I bricked my p3s with ftp range mod - let's fix it together

So not sure who this might help but I found that you can indeed force a downgrade on the Bird's firmware. Maybe this might help someone with a bricked bird.

Put FW 1.5 on your SD card, Press and hold the Sync button before turning the bird on. Turn the Bird on while still holding the Sync button for at least 10 seconds. You will here the usual FW upgrade beeps and the gimbal light will flash Red/Green. After about 10-15 mins, upgrade/downgrade will be completed and the gimbals light will stay Green and you will get a different beeping telling you that it has finished. Look at the contents of the SD card for proof.

(After 1.6.8 update) Phantom 3S Weak RC signal problem SOLVED!!!

Post #23 is where I did it.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:14 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3C_FW_V01.05.0070.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160628-194732.png
    Screenshot_20160628-194732.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 444
Reactions: henick
I have managed to save my P3S, but couldn't my RC. At least I had spare Controller here. Thanks everyone.. If anyone come up solutions to get my control out of the rcS loop let me know..

I have managed to save my P3S, but couldn't my RC. At least I had spare Controller here. Thanks everyone.. If anyone come up solutions to get my control out of the rcS loop let me know..

I just solved your case.
At the setenv command in the sequence, replace "init=/sbin/init" with "init=/bin/sh",
then run bootm sequence.

By replacing init runner, you can just skip that f'kin loop and get the prompt immediately.

By default, the file system is mounted as read-only, so run "mount -o remount +w /" then you can modify files at your need.

Run vi or chmod to fix the error. /sbin/djiled.sh or /etc/init.d/rcS is the main culprit of bricking.

Once opened those file, you may see bunch of ^M ... Clear them with vi.

Then run "reboot" to save your modification and reboot.

*** You have to reboot when you want to save the modification on the files.
Only cycling power reverts your modification. Try to reboot programatically.

Wish good luck to your recovery. If you're used to linux environment, the process will be easy.

* This is what I got in the boot process. /etc/init.d/rcS is corrupted by Dos line ending, especially the first line (#!/bin/sh^M)

2016-07-04_23-49-52.jpg

* In the notepad, first line is setenv code with the runner replaced by /bin/sh
You can see putty that successfully skipped the init loop error, fixing rcS.

2016-07-04_23-37-24.jpg

Last edited:
Just in case people here are linux newbies...

Code:
cd /tmp/flash/ && rm -rf ./etc/init.d/rcS && cp -r /etc/init.d/rcS ./etc/init.d/ && chmod +x ./etc/init.d/rcS

Do I understand correctly that this command will copy the RCS file from a backup copy ? I am an absolute newbie in this field but I have successfully done work as described in the first post , but then I do not know what to do , how to edit the file or copy it .
I also want to add that the successful work carried out on the drone , but putty unfortunately does not see RC , possible RX DX badly soldered , but the most important thing is that we managed to do everything on the drone.

I would be grateful if I can assist. After the work done from the first post is it true I can go through the FileZilla? Do I really need to start it but then what address should I specify it to get through the wire to the desired directory? I apologize for the noob questions.

Last edited:
Can someone have detail tutor to fix lost wifi after mod signal. I dollow the tutor but now i cannot see the acces point from p3 4k. Bit from controller to drome still connect

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

1. open your putty window,
means choose com port and speed press ok (uart has to be disconnected)
2. Conect your Uart(already soldered to a drone, or remote) to the USB
3. 'switch on' remote controller or a Drone
4. immediately press escape.
5. Fallow the instruction (1st post)

(cp2102 will work rx, tx, gnd, just them three need to be connected)
Tom can u send pinc where to solder on p3 4k. For rc and drome.

Thanks

Do I understand correctly that this command will copy the RCS file from a backup copy ? I am an absolute newbie in this field but I have successfully done work as described in the first post , but then I do not know what to do , how to edit the file or copy it .
I also want to add that the successful work carried out on the drone , but putty unfortunately does not see RC , possible RX DX badly soldered , but the most important thing is that we managed to do everything on the drone.

I would be grateful if I can assist. After the work done from the first post is it true I can go through the FileZilla? Do I really need to start it but then what address should I specify it to get through the wire to the desired directory? I apologize for the noob questions.

Yes, it will restore the original rcS file. If your soldering is a little dodgy (mine is too, don't worry!) then do your best to get two of the three cables attached and just hold the third in place. A little dodgy perhaps, but provided you've got a steady hand it won't be too bad.
When you're in, I recommend using vim (unfortunately nano isn't installed) to edit the rcS file, else use the command that you quoted to restore the old version.

If you've any more questions, feel free to ask! I'm around most of this week to help if anyone else is in the same boat.

Can someone have detail tutor to fix lost wifi after mod signal. I dollow the tutor but now i cannot see the acces point from p3 4k. Bit from controller to drome still connect

Send me a P34K and I'll write one for you ;-)

In all cerealnessness, the 4K is a little different and will require a different set of soldering instructions. I don't have one myself, but I will look into this for you! :)

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and really appreciate your efforts to help unbrick our beloved drones.

I did the fcc hack on my the remote for my p3s using filezilla on ubuntu and it killed the wifi access. I have followed the unbricking instructions and opened the remote, removed the wifi board and connected GND, TX0 and RX0 through an Arduino as per the instructions, see the attached image.

When the wifi board is re-attached and the remote switched on there is no serial data (have tried swapping tx/rx, and re-attaching everything several times). Have I missed a step?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160710_161150.jpg
    20160710_161150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 393
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and really appreciate your efforts to help unbrick our beloved drones.

I did the fcc hack on my the remote for my p3s using filezilla on ubuntu and it killed the wifi access. I have followed the unbricking instructions and opened the remote, removed the wifi board and connected GND, TX0 and RX0 through an Arduino as per the instructions, see the attached image.

When the wifi board is re-attached and the remote switched on there is no serial data (have tried swapping tx/rx, and re-attaching everything several times). Have I missed a step?

Thanks

Your soldering looks neat and assuming you've connected it to the Arduino correctly, I can't see an issue.

A couple of troubleshooting steps/questions:
  • Have you shorted RESET and GND on the Arduino with a jumper cable?
  • Have you tried using a different computer/terminal console? I love linux/BSD and all of the loveliness of the screen command, but I know for many PuTTY was the only thing that worked for them. Not sure if this is an issue with character encoding or anything, but if you can get your hands on a Windoze PC, then give that a go.
We just need to work out whether it's the computer, the arduino, the soldering or the board. Rest assured if you've only edited your file using filezilla and haven't shorted anything on the wifi board we'll get this bird flying again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for looking into this Jack.
I have shorted reset and gnd on the arduino and tried in windows (putty) and linux (screen). If I connect the Arduino to gnd/tx/rx on the main board (under the wifi) i get serial data (or at least weird characters), so the connection to arduino/computer is probably ok. It feels like I am missing a step, is there anything that needs to be done on the RC, apart from re-attaching the wifi board and switching on the RC?

The bird flies, but not very far as I don't have video :|

Thanks for looking into this Jack.
I have shorted reset and gnd on the arduino and tried in windows (putty) and linux (screen). If I connect the Arduino to gnd/tx/rx on the main board (under the wifi) i get serial data (or at least weird characters), so the connection to arduino/computer is probably ok. It feels like I am missing a step, is there anything that needs to be done on the RC, apart from re-attaching the wifi board and switching on the RC?

The bird flies, but not very far as I don't have video :|
It sounds like you're doing everything right... May I ask, are you in the UK?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka