iMovie to dvd

Reaction score
I've searched this site and googled a fair bit, but without joy.

What software do people recommend to use to burn good quality DVDs (1080p) of their aerial videos? ( I'm assuming you can't burn 2.7k?)
I like iMovie to use so probably just want to use a 3rd party software burning app.
I have an Imac ( sadly without iDVD)
I tried amiersoft dvd burn but the quality was as bad as the Dji app!

Free is good and £20 a month is way too much.

I don't want to stick it on YouTube, just give my Mum ( or my neighbours) a video of her house and village she can watch on tv (42 inch but sadly the usb input doesn't work)
Her dvd player does though.

Thanks
Ty

I've searched this site and googled a fair bit, but without joy.

What software do people recommend to use to burn good quality DVDs (1080p) of their aerial videos? ( I'm assuming you can't burn 2.7k?)
I like iMovie to use so probably just want to use a 3rd party software burning app.
I have an Imac ( sadly without iDVD)
I tried amiersoft dvd burn but the quality was as bad as the Dji app!

Free is good and £20 a month is way too much.

I don't want to stick it on YouTube, just give my Mum ( or my neighbours) a video of her house and village she can watch on tv (42 inch but sadly the usb input doesn't work)
Her dvd player does though.

Thanks
Ty

Let me know if you find a decent DVD burning software for Mac. I have an Macbook Pro without iDVD and need a DVD burning software to burn my aerial videos to DVD. I like what iMovie does but currently don't have a way to burn my productions to DVD.

Look at roxio mydvd. $49.

Reactions: Falcon900
Videopad is good.
For me, the problem is getting the quality of playback of the DVDs to be as near as possible that of the output from the drone. After I've edited the drone video in either iMovie or Videopad, then saved it to file on the computer (the size of the file has increased dramatically for some reason) the playback quality is excellent in either .mov or .mp4 format. BUT, when I burn the video onto a DVD, the quality is dreadful. I have tried burning a 4gb file to a 4.7gb DVD, the results are still lousy. Will using a Blu-Ray burner to an appropriate disc be better?

Basically, the problem lies in the oldness of DVD - it was and remains a old-good-for CRT televisors -resolution standard.
So, no 4K, no 2,7K, no 1080p, no 720p.
Theoretically, tha max. resolution for DVD is 576i (720x576@25fps, 720x480i@29,97fps.
Today we're acustomed to far better video quality.

So, if You wanna do the kind of DVD with menus etc, thats the limit.

Another thing, you can burn on DVD a better video file and play on computer or suitable player (the file size is the only limiting factor there), but such disc will not be recognized as DVD on oldscool DVD Player.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Basically, the problem lies in the oldness of DVD - it was and remains a old-good-for CRT televisors -resolution standard.
So, no 4K, no 2,7K, no 1080p, no 720p.
Theoretically, tha max. resolution for DVD is 576i (720x576@25fps, 720x480i@29,97fps.
Today we're acustomed to far better video quality.

So, if You wanna do the kind of DVD with menus etc, thats the limit.

Another thing, you can burn on DVD a better video file and play on computer or suitable player (the file size is the only limiting factor there), but such disc will not be recognized as DVD on oldscool DVD Player.

Thanks Mix.
That all makes sense. Therefore, to get the best quality on a DVD type of media I need to use a Blu-Ray writer and discs?

G BUCK,

Have you tried using DL DVD?. Your post indicates you are using single layer 4.7GB DVD.
Dual Layer DVD has a capacity of 8.5GB, almost double the capacity of a single layer DVD.
Almost all DVD burners these days can do DVD +R DL, check the specs of your burner. A dual-layer disc has two layers of data, one of them semi-transparent so that the laser can focus through it and read the second layer. Since both layers are read from the same side, a dual-layer disc can hold almost twice as much as a single-layer disc.

So you can burn a file close to up 8.5GB on a single DVD as long as it dual layer or double layer, same thing. No compression, no quality degradation.

Remember a single layer disk will only allow you to record 4.7 gig's of data

G BUCK,
OK thanks. I'll give it a go.

Have you tried using DL DVD?. Your post indicates you are using single layer 4.7GB DVD.
Dual Layer DVD has a capacity of 8.5GB, almost double the capacity of a single layer DVD.
Almost all DVD burners these days can do DVD +R DL, check the specs of your burner. A dual-layer disc has two layers of data, one of them semi-transparent so that the laser can focus through it and read the second layer. Since both layers are read from the same side, a dual-layer disc can hold almost twice as much as a single-layer disc.

So you can burn a file close to up 8.5GB on a single DVD as long as it dual layer or double layer, same thing. No compression, no quality degradation.

Remember a single layer disk will only allow you to record 4.7 gig's of data

Thanks Mix.
That all makes sense. Therefore, to get the best quality on a DVD type of media I need to use a Blu-Ray writer and discs?

Emm, not mandatory: You can use the DVDs, until You can fit in the file size limit (4,2 GB for DVD, 2x more for DL DVD).
The hardest part of this is to understand, which video fike format and settings are playable on Your player.
The Blu-ray imho is a bit overkill - until You don't wanna produce full-size movies (1,5 hours in length), you can't get out any good from the 25GB disc capacity.

What about a thumb drive? I am asking a question, not offering a solution--I don't know. I am going to be showing my P4 movies at a community center so have been mulling over this "portability" question
too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl