Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

IMU Calibration Initial

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by AirApparent, Jun 25, 2015.

1. AirApparent

First off. Yes I searched the forum to get my answer with no success. Quick question: just got my P3 today. Should I calibrate the IMU before puttin it up? Just concerned about knock around in shipping. Or should I just give it hell?

mmee1992 likes this.
  2. msinger

Approved Vendor

It would be a good idea to calibrate it. You should also do it after installing new firmware.

3. AirApparent

Thanks msinger. Just can't wait to fly this thing. Going to RTFM again tonight. Hopefully I don't overthink this whole thing into a maiden voyage wreck.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

5. snerd

I didn't. But after the first firmware update I did. I would do a Compass calibration first thing, though. And a tip for you.................. don't give it too much hell. It's just a platform to get a camera up in the air. It's really not meant to be a stunt-flying craft.

6. acherman

I did, but my gimbal was tilted out of the box. IMU calibration fixed it. I have done one more since, with it chilled slightly - possibly not enough chill and I may do it again this weekend.

7. mmee1992

If you can chill it, it is recommended to do it with the unit cold. Maybe place in the fridge for 5 minutes and then pull it out and immediately start the calibration. Make sure the surface that you are calibrating is level (check it with a legit level).

8. AirApparent

Thanks. I will be doing that this morning. Checked the marble table each way with a 4 ft level. Dead on bubble all ways. Just want to set up controller. Thanks for the tips!