you that will help your controller range? I know they make great FPV antennae but I didn't know he had any for improving a 2.4GHz control signal.

You can certainly try different antenna leads on the stock control receiver but I don't know how much that will help unless it's just to be able to route them away from obstacles or obstructions (I got longer leads for my aftermarket Rx for that exact reason). However even the stock DJI leads have been used out to some pretty impressive distances with the right conditions etc. Not sure if that was with a modified controller, but either way I'm not sure how much mileage you'd get out of going through the trouble of replacing them.

Oh, also...I'm sure you're planning on cleaning things up a bit when you move them inside, but I would highly recommend you consider getting the P1 upgrade board and ditch the PMU. It'll take some soldering skills but nothing fancy, and it'll save you a ton of space and a fair bit of weight. That and shortening up the cables once you have final component placement decided. Let us know if you need a hand with either :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl