IMU Calibration

Reaction score
Hello, just bought my first P3P. Hope someone can help answer my questions.

1) Must firmware update be performed before doing the IMU calibration? I wasn't aware so I did both IMU and gimbal calibration first wihtout having my firmware updated. Will there be any problems for this error?

2) I mistakenly performed IMU calibration twice even though the 1st calibration had been successful. Will it matter?

3) Is IMU calibration an one-time off task? If not, how frequent do I need to do calibration?

The IMU should be the 1st calibration performed after a firmware update. The IMU should be calibrated with aircraft as cold as possible. Some even place their aircraft in the freezer prior to the process. By doing this process it will speed up the start up time once the aircraft is 1st powered on. You would calibrate the IMU in the future only if you notice unusual flight habits, or after each firmware update.

Calibrating the compass is the most frequent to need calibrated often. I properly calibrate my compass prior to each fresh battery install....where there are others that only calibrate their compass when launching from a new location. The compass calibration has been the most debated subject on the P3.

Don't forget the Remote Controller. It also needs calibrated.

Last edited:
1. No problem
2. No problem
3. You may do it after each FW upgrade of aircraft in cold condition on a perfectly leveled surface.

Thanks both for the prompt response. It gives me a peace of mind now. Will update my firmware and remote controller soon.

Yep I agree ok on all account, one additional....
Calibrate IMU and the Gimbal after any hard landing or crash in addition to the recommendations posted above.

Calibrate the RC(sticks) after any update to RC.

Hello, just finished updating the firmware. However, the process took much shorther time than 25 mins as told. Is that abnormal?

I inserted the SD card into my computer to check if the update was successful. The addtional file appered was PX3_FW_RESULT_AB and not TXT. Why?

When I clicked on the file however, it said updating sucessful. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Opps, I also just realised that I forgot to remove the foam holding the gimbal when updating firmware just now and doing IMU calibration last week. Will it damage the part of the gimbal, etc?

Opps, I also just realised that I forgot to remove the foam holding the gimbal when updating firmware just now and doing IMU calibration last week. Will it damage the part of the gimbal, etc?
Don't think so. I've left my lens cover/gimbal clamp on after start up and its was fine!. However, it wont have calibrated your gimbal, that's for sure!

Inertial Measurement Unit

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl