I wasted my money

GeeWhiz, did they give you an Associates Degree perhaps. Total Ripoff. [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] I passed my Part 107 without paying for study material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that! I took Dartdrones Part 107 Test Prep course and the flight training course a few weeks ago and I thought it was amazing. They gave me a 50-page study guide, a ton of practice questions and 6 months access to their website! This was on the Part 107 test prep day. Having no former experience, I thought the hands on flight training was extremely helpful. I paid so much money for my UAV that I didn't want to risk trying to teach myself and I'm glad I didn't. I definitely plan on taking one of their advanced courses in the future, but I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I would 100% recommend training with them to anyone who is serious about commercial drone use.

I'm on the same page as you. I just did the Dartdrone two day class focusing on field training and prep for the 107 and found it extremely helpful. They did a really good job explaining how to read sectional charts, METAR, NOTAMS, chart supplements as well as thoroughly explaining the different classes of airspace and much more. Dartdrones also gave me 50 page booklet full of useful information and a 6 month window to access their portal to study for the 107 as well as other helpful matterial within the portal. I just passed my 107 yesterday, so I can say I'm a happy customer.

Reactions: BigAl07
1st for those who are claiming 'drones fly themselves' I give you YouTube and the Million or more 1st time drone video crashes. For those of you who want to go professional and "think" you'll just pick up the skills to fly, shoot and edit, and get paid! 'good luck' with that. At some point the FAA will require a flight test, and 'good luck with that' if you have not been professionally trained, (can you fly a straight line for 50 yards only off by 3 feet on either side without using auto pilot)? I've trained 50 beginner pilots this year, None have crashed to this date, all have passed their 107 or have a 333, all are earning an income or supplement income from their Drones. My students include NBC Sports and News Photographers, Real Estate Companies, Movie Studios and International Security Companies. There is more to flying a drone then just flying it, how about the set up, hell most people don't know how to up grade their cell phones. Our use an editing program or even up-date your own drone correctly, seriously just read all the posts here. There are some great drone schools, the poster here should have done more research.
www.uxvuniversity.com

Love this forum so wanted to share this. Its not a rant but I feel strongly about it. I recently paid $500 to DartDrones for a 1 day class on flying basics and info for my P4. They claim "As seen on Shark Tank" and I indeed did see it there. But when I sent them a poor review and copied in Mark Cuban, the investor, he actually responded that they did not make a deal. Yet the company continues to use this as a marketing ploy. The class was taught by a EMT guy from Central Florida and lifetime RC hobbyist. Great. But they provided NO materials, no copies of their charts (overheads), no written materials, and essentially nothing but my own notes. Which were hard to take because this guy spoke so fast and didn't leave the overheads on the screen for very long. I sent a long letter to the company and have heard nothing back. When I asked the onstructor if there were handouts he said there were not "because every instructor uses their own materials." Huh? The overheads were all stock materials. I would NOT recommend anyone spending money on this. Its a complete waste.

I too am disappointed with a lot of responders to this post. Any person stepping into a brand-new subject would be well advised to explore training possibilities. Being a brand-new subject, a newbie might have no knowledge or foresight into what he is going to be faced with. In most people's opinion, Hstarin paid too much for the training he got, but how was he to know just starting out? I applaud him for seeking help to get started. For those of you who shame this person for doing the right thing, I believe you are on very shaky ground. Just because you already started and consider yourselves to be experts and perhaps didn't seek help when you got started, you are the ones I worry about. Ego is a killer. Anyway, this is a fine forum peopled by some very fine folks. There are those whom I believe should run their ego flag down a notch or two. When I asked for help setting up my P4P+, the only comment I got was, "read the manual". Of course I just about had that manual memorized as well as reading everything I could find on various forums and got nowhere. It took some very good people in the business over 4 hours with 3 and 4 geeks at a time to get mine started and then I had to take it back to solve a recurring problem. Not all of us are born with electronics and joysticks in our middle names. Not complaining but a little disappointed.

As seen on Shark Tank doesn't mean they made a deal with a Shark, only that they were featured on the show. Sometimes even if they do appear that they made a deal, the deal can fall through after the pitch was done.
Also, if you need training on how to fly an off the shelf UAV/Drone, then the hobby is not for you. Most drones are idiot proof unless you get into manual mode and racing and tweaking stuff.
Like someone said, if you have a question about a mode/feature, you can easily find the answer on youTube or on forums such as this one, even if you can't find the answer, you're welcome to post it and more often than not, someone already has the same question or someone will help you find the answer.
Live and learn they say...

500 Bucks for ONE DAY!!! Dude what were you thinking! The darn things fly themselves. What a RIPOFF! Hope you can get your money back and they should be embarrassed for what they are doing.
Greedy [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] know no shame.

Sorry to hear that you were taken, defrauded. You might want to consider changing your post title to include the company / offer name so that it's that this conman becomes easily known to all. Should also report him to any industry organizations (I'm new so not sure what if any national orgs exist).

Ok folks this is getting silly.

A) I'm VERY disappointed in some of you almost "attacking" a new member to our forum for expressing an opinion which happens to differ from yours. I dare say some of you might not be on this forum today if others had come at you like you just did this new member DroneGuy555. We are MUCH better than this.... and to you @DroneGuy555 I apologize on behalf of the forum. I hope we treat you better than this moving forward.

B) Some people need (and pay for) structured hands-on training. Believe it or not, not everyone is comfortable learning life from YouTube. Some people learn better in a real life hands-on environment and should not be shamed for doing so. Shame on each and every one of you who jumped on that band wagon.

C) Not every class member will get the same experience from the same instructor. Sometimes it just isn't a good match up and sometimes the instructor is just not up to par on the task at hand. That doesn't make the whole school/course bad (or a scam) and I sincerely hope DartDrones will give the OP a full refund to make things right.

D) I've been an R/C Flight Instructor for decades and still do this every week for HIRE. There is a HUGE difference between "watching YouTube and firing up your UAS" and having a qualified, experienced, and understanding person there live to walk you through training, questions, and emergency scenarios. What we teach in 16 hours would take months to work up to on your own. Just because you charged your battery, hit the LAUNCH button, and hovered your UAS around the neighborhood does not make you a proficient and experienced UAS operator.

Disclosure: While I still teach one-on-one hobby flight most of my current instruction is in the Public Safety aspect of UAS operations.

I sincerely hope that going forward we treat new members better, don't shame members for seeking out structured training, and don't be so quick to jump on the "shaming" bandwagon against our fellow members.

Sincerely,
Allen
Kudos to you sir.

Thanks for all the comments. Its disappointing that when some people have nothing helpful or worthwhile to say, they feel obligated to say it anyway. Guess they like the sound of their own "voice." Last time I post a serious issue on this board.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Thanks for all the comments. Its disappointing that when some people have nothing helpful or worthwhile to say, they feel obligated to say it anyway. Guess they like the sound of their own "voice." Last time I post a serious issue on this board.
Mate, don't give up now, 99% of people on this site are helpful and well mannered, don't let the one percenters put you off. I've learnt so much from this forum, a source of endless knowledge. Experiences like yours need to be aired, it may help the next person avoid the same fate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laar
I have often been disappointed by some responses from the usual suspects. In fact i even made a comment awhile back about these sanctimonious comments detracting a lot of potential members from joining. Dont let the pretentious comments of the few prevent you from posting anything on this site, the number of helpful people here far outweigh the halfwits that feel the need to make snide remarks. Remember, some of the stories about flyaways and incidents might have been prevented from some hands on training like you were rightfully seeking. Good luck with your flying!

This, is a great idea. Advertise for them, negatively, with a photo of the guy and mention in the ad, everything you told us here including their name and address. They won't be in business long. Make sure you tell the truth in the ad so they can't come back on you.

Bud

Man I would put up his picture and your story on every forum there is - regretfully you had good intentions and they took advantage of you.

Its another case of Fake news!

Regards

Last edited:
I don't think you're being very fair here. This gentleman was trying to be a responsible person by going somewhere to learn how to fly his drone properly. What exactly is wrong with that? Nothing, and I think he deserves credit for thinking that way.

It's not his fault that the instructors turned out to be crooks and he lost his money with little to show for it.

I say good for him for trying to be a responsible flyer. I guess we're not all as brilliant as you are.

I don't think you should criticize him for trying to do the right thing.

Bud

As long as there is people willing to so easily part with their money there will always be people who will take it from them. Sorry but it's your own fault and you should've known better. Cmon dude.. You paid $500.00 for a one day course on how to fly a drone??!! And you're complaining about THE GUY doing wrong. No pity here sir.

Last edited:
I undertake drone surveys as part of my main business (construction) the CAA came to my house with bailiffs, I told them to sod off as I know my British Human Rights and the law, I put up a Legal denial of access notice 'no trespassing all callers and they've never been back since and that was 7 months ago.
If you allow fudged laws to be imposed upon you then they will continue to do it knowing your 'sheeple'
Just follow common law backed by the people,...all the rest is just acts,statutes and other [EXPLETIVE REMOVED].
Learn the true meaning of law and be empowered, I used to cower down until I spent 5 years reading the Law.

I realize it's been a while since this thread was started or commented on, so I can't speak for how the company was a year ago, but I did take Dart Drones flight training recently (it was required by my job to take a flight training course) and I was really happy with it! I had flown my drone a few times before, but I became far more aware of safety features, advanced flight modes, and camera settings that I really didn't pay attention to before. I also did get a nice handout for the flight training class. It was a full workbook that I could take notes in. So hopefully they did listen to your feedback and added that in! Personally, while the price is definitely a premium, I thought the value was there given the kind of operations I'll be required to do with the drone (flying really close to buildings/structures and trying to get accurate and detailed footage for construction purposes).

Even if you're not sure about taking the class, I'd recommend reaching out to them, they'll give you a lot of free resources and answer basic questions you might have. That's just my thoughts though, I realize everyone can have a different experience!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor