Icy Frost at Sunrise

Reaction score
People asked me why I used a drone where an SLR would do. I said "my DSLR can't fly and drones don't leave footprints" I spent half hour taking stills and 4k---and you'd never know I was there. This is a composite of 3 shots with P4 (makes an excellent panorama platform) Nevada somewhere. It was 12 degrees f and I sat in my warm truck (another reason to forgo the DSLR)!

Frosti Morning copy.jpg

With my larger full-sized sensor in my SLR, I could have taken this shot out of the window of my car without even having to open the door. Wouldn't need to get out of my warm vehicle to set up the drone with freezing fingers, then worry about flying the thing with reduced battery life because of the cold, then landing the bird in the snow, then worrying about a potential fly-away -- all to get a great shot at ground level.

Gorgeous HDR shot Dan, but it's not a drone shot per se. Now, 20-30 ft. up in the air, that would have been a great drone shot! I'm just hoping you don't hurt anyone when you use your drone to shoot a wedding [emoji23][emoji57].

I'm just a'funnin' you Billy!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

With the 3 shots to get that look do you take each shot at a different exposure then layer them together with a program like photoshop? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I would just like to learn how to take some better pics.

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

With the 3 shots to get that look do you take each shot at a different exposure then layer them together with a program like photoshop? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I would just like to learn how to take some better pics.

that's basically what an hdr image is, I'm guessing that's what he did here

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

You can set the Phantom to take bracketed shots - either 3 or 5 and then use a number of programs to compile them. I like how Lightroom does it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I for one love this shot. I have been shooting HDR for several years now and once mastered, will yield great results like this one. A comment was made that this ins "not a drone shot per se". I would disagree...having shot stills in cold temperature, it can be very painful when the cold sets in. If you can fly from the comfort of a warm vehicle and get the shot you want...be it from 5 feet or 50 feet off the ground, why quibble about whether it is a legit drone shot?? It is a flying photographic platform and can do our bidding in anyway we choose to use it. Well, that's just my opinion of course.....

People asked me why I used a drone where an SLR would do. I said "my DSLR can't fly and drones don't leave footprints" I spent half hour taking stills and 4k---and you'd never know I was there. This is a composite of 3 shots with P4 (makes an excellent panorama platform) Nevada somewhere. It was 12 degrees f and I sat in my warm truck (another reason to forgo the DSLR)!

View attachment 76039
Very nice pic!

Sent from my SM-N900P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks a lot! I use the right hand wheel to bracket for post hdr treatment--it becomes a habit especially with shooting into the sun with snow on ground. The camera wants to under expose by a full stop so I open up in One third increments back to correct exposure. Anybody use the built in HDR? not sure if it takes multiple shots or just applies a tone-mapping treatment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl