Increasing range of Phantom

Reaction score
I've searched and cannot find good info on tried and true methods of increasing the range of the DJI stock transmitter. There is a wealth of info on FPV, and of course replacing the stock with a Futaba or some such, but little on improving range on the DJI transmitter. I have seen a person who used a wifi booster tied to an inverter tied to a deep cycle 12v battery. This is a little overkill for me. Wouldnt there be a better antenna solution? Im sure there are threads on this but I havent found them. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance..

CCEMax said:
I've searched and cannot find good info on tried and true methods of increasing the range of the DJI stock transmitter. There is a wealth of info on FPV, and of course replacing the stock with a Futaba or some such, but little on improving range on the DJI transmitter. I have seen a person who used a wifi booster tied to an inverter tied to a deep cycle 12v battery. This is a little overkill for me. Wouldnt there be a better antenna solution? Im sure there are threads on this but I havent found them. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance..

If you wanna talk over-kill, wait til the DJI Lightbridge comes out....it handles the signals for BOTH your FPV equiment and your Remote controller.... you can go over Three(3) Miles with their antenna upgrades...WOW!!! And thats with HIGH DEFINITON video stream!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

CCEMax said:

There have been handful of guys on this forum going over 5k with stock transmitter, any further and you wont have enough juice to get back home. The new stock innards in the new Phantom models are good. What's your max range you're going for?

you can find the marathon flyers here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8406

Check out how this guy changed the stock antenna on the controller.
This is what I am going to do when the parts arrive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcl-hT5iznY[/youtube]

thongbong said:
CCEMax said:

There have been handful of guys on this forum going over 5k with stock transmitter, any further and you wont have enough juice to get back home. The new stock innards in the new Phantom models are good. What's your max range you're going for?

you can find the marathon flyers here:
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8406

Wow, 5K is pretty incredible distance. Im still getting the hang of the weight, battery life issue. I have only made two upgrades so far to the phantom. First 9" carbon props, and second an anti-vibration mount for the gopro. Im like a kid in the candy store with all the upgrade options. Next, (which is on its way from China) is the FPV setup. I started with a Boscam 400 mW tx, and a boscam 7" diversity monitor rx. Im going with a combo antenna setup. a helical and omni. Id like the range of the stock radio to be around the same as the FPV. Since I havent set it up yet im not sure how far the FPV rig's range will be but im guessing farther than the stock controller.

UFOwithaGoPro said:
CCEMax said:

If you wanna talk over-kill, wait til the DJI Lightbridge comes out....it handles the signals for BOTH your FPV equiment and your Remote controller.... you can go over Three(3) Miles with their antenna upgrades...WOW!!! And thats with HIGH DEFINITON video stream!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

I was just reading about it. Incredible! My limit with something like that would be the battery. I watched someone change out their phantom 1 body with a replacement 2 shell and put a new door on to be able to get the 5000+ mah batteries to fit.

CCEMax said:
I was just reading about it. Incredible! My limit with something like that would be the battery. I watched someone change out their phantom 1 body with a replacement 2 shell and put a new door on to be able to get the 5000+ mah batteries to fit.

The lightbridge looks really impressive. The $1600 price even more so :D

You can fit a 55mm wide 5400mah battery in a Phantom 1 shell as well, with some moderate knifework. The P2 bottom shell is an easier option. Either is good for 20+ minute flight times, fully loaded.

XrNuUjm.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl