How widespread is the green and purple line problem?

Reaction score
I thought I had finally made up my mind to go with the Phantom 4 over the Typhoon H after weeks of pulling my hair out over which one to get. I had planned on buying an ipad mini 4 for my view screen. I then see the threads on people reporting video problems with these horizontal lines. Some show up on the videos, some don't. Needless to say this is a deal killer. It seems to be pretty widespread because in many of the threads I'm seeing "yea, it happens to me too". As far as I can tell no one can pin down the cause or a fix. Thanks..

j

I've never had that problem, but I have another problem that's unique that only a couple have. To put you at ease, buy your P4 at an Apple store. That seems to be the hot ticket for easy exchanges if something is wrong.

Here's the problems I see with the TH.
1. It won't fit in a backpack small enough for carry on an airline (pretty sure).
2. Setup takes longer than P4
3. Although it does 40mph in follow me, I think it only does 22mph in GPS mode. P4 is 40+, but I prefer the P3 mode (P mode with OA off) that does 33mph. You get less prop in the view.
4. Distance. The TH can only go about 1000m stock. With aftermarket antenna I would expect that to push out to a mile, but P4 can go over 2mi because of Lightbridge. Yuneec uses plain old Wifi.
5. Battery could be an issue with a craft that size.
6. 7" Limit on display size, it's fixed in the RC.
7. Too big to use indoors, kinda like the Inspire size. Not sure if it offers prop guards for indoor shoots.
8. The compass calibration process is funky, (I'm refering to Q500+ Typhoon, I assume it's the same process) compared to DJI's simple calibration dance.

OA is over rated. I rarely use it or needed it. I would only use it when getting up close to a statue or lighthouse, etc. Both craft have it, but it's not important to me.

I am impressed with Yuneec's customer service. I owned a Q500+ last year and had two problems with it when new. They were extremely quick, and used "advanced replacement" process for the camera/gimbal assembly to resolve my DOA situation. I called my dealer on Monday, Yuneec called me that afternoon to talk it over. I had a new camera/gimbal on Thursday via UPS. I shipped the DOA unit back to Yuneec in the same box with the enclosed prepaid shipping label on Friday. DJI has a long way to go for that kind of support.

Last edited:
I thought I had finally made up my mind to go with the Phantom 4 over the Typhoon H after weeks of pulling my hair out over which one to get. I had planned on buying an ipad mini 4 for my view screen. I then see the threads on people reporting video problems with these horizontal lines. Some show up on the videos, some don't. Needless to say this is a deal killer. It seems to be pretty widespread because in many of the threads I'm seeing "yea, it happens to me too". As far as I can tell no one can pin down the cause or a fix. Thanks..

j
I've noticed using the iPhone 5s that half the video goes solid green sometimes and then recovers. It's like th phone camera can;t keep up with 4K or something . . never happens with the Mini4. Otherwise P4 exceeds all expectations after 20hrs flight time and another 10-12 with the simulation. Wish the sim had a camera view. It would be a lot more useful . . I told dji and they said "someday maybe"

When I used an iPad Mini 2 last year on hot days higher than 90F I would get video breakup with some green lines, now that I think about it. I had to cool it down between flights to keep it working. It's been a while since last summer, I had forgotten about that. I bought an iPad Air2 in December. Although it's a bigger display, it runs cooler due to the new processor that's more efficient, which is the same architecture as the Mini 4. I don't expect this problem when summer arrives this year (based on input from others).

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to push this thread to the top once, I don't mean to be a pain but I'd like more input before I drop over $2000.00.

I suspect the distorted video may be related to tablet processing power. I had a Galaxy Tab A and had the problems. Switched to a Shield K1 and no issues. My wife's iPad Pro has no issues either.

I have a samsung tab 4 used on the rc and a older dell laptop and they can't handle 4k. Pink and purple lines all the time. When I take the card out of the bird and check on my computer at work that can handle 4k the image real real good with no line or break up's at all. The camera on the bird is much better than my viewing equipment, so for now I shoot in 1080p and the image is good. (for now)

I have a samsung tab 4 used on the rc and a older dell laptop and they can't handle 4k. Pink and purple lines all the time. When I take the card out of the bird and check on my computer at work that can handle 4k the image real real good with no line or break up's at all. The camera on the bird is much better than my viewing equipment, so for now I shoot in 1080p and the image is good. (for now)

The video stream to the tablet is only 720p

Tab 4 still goes wacky anything over 1080p. If feed is 720 the rc still receives the 4K. Could the tab be getting some type of RF that affects it?

Tab 4 still goes wacky anything over 1080p. If feed is 720 the rc still receives the 4K. Could the tab be getting some type of RF that affects it?

Android's have a lot of OS overhead. There was a thread posted a while back regarding thinning the OS. Essentially you disable every app that it allows you to and disable auto updates in Google Play. I did this to my Tab A and it did help some.

I'm trimmed to the max. Your right about androids being top heavy, I also see that my data usage it way way up because of Dji Go. After loading the maps I will shut off hotspot on my phone and turn off wifi on my tablet and try higher setting on my videos.

I'm trimmed to the max. Your right about androids being top heavy, I also see that my data usage it way way up because of Dji Go. After loading the maps I will shut off hotspot on my phone and turn off wifi on my tablet and try higher setting on my videos.

Yeah there's really no need for any of that to be on once you've fired up the propellers. Kick the the stream down to 4 as well (default is 6). That may help too.

Reactions: Javier Ruiz O
I'm not entirely sure what this green lines issue is with the P4 - but I do know that with my P4 when I first use my iPad Mini (2) to control my phantom I got lots of video breakup and green areas in the vide (on the iPad). Since switching to my iPhone 6 it has been perfect with no problems at all (same P4). I assume it's simply an issue where the iPad mini 2 is just not powerful enough to keep up - and could be the same for other people with lower powered phone and tablet devices.

My P4 ( only 20hrs flying) does have a problem with the iPhone5s . . bottom half of the screen goes solid GREEN for several seconds intermittently throughout the flight . . but not every flight . . new Mini4 iPad has no issues. I think it must have something to do with processing 4K files . . I only see it on the camera view but not necessarily during filming . . just while the camera is ON.

I'd planned on a 64gig iPad mini 4. Shouldn't it be powerful enough? Thanks.

I have read a lot of good feedback with those. Almost went that route myself but didn't want to spend the extra for a cellular/GPS model.

I'm not entirely sure what this green lines issue is with the P4 - but I do know that with my P4 when I first use my iPad Mini (2) to control my phantom I got lots of video breakup and green areas in the vide (on the iPad). Since switching to my iPhone 6 it has been perfect with no problems at all (same P4). I assume it's simply an issue where the iPad mini 2 is just not powerful enough to keep up - and could be the same for other people with lower powered phone and tablet devices.
I had the purple and pink lines on my note 4. I bought a nvida k1 and the lines came up on that too, so I returned. I used my kids mini 2 and no problems what so ever. My problems were on the androids. Which makes no sense. I have spoken to several members here thst have the K1 and they all say they haven't experience this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl