How to set camera pointing to center subject in 360 fly

AAC

Reaction score
Over this weekend, I'm planning to visit a barn and hoping to take aerial video but no idea how to set the camera full time pointing to the barn in a 360 degree fly.
I guess GPS waypoints fly won't make it because under GPS mode the camera only flips up and down but unable to take video on both sides. I want to set camera pointing to the center in the circle fly. Atti mode under FPV is the only option ? But gale may blast it away or hard to control.
Any advice ?

There is no easy way to do this with a Vision+. Get a TALI H500. Or write to DJI and tell them you'd like this feature in the next software upgrade.

Gentle on the sticks and learn to fly like a boss!

DJI has this available in the wookong M, but not available in the Naza.

I have a WKM and thinking about installing it into a phantom, but mounting the IMU is a pita.

I might build an F450 for this function and sell one of my phantoms. So many decisions.

Channel70Productions said:
Will ground station allow enough waypoints to fly a circle?
yup, it will fly in circles.
But GS dont Yaw to capture POI.

It's not that difficult, and a good thing to practice with your last bit of battery.
Gentle sideways with the right stick and even gentler synchronised yaw on the left stick.
Circling around is a bit dizzying in a video and sometimes you are better just doing a short arc, or fly straight past with a slow yaw to keep the subject central - easier in course lock.

I usually do gentle left or right with S2 and forward with S1.

It is not too hard to do. Just takes some practice to be smooth. Right stick right and left stick left will get you CCW orbit and right stick left and left stick right will get you CW orbit. Just be gentle with the sticks and after some practice you will have nice turns about a point. Drone pilots call it Point of Interest (POI) flying.

Point of interest or POI only works with Wookong M. It is really slick I will admit. Some people see it as a gimmick, but I like gimmicks so I think its cool!

Fly over POI, set POI with switch combination. Pull back a bit to get away from subject and hit the right or left direction and watch her circle.

AAC said:
Over this weekend, I'm planning to visit a barn and hoping to take aerial video but no idea how to set the camera full time pointing to the barn in a 360 degree fly.
I guess GPS waypoints fly won't make it because under GPS mode the camera only flips up and down but unable to take video on both sides. I want to set camera pointing to the center in the circle fly. Atti mode under FPV is the only option ? But gale may blast it away or hard to control.
Any advice ?
WATCH THIS... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9t...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1577434411 WORKS GREAT

AllanVB said:
AAC said:
Any advice ?
WATCH THIS... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9t...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1577434411 WORKS GREAT

actually, this is a better link... using home lock, you can cause the drone to circle yourself while always keeping the camera pointed at you... by only pushing left or right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYVyRVGE-8

and if you want to rotate around another object, not yourself... you can reset the home point as shown in the video and do the same thing... but remember that will become your new 'return to home' point as well.

RedBaron said:
I usually do gentle left or right with S2 and forward with S1.

Thats a new one.
New app i suppose ?

race3 said:
AllanVB said:
AAC said:
Any advice ?

actually, this is a better link... using home lock, you can cause the drone to circle yourself while always keeping the camera pointed at you... by only pushing left or right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYVyRVGE-8

and if you want to rotate around another object, not yourself... you can reset the home point as shown in the video and do the same thing... but remember that will become your new 'return to home' point as well.

I really had no idea this is how home lock worked. If one can really fly the yaw rotation like a boss, you can really mimic the wookong M POI feature. I am going to practice now. The other thing I didn't realize was phantom mode vs naza mode. I have a background of F450/550 with only naza mode. Had no idea phantom mode was so limiting.

I am going to practice this in the AM, but if this is true, you should be able to set a new "IN AIR" home point over the subject (say a single tree) and then fly out and enable home lock and do a full perfect circle around and around the tree all the while using a little input to keep the camera pointed right at the center of your home lock point. The only problem I see is that if you get too low (behind the subject) while you are circling, then you will lose control signal and most likely activate RTH failsafe. But if you set your new homepoint at least as high as the tree, then it should climb to that altitude plus 20 meters then fly to home point. And control signal should be reconnected before the bird reaches the home point. Is my thinking correct guys???

bryanchewy said:
I am going to practice this in the AM, but if this is true, you should be able to set a new "IN AIR" home point over the subject (say a single tree) and then fly out and enable home lock and do a full perfect circle around and around the tree all the while using a little input to keep the camera pointed right at the center of your home lock point. The only problem I see is that if you get too low (behind the subject) while you are circling, then you will lose control signal and most likely activate RTH failsafe. But if you set your new homepoint at least as high as the tree, then it should climb to that altitude plus 20 meters then fly to home point. And control signal should be reconnected before the bird reaches the home point. Is my thinking correct guys???

Thats a tough one to answer. Even if you set a new home point, you will still need to fly out 20m from that home point. Is that enough distance to give you a signal regardless of the object as long as you are high enough. I have flown behind say trees with no problem. Its the heavy buildings and bronze statues you need to worry about.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it in an open field with a target (frisbee, hat anything really) in the centre of the field, that way you don't have to worry about obstructions to prove your theory.

quality control said:
bryanchewy said:

Thats a tough one to answer. Even if you set a new home point, you will still need to fly out 20m from that home point. Is that enough distance to give you a signal regardless of the object as long as you are high enough. I have flown behind say trees with no problem. Its the heavy buildings and bronze statues you need to worry about.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it in an open field with a target (frisbee, hat anything really) in the centre of the field, that way you don't have to worry about obstructions to prove your theory.

I thought the minimum was 10m from home point and then you could use home lock? Is it actually 20m as you wrote?

My way to do 360 with GS is to set way points pattern in GS test fly first than take control with radio ,by watching iPad screen ( you can see red triangle pretty good ) , keep pointing tip (front of the photon) toward the object . But even for this manoeuvre ,some steering experience is needed.

Can you really use Ground Station to operate the Phantom 2 vision +? I tried to connect to it and I had no luck. Did i miss something there??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl