I crashed.. not sure why.

Reaction score
Just the facts..
Adjusted screen brightness on my iPhone Max
Turned on controller (one antenna type)
Left toggle (S-2) in center mode, Right toggle (S-1) in top position I "thought" that was the GPS mode. (P Mode)
Turned on Aircraft battery
Went to Wi-Fi, logged into Phantomxxxx
Went to DJI Go, set RTH
Set Max Flight Altitude to 50
Set RTH to 50

You know what... even as I walk thru these steps on DJI GO, the app is not saving my Max Flight Altitude, or my RTH Altitude. When I hit "Done," it reverts to "0". Is that because the drone isn't turned on??? Possibly, so I'll keep rambling..

I confirm I am in "Mode 2" - which I thought was the safest (Left toggle in the middle, Right toggle at 12 o'clock")
I confirm I am 100% charged on controller, battery and phone.

Tonite I was going to just continue practicing the toggle switches, in the backyard and possibly catch a minuscule part of a sunset by just going up.. Wrong.

The AC lifted off the ground about 2-3 feet and instead of going up, instead it went Left and slammed hard into the pool fence and landed upside down acting like a weed whacker. ( I MAY have initiated RTH while running towards it. )

So now I've got it upright in my hand. Tried to turn it off by pushing the Left toggle all the way to 6:00 o'clock. Nope, that did not shut it off... I may have instructed to it - RTH in my panic. ok.

I shut off the controller, that didn't work right away to stop the propellers. I was just about to try to get to the AC battery, when the props slowed down and I was able to turn the battery off. Still not sure what made that happen..

Damage Assessment:
One half of one propeller broken. That's all I can report at this time. I'm really happy it didn't land in the pool (thank you fence). And I will give kudos the the leg extenders that protected the camera.. I had just received my gimbal guard the other day, but took it off today because it needs to be modified a little bit. I'm praying the camera is ok.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

I have replacement props, do they pop off or screw off? Thanks. New day tomorrow!

EDITED TO ADD: "86" the replacement prop question.. figured it out. Thank you tho.

Last edited:
You know what... even as I walk thru these steps on DJI GO, the app is not saving my Max Flight Altitude, or my RTH Altitude. When I hit "Done," it reverts to "0". Is that because the drone isn't turned on???
You guessed correctly.
The settings that are saved in the drone require the drone to be connected to save them.
The AC lifted off the ground about 2-3 feet and instead of going up, instead it went Left and slammed hard into the pool fence and landed upside down acting like a weed whacker.)
That sounds like what happens when you launch from somewhere where the earth's normal magnetic field is distorted by something steel.
What can you say about your launch spot?
Would it have perhaps been reinforced concrete?

To check the recorded flight data and see what it says,
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
So now I've got it upright in my hand. Tried to turn it off by pushing the Left toggle all the way to 6:00 o'clock. Nope, that did not shut it off...
Maybe it wouldn't shut down because you weren't able to hold it steady in the upright position? - Or maybe it was just going crazy.

Just the facts..
Adjusted screen brightness on my iPhone Max
Turned on controller (one antenna type)
Left toggle (S-2) in center mode, Right toggle (S-1) in top position I "thought" that was the GPS mode. (P Mode)
Turned on Aircraft battery
Went to Wi-Fi, logged into Phantomxxxx
Went to DJI Go, set RTH
Set Max Flight Altitude to 50
Set RTH to 50

You know what... even as I walk thru these steps on DJI GO, the app is not saving my Max Flight Altitude, or my RTH Altitude. When I hit "Done," it reverts to "0". Is that because the drone isn't turned on??? Possibly, so I'll keep rambling..

I confirm I am in "Mode 2" - which I thought was the safest (Left toggle in the middle, Right toggle at 12 o'clock")
I confirm I am 100% charged on controller, battery and phone.

Tonite I was going to just continue practicing the toggle switches, in the backyard and possibly catch a minuscule part of a sunset by just going up.. Wrong.

The AC lifted off the ground about 2-3 feet and instead of going up, instead it went Left and slammed hard into the pool fence and landed upside down acting like a weed whacker. ( I MAY have initiated RTH while running towards it. )

So now I've got it upright in my hand. Tried to turn it off by pushing the Left toggle all the way to 6:00 o'clock. Nope, that did not shut it off... I may have instructed to it - RTH in my panic. ok.

I shut off the controller, that didn't work right away to stop the propellers. I was just about to try to get to the AC battery, when the props slowed down and I was able to turn the battery off. Still not sure what made that happen..

Damage Assessment:
One half of one propeller broken. That's all I can report at this time. I'm really happy it didn't land in the pool (thank you fence). And I will give kudos the the leg extenders that protected the camera.. I had just received my gimbal guard the other day, but took it off today because it needs to be modified a little bit. I'm praying the camera is ok.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

I have replacement props, do they pop off or screw off? Thanks. New day tomorrow!

EDITED TO ADD: "86" the replacement prop question.. figured it out. Thank you tho.
Oh my gosh,glad no fingers lost,ok I presume this was the p3se ,worst thing to do is panic,that when things go wrong very fast,,,next flight get in hover and hold legs with left stick down,,it won't turn off straight away cause it off ground but does shut down after a bit,,when all on again check that imu do sent need calibration,does a self Check,yes remember it not a splash drone so avoid the pool,,as above upload your flight and someone clever say what happen..also don't let it bother you to much,get back on that horse and fly,,take care

Well, I would upload the logs when you can. I'm guessing maybe this your first drone?

The drone has to be on but not in flight to update the RTH and ceiling height.Is it in beginner mode ? The props screw off the black dotted ones are left handed Make sure when you put them on they go on the correct motors silver on silver black on black . Before take off have a quick look around at things that are obstacles and raise the drone above them a good 10 or 15 ft (ie The pool fence) Take off from the grass area not concrete as it sounds like the compass had a freak out. Left stick down turns if off after it’s landed (on it’s feet ) When it’s doing it’s dead and dance upside down turn the battery off you can also do the duel stick mode shut down but the big button is easier ?Until you are a competent flyer I’d suggest you fly from a park or a wide open paddock. Hope you can get it up soon. Up load the files as suggested above. The people on here will soon tell you exactly what’s gone wrong

Thanks everyone... OK, had an early class... but I'm back. I have a converter for USB to lightning, am trying that, before I run over to Best Buy.

BRB.

I launched between that little tree out back and the pool fence, closer to the tree. I stayed away from the shop and the concrete. If you can zoom in the concrete stops about 14' out from the barn. There was crushed stones added to give room for the RV to swing out, so that's is not all concrete. Also, there are 68 solar panels on the backside of the barn and the top of the RV cover.. I know there are better pics... , but this gives you an idea.

You guessed correctly.
The settings that are saved in the drone require the drone to be connected to save them.

That sounds like what happens when you launch from somewhere where the earth's normal magnetic field is distorted by something steel.
What can you say about your launch spot?
Would it have perhaps been reinforced concrete?

To check the recorded flight data and see what it says,
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Maybe it wouldn't shut down because you weren't able to hold it steady in the upright position? - Or maybe it was just going crazy.

I promise you, I would have held it till the battery died. LOL! It landed upside down, so it was easy to grab. Other times I have used the hand catch before, when the grass was too tall.. Mostly because I didn't want to land near the concrete or barn. (pic below.)

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Here is the link to what happened (hope it works..) . It doesn't show the shop of the pool.. I'll find a pic of that. DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

That was ugly. You had a GPS position fix and were in P-GPS mode at launch. There was no compass problem at takeoff, and yaw was correctly initialized. The initial left movement that caused it to hit the fence at 5.8 seconds occurred because you applied left aileron for 1.6 seconds at 3.7 seconds. All the other issues in the log file are after the collision with the fence. That appears to have been entirely pilot error.

Oh my gosh,glad no fingers lost,ok I presume this was the p3se ,worst thing to do is panic,that when things go wrong very fast,,,next flight get in hover and hold legs with left stick down,,it won't turn off straight away cause it off ground but does shut down after a bit,,when all on again check that imu do sent need calibration,does a self Check,yes remember it not a splash drone so avoid the pool,,as above upload your flight and someone clever say what happen..also don't let it bother you to much,get back on that horse and fly,,take care

Thanks IZ. I'll be at it again soon. Changed the props last night, but didn't turn it on, the check the camera. Will do later today. My control stickers arrived yesterday, but I didn't get them until today. That wouldn't have helped yesterday. I messed up.

That was ugly. You had a GPS position fix and were in P-GPS mode at launch. There was no compass problem at takeoff, and yaw was correctly initialized. The initial left movement that caused it to hit the fence at 5.8 seconds occurred because you applied left aileron for 1.6 seconds at 3.7 seconds. All the other issues in the log file are after the collision with the fence. That appears to have been entirely pilot error.

View attachment 110445

Thanks for taking a look Sar. My plan was to sit out there and get used to the toggle switches until the battery did an "automatic" RTH (to see if I had that set correctly.) I'm not sure what "left aileron" is, but I'm guessing it was the left toggle..? I would have pushed that up (to 12:00 o'clock) which I thought was correct. Does this show I did something else?

Siri says Aileron means the little wing on the wing that would make it "roll" or "bank". I'm guessing this report shows I pushed the toggle to 9 or 10 o'clock? It's possible, but I have to ask.. could this same scenario have happened due to an out of balance prop, or a damaged prop? I bought this SE used and the props looked ok to me. The new ones I installed late last night are much smoother.

I'm sure how to set "yaw", but I'm glad that worked, at least.

I have flown (in the yard) maybe 6 times before winter arrived. I'll stick to it and get this down. I really appreciate your analysis. Thank you!

View attachment 110441

I launched between that little tree out back and the pool fence, closer to the tree. I stayed away from the shop and the concrete. If you can zoom in the concrete stops about 14' out from the barn. There was crushed stones added to give room for the RV to swing out, so that's is not all concrete. Also, there are 68 solar panels on the backside of the barn and the top of the RV cover.. I know there are better pics... , but this gives you an idea.
Who took this pic for you? Do you have another drone that you fly?

Who took this pic for you? Do you have another drone that you fly?

My son took that pic last summer. He has the Phantom 4 Pro model. He did a great job. I got jealous and bought a used P3-SE to learn on. I can drive a farm tractor, a motorcycle, a boat, a 32' motor home.. I can dang sure figure this out! I may go thru a few parts here and there tho.. Right? :tearsofjoy: .

Thanks for taking a look Sar. My plan was to sit out there and get used to the toggle switches until the battery did an "automatic" RTH (to see if I had that set correctly.) I'm not sure what "left aileron" is, but I'm guessing it was the left toggle..? I would have pushed that up (to 12:00 o'clock) which I thought was correct. Does this show I did something else?

Siri says Aileron means the little wing on the wing that would make it "roll" or "bank". I'm guessing this report shows I pushed the toggle to 9 or 10 o'clock? It's possible, but I have to ask.. could this same scenario have happened due to an out of balance prop, or a damaged prop? I bought this SE used and the props looked ok to me. The new ones I installed late last night are much smoother.

I'm sure how to set "yaw", but I'm glad that worked, at least.

I have flown (in the yard) maybe 6 times before winter arrived. I'll stick to it and get this down. I really appreciate your analysis. Thank you!

Sorry - aileron is left-right movement on the right stick (in mode 2). It makes it move sideways.

Reactions: Rodee34

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl