I think I fried my GoPro

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with the H3-2D and a GoPro Hero 3+ mounted. I went with the Kumba Cam combination as a starter FPV and failed to read that it would need more parts or modification to work with the P2. I installed the FPV hub and iosd mini. I spliced the battery wires from the vtx to the brown and red wires on the plug provided with the hub. I spliced the black and white wire from the video out on the vtx to the brown and yellow wires on the plug. Vtx powered on, but no video on the monitor. I reconnected the USB plug that came with the Kumba Cam setup and plugged it directly to the GoPro.

This is where things started to fall apart. The vtx is being powered through the hub and the GoPro is being powered by the gimbal through the hub. When I plugged directly into the GoPro I did get a video feed to the monitor. This stayed on for over a minute and was very clear. I powered everything down from the battery and removed the USB from the camera. Rewired to the FPV hub plug and re-powered everything to see if I could get video through the hub itself hoping that I had somehow hit a magic combination and fixed my problem. No video feed, so I checked to make sure the GoPro was actually on and it was not and hasn't come back on since. It will not charge, or start without the battery. I have tried every single combination the internet has to offer on resetting a GoPro and it is dead.

Could the video leads have fed power back through the USB port and shorted something out? Still waiting to hear from GoPro, but my hopes are fading. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The USB lead you plugged it, this supplies power too yes? Where does it get this power from? It's very possible you've shoved 12V down the USB to the GoPro and killed it.

That's the only possibility I can think of as well. The vtx was connected to the FPV hub and the USB was connected to the vtx. So power out of the battery would have to flow through the hub through the vtx and then back through the USB video feed leads. Not sure if that is possible or at what voltage it would have happened, but the camera did operate for some time and only quit working after I powered everything down. Hopefully I'll hear from GoPro today.

I have a very similar experience. I just purchased the Kumbacam FPV package. When I wired up the transmitter that came with the kit I heard what sounded like a high pitch noise coming from one of the components. After I unplugged everything the gopro started to act funny. When I started to record video the gopro would record up to about 8 secs then pause, then the recording timer would jump 3-6 seconds and the LED would blink erratically. I took the gopro off of the gimbal and it would record fine. Thinking the gimbal was somehow fried I contacted the dealer who I purchased it from and he informed me that they were sending out a part to fix the problem. This was his words from the email he sent me " DJI is aware of an issue with the gimbal and gopro and has issued this fix". When I asked him to elaborate on the part he said a tech was going to contact me. That was this morning. I checked DJI's website looking for the recall notice but could not find anything. I'll update this post again one the part arrives.
I took my p2 into a local DJI Dealer and showed them the problem. They told me the following; " Always power up your GoPro before turning power on through the phantoms battery." They then powered up the gopro, then the phantom and it recorded normally and didn't shutoff.

Couple of points
1. The gopro hero 3 will not turn on if the battery is removed even if it's plugged into the gimbal or another power source. I read that on a gopro forum.
2. Contact whoever you purchased your gimbal from and ask them to send this magical replacement part out to you since DJI was aware of the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl