I'm having such a hard time pulling the trigger..

I own both and I'm a professional photographer

The P4P is the one to get without question if you want quality images

However, the mavic is far better than I'd thought it could ever be, it's almost as good as my old P3P and the mavic is a blast to fly and I personally prefer the controller (apart from the smaller battery)

So if it's quality, P4P, if it's fun, portability and good quality bit not the best then the mavic

I own both and I'm a professional photographer

The P4P is the one to get without question if you want quality images

However, the mavic is far better than I'd thought it could ever be, it's almost as good as my old P3P and the mavic is a blast to fly and I personally prefer the controller (apart from the smaller battery)

So if it's quality, P4P, if it's fun, portability and good quality bit not the best then the mavic

That's my view too. This is also similar to the question of whether to buy a point-and-shoot camera or a DSLR. I'm getting aerial shots with my Mavic that I'm not going to get with my P4, simply because I have the Mavic with me. It folds up small enough to go in a daypack or just to carry in the dedicated little padded bag that comes with the combo version. It's not a burden to hike with. I've mountain biked with it in my Camelbak. Not happening with a Phantom.

I purchased the mavic.. ultimately, I fly for fun.. beautiful pictures are just for personal pleasure.. I live in Colorado, I'm looking forward to bringing the mavic into the mountains :)

That's my view too. This is also similar to the question of whether to buy a point-and-shoot camera or a DSLR. I'm getting aerial shots with my Mavic that I'm not going to get with my P4, simply because I have the Mavic with me. It folds up small enough to go in a daypack or just to carry in the dedicated little padded bag that comes with the combo version. It's not a burden to hike with. I've mountain biked with it in my Camelbak. Not happening with a Phantom.
The best camera, is the one you have with you.

I carry my DSLR everywhere, I can't carry my P4P everywhere too, but the mavic fits in the same bag as the dslr.....

Reactions: sar104
d92fa358b5bfdb6a7c6b76a7423f74a9.jpg
I took this with a Mavic

In that case, usually the phone camera will win out most of the time :p
Yup, I gave a s8+ and on the rare times I don't gave my DSLR, manual mode and shooting in raw gas provided some amazing results, no replacement for a DSLR but if that's all you had at the time.... :)

The P4P clearly has a better camera, as I pointed out in #6. And so if the OP had not already stated that the P4P is beyond his budget, that might have been a useful comment.
Dunno where you are but here in Australia it's only a couple of hundred dollars between the two.
The ridulous thing here is that P4 batteries are $360 compared to P3 at $249

It's too late, you already bought the Mavic but if you budget was $1,500... I would take a look at the Phantom 4 Advanced... It is better than the original phantom 4 but cheaper than the P4P.

one of the biggest issueds for me personally when im flying the mavic is the lack of ability to change apature like i can on the p4P, so imho ND Filters are a MUST

One feature of the P4P is a 20 MB image. There are many times when the image you capture needs to be cropped. If you feel this is important, go for the P4P. On the other hand, if you are capturing images and video for yourself, you may not want to spend the extra money.

Dunno where you are but here in Australia it's only a couple of hundred dollars between the two.
The ridulous thing here is that P4 batteries are $360 compared to P3 at $249

Same here (US), but the batteries have to be taken into account, as the OP mentioned.

I don't think we disagree at all on the relative merits of the cameras, but I am surprised how little the portability of the Mavic counts to many people.

You may want to think about the phantom 3 professional, got mine for under 600 so you can get 2 that has a 4K camera that does take awesome pics and videos

I sold my phantom advanced and I managed to save some money.. I'm dying to get back in the air. My budget is $1500, not a penny more. I'm thinking about buying the fly more mavic package with dji care.. The only hesitation I have is the camera, I'm by no means any good at photography, but I'm learning.. so I guess my options are brand new mavic or used P4P.. what would you guys do?

Can a picture like this be taken with the mavic?
987c03c0a3f3961bec62a0a59ee8e79c.png
Here's an outliner opinion for you, snatch up a refurbished P4, save the remaining balance $700 for? Extra batteries, etc. I'm assuming you're not a masterclass landscape photographer (yet) and if you crash your bird, you're not out of business.

After mastering your P4, you'll be ready for the P5 coming a week after you'd buy the P4P. If you're still all ginned up on a P4P, check out YouTuber NeverMindYourOwn review of it on the Azores, it will make you rethink your decision.

If you're travelling and portability is key, then you should wait for the reviews of the Spark and consider against Mavic Pro.

Happy flights and safer landings

Phantom....personally I think the maverick is to small,,,my 2 cents,,:)

Last edited:
I agree with Robert, buy a P4 refurbished from DJI or Dronenerds, and use it for a few months and then buy the P5 once it is released. You will not be disappointed with the P4 refurb.

Portability was a huge factor for me, I went with the mavic.. another factor was dji care... way cheaper than any other drone for some reason..

I sold my phantom advanced and I managed to save some money.. I'm dying to get back in the air. My budget is $1500, not a penny more. I'm thinking about buying the fly more mavic package with dji care.. The only hesitation I have is the camera, I'm by no means any good at photography, but I'm learning.. so I guess my options are brand new mavic or used P4P.. what would you guys do?

Can a picture like this be taken with the mavic?
987c03c0a3f3961bec62a0a59ee8e79c.png

Yuneec hexacopter. Spin a prop on a hexacopter and you have 5 more to get you home. Try that on the mav or P4. I won't mention 360 4k uhd video. Oh and for 1500 you could almost buy 2....

Yuneec hexacopter. Spin a prop on a hexacopter and you have 5 more to get you home. Try that on the mav or P4. I won't mention 360 4k uhd video. Oh and for 1500 you could almost buy 2....
The problem with Yuneec is the lack of customer service in the US. At least I hear that they were closing and also the typhoon H is very very weak. You crash that drone and is done for good. Very cheap plastic and the camera easily to break.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka