I'm having such a hard time pulling the trigger..

Reaction score
I sold my phantom advanced and I managed to save some money.. I'm dying to get back in the air. My budget is $1500, not a penny more. I'm thinking about buying the fly more mavic package with dji care.. The only hesitation I have is the camera, I'm by no means any good at photography, but I'm learning.. so I guess my options are brand new mavic or used P4P.. what would you guys do?

Can a picture like this be taken with the mavic?
987c03c0a3f3961bec62a0a59ee8e79c.png

I sold my phantom advanced and I managed to save some money.. I'm dying to get back in the air. My budget is $1500, not a penny more. I'm thinking about buying the fly more mavic package with dji care.. The only hesitation I have is the camera, I'm by no means any good at photography, but I'm learning.. so I guess my options are brand new mavic or used P4P.. what would you guys do?

Phantom....personally I think the maverick is to small,,,my 2 cents,,:)

The Mavic takes photos that are very comparable to the P4, but not as good as the P4P. Its performance is pretty remarkable for its size, and its portability is a huge advantage in many situations. I find myself using it significantly more than my P4.

The Mavic takes photos that are very comparable to the P4, but not as good as the P4P. Its performance is pretty remarkable for its size, and its portability is a huge advantage in many situations. I find myself using it significantly more than my P4.

I think I'm just paranoid because I can't imagine getting another drone for a long time.. i never thought I'd drop 15 on one to begin with.. I think the mavic will be good for me

I'd go with the P4P
Much better camera.
To me the Mavic looks like a toy - just my 2c

Perhaps you should try flying one, since what it looks like is not really relevant to its performance. Personally I now think it looks less like a toy than the Phantoms.

Perhaps you should try flying one, since what it looks like is not really relevant to its performance. Personally I now think it looks less like a toy than the Phantoms.

Each to their own opinion.
I have no intention of paying for something that has the same camera as my P3Ps and has a controller that looks like it belongs on an Xbox

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
I agree it's all about performance and bang for my buck... to get 3 batteries with P4P would put me way over budget.

You could get close to your budget with a P4, so it really depends on how much you value the other newer features of the Mavic plus its portability vs. the additional stability of the P4 for video in windy conditions. One other possible consideration that could easily be fixed in the Mavic firmware is that you cannot switch the Mavic into ATTI mode, so no way to practice, even though it will still drop into ATTI if it loses GPS.

You could get close to your budget with a P4, so it really depends on how much you value the other newer features of the Mavic plus its portability vs. the additional stability of the P4 for video in windy conditions. One other possible consideration that could easily be fixed in the Mavic firmware is that you cannot switch the Mavic into ATTI mode, so no way to practice, even though it will still drop into ATTI if it loses GPS.

The P4 still only has the 12 MP camera
The Pro has the 20 MP with a 1 inch sensor

The P4 still only has the 12 MP camera
The Pro has the 20 MP with a 1 inch sensor

The P4P clearly has a better camera, as I pointed out in #6. And so if the OP had not already stated that the P4P is beyond his budget, that might have been a useful comment.

The p4p is within my budget but that's all I can get.. no extra batteries, no dji care(way more expensive than for the mavic) no lenses.. just a beautiful drone.. if I go with the mavic I can get everything I need and then some

My vote, spend the money on the best key hardware up front. Same goes true for anything like this IMO. A mavic with 12 batteries still won't take the pics a P4P is capable of.

I had one battery for a while, charges in 60 min or so...waiting wasn't terrible. A bday later, now I have a few.

The p4p is within my budget but that's all I can get.. no extra batteries, no dji care(way more expensive than for the mavic) no lenses.. just a beautiful drone.. if I go with the mavic I can get everything I need and then some

As @Phill2, @Munch520 and several others have pointed out - if image quality is your primary goal then the P4P is the best platform in this market segment, so if you can stretch to it then it may be worth other sacrifices. If that's not primary, or if there are other considerations, such as portability, then the Mavic or P4 may be better choices.

I agree with Munch. If you're interested in photography, the P4P is the way to go. Worry about everything else later.

Filters (which is what we're talking about, not lenses) are relatively cheap, and it's not like you have to have them immediately. Ask for a set for you birthday or something. Get a spare battery or two when there's a deal. I got a great price on a P3 battery on Cyber Monday. And personally, I don't see a lot of value in the glorified extended warranty.

You can save up more money later for accessories. You cannot turn a Mavic into a P4P once your $1500 is spent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl