I thought all of Manhattan was a no fly zone?

Rules are rules.

Here, in Canada, the rules governing the use of drones is being reviewed by the federal government early next year, after there was much criticism of the rules put in place in March of this year.
Everybody understood the ' no drone zone ' surrounding airports and other federally administered areas.
Everybody understood the 150 foot minimum ceiling over buildings,vehicles,people,animals and ships.

Drone operators have asked Transport Canada to take a look at two rules which should be re-visited and, perhaps, adjusted.

These pertain to the 300 foot maximum operating ceiling and no flying after sunset.

I join with many other responsible drone pilots out there who feel the 300 foot maximum ceiling should be adjusted to allow for higher flights.

Also, the 'no flying after dark' rule should also be re-visited to allow for night time flights-while operating within all other rules.

The good news is the federal government is open to discussing some changes to the rules under which drone flights should occur.

Communication between the two sides is a welcome thing.

Does canada have the same little AGL exemption for buildings that we do? Meaning that if you are within 400ft of a building you can be up to 400ft above said building legally.

Does canada have the same little AGL exemption for buildings that we do? Meaning that if you are within 400ft of a building you can be up to 400ft above said building legally.

In the US sort of...
Only when flying under 107, i.e. Commercially

Last edited:
Ah ok be want sure in Ken herons video he brings didn't specifically say you had to have a 107, so i didn't know that

I don’t know, just talking. How can you not fly over people in Manhattan? How could you get permission from everyone you fly over? How far are they from JFK airport and LaGuardia? Maybe even Newark airport? How about hospital heliports and others? Schools? How is it possible to fly legally over Manhattan? With the infrastructure of Manhattan, the U.N, Wall Street and other sensitive organizations how could it be a fly zone?

Wrong link... deleted

Last edited:
There may not be an [FAA] NFZ in the literal sense for all of it, but it's easy to look up the UAS restrictions applicable to New York State, Manhattan, or any other city.

There are several applicable to the subject of this thread.
Manhattan Drone Regulations
That’s for the the Village of Manhattan, IL.
I thought something was wrong when it said you can’t fly over 50 feet. Lol.

I don’t know, just talking. How can you not fly over people in Manhattan? How could you get permission from everyone you fly over? How far are they from JFK airport and LaGuardia? Maybe even Newark airport? How about hospital heliports and others? Schools? How is it possible to fly legally over Manhattan? With the infrastructure of Manhattan, the U.N, Wall Street and other sensitive organizations how could it be a fly zone?

None of those locations make it a NFZ and people don't make it a NFZ.

Reactions: BigAl07
Possible? Just because he did it doesn't mean it's legal.

For the record I'd love to see how many "anonymous" reports that article creates for the FAA. I'd imagine Mr. Humza Deas is about to get to some undesirable attention from the FAA as people see this article and report him.
Who has time to go out of their way to snitch on someone for flying a drone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who has time to go out of their way to snitch on someone for flying a drone?

LOL You'd be thoroughly surprised how many "complaints" are made each and every day for "suspect" illegal UAS operations. I've been on the receiving end of one such complaint so I'm speaking from first hand experience.

By my estimate, I think the pilot is also flying at altitudes of between 1,200 to 1,400 feet (Since the Chrysler building is over a thousand feet tall and he is way above that). Someone mentioned flying over people. Some of the shots are also clearly well after sunset. I think someone else mentioned that it's possible these were beyond LOS.

Yeah
By my estimate, I think the pilot is also flying at altitudes of between 1,200 to 1,400 feet (Since the Chrysler building is over a thousand feet tall and he is way above that). Someone mentioned flying over people. Some of the shots are also clearly well after sunset. I think someone else mentioned that it's possible these were beyond LOS.

Yeah you can legally be that high though if hes only <400ft above the building.

Yeah

Yeah you can legally be that high though if hes only <400ft above the building.

No,
The rule is above ground level.
Unless he is flying with a 107 waiver.
That is not likely as there are only 2 or so waivers for flying over people which this clearly was.

I was in Destin Florida recently, the whole city is a no fly zone thanks to Fort Eglin Air Force base. How ever when I powered on my device I had to enter my phone number and enter a code, I was able to zoom around as high and far as I wanted. I stayed at 7 feet in the back yard recording to the dogs.

LOL You'd be thoroughly surprised how many "complaints" are made each and every day for "suspect" illegal UAS operations. I've been on the receiving end of one such complaint so I'm speaking from first hand experience.
I'll never be surprised to learn how badly people suck.

Absolutely!

One thing you sure don't want to do after you have( or are ) doing something illegal is draw attention to yourself.

Mr. Deas is going to find out pretty quickly what a FAA fine feels like. :(

His actions really underline the problem with drone operators who ignore federal regulations governing drone use.

The good thing is that these people generally operate the same way:

They do illegal things with their drones and then post their 'achievements' on the Internet.

"Hey, look what I did!"

Hopefully, the FAA zeros in on this guy shortly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor