How to satisfy public safety concern ?

AAC

Reaction score
I was stopped flying PV2+ over a lake where no building was there. The guard asked for the insurance document which I didn't have of course.
Whenever I test flying over harbour, soccer field or neighbourhood park in non busy hours, people kept asking me questions if I need insurance cover to protect 3rd party properties damaged or bodies injured by the drone. I agree that flying PV2+ is like riding bicycle, accident will happen doesn't matter how skilful I am. Unless I give up this toy, otherwise, how can I satisfy public's safety concern ? People may panic when something they don't know flying over their heads or properties. Any lawsuit cases reported because of flying PV2+ ?

AAC said:
I was stopped flying PV2+ over a lake where no building was there. The guard asked for the insurance document which I didn't have of course.
A lake guard? What type of "guard" are you talking about?

If you are flying on private property, and if the owner prohibits it, you must stop. No questions, no excuses, you're done.

If you are flying on public property, and if you are confronted by someone under color of law - a police officer, a sheriff's deputy, a wildlife officer, etc. - who asks for an insurance document, I would ask them to cite the rule, regulation or statute which requires the same. Different jurisdictions may have different requirements for model aircraft, but it is just as likely that some uniformed lackey will try to BS you into believing that you need documentation which you do not.

People thinking that cops are going to cite you laws are the same sort that end up arrested in jail after they mouth off on a traffic stop asking for laws and explaining the Constitution to the cop. :lol:

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Instead of acting like a know-it-all RC geek, it's time to step back and think about social dynamics and how you can diffuse the situation instead of making it worse. And no, sometimes it will not work no matter what you do. Fact of the matter is that it's a lot more to fly than watching other people buzz around you as you try to sunbathe/whatever.

witold said:
People thinking that cops are going to cite you laws are the same sort that end up arrested in jail after they mouth off on a traffic stop asking for laws and explaining the Constitution to the cop. :lol:

Instead of acting like a know-it-all RC geek, it's time to step back and think about social dynamics and how you can diffuse the situation instead of making it worse. And no, sometimes it will not work no matter what you do. Fact of the matter is that it's a lot more to fly than watching other people buzz around you as you try to sunbathe/whatever.

I have to agree here.

The guy that lives next door to me hates me flying it in my yard. He says its the noise he does not like, but I know it's his pot plants in his back yard he does not want me to see. Funny thing, I know he has been growing and selling for 30 plus years now.. :eek:

I will admit it makes me a little nervous owning two phantoms. I might sell one in the chance that things get squirrelly. I can always fly one up north on the lakes where officials don't really frequent but forget about flying in the city parks. That will become a rarity.

witold said:

FWIW, I explain the law and the constitution to police officers all the time; it's my job. I also know that police officers will engage in "social engineering" by implying that certain acts are unlawful, when such acts are nothing more than annoying. And sometimes police officers become quite nervous about a lawsuit when they learn that no charges will be forthcoming as a follow-up to their "social engineering."

I'm not suggesting that anyone "mouth off" to the cops because that, alone, may form the basis for a criminal charge. I am suggesting that people learn the law of their jurisdiction as it relates to model aircraft, and if there are no mandatory insurance requirements or other impediments to flying in a public place, they should ask about the basis for the alleged prohibition.

I should also note that I am a gun rights advocate, and I have seen numerous instances of police officers challenging the lawful carry of firearms. I'm beginning to see all the same issues arise with UAVs.

AAC said:
Whenever I test flying over harbour, soccer field or neighbourhood park in non busy hours, people kept asking me questions if I need insurance cover to protect 3rd party properties damaged or bodies injured by the drone. I agree that flying PV2+ is like riding bicycle, accident will happen doesn't matter how skilful I am. Unless I give up this toy, otherwise, how can I satisfy public's safety concern ? People may panic when something they don't know flying over their heads or properties. Any lawsuit cases reported because of flying PV2+ ?
I would assume that this was a rent-a-cop and he really had no idea of what he was dealing with, but instead just trying to intimidate.

I was flying on a federal wildlife research preserve one time (this was before the NPS issued their "cease and desist" park administrator memo), and the driver of a tour shuttle which happened by asked me if I was doing research. I was wearing my NASA badge and she probably really thought I was working (at lunchtime no less). I answered no and that I was just practicing. that seemed to satisfy her, but afterwards I was wondering if she meant to try and stop my activity. For all I know she was interested in me giving a lecture to her tour participants.

It could be your "guard" just wanted to know if you needed insurance to do what you were doing.

How did he go about "stopping you" anyway?

IMHO, always be polite and educate, never argue.

Last week I needed to shoot some video of a newly opened traffic roundabout and the best vantage/launch point was a dead-end road that used to connect a group of condominiums to the road with the roundabout. I figured I'd need 15-minutes and I'd be on my way, so I brought a friend, Mary, and asked her to make pleasant small talk with anyone who came to investigate so I wouldn't be distracted.

Sure enough, 5-minutes in the air and the unofficial condo 'mayor' comes over and starts asking questions. She explains that we are making video of the road and invites him over to look at the iPad Mini screen, comes over and has a look and he is really impressed with the capabilities of the DJI and ask me if I can shoot photos too. I say sure can and he ask if I can shoot an aerial photo of all 31 condo units. I tell him I'd be happy to and ask him to give his cell and email information to Mary. They step aside, I finish my project, power down the DJI and walk over and introduce myself. The three of us chat a bit and it's all handshakes and smiles and he tells me we are welcome anytime we want to shoot more. I emailed the photo to him and I have his cell number so I can call if I ever need to go back to that spot or have him vouch for me to another property owner/resident anywhere else in town.

A smile and a calm demeanor will go a long way (a pretty assistant doesn't hurt either).

Why not join AMA and be a card carrying Member along with being covered by their insurance? As long as you follow their guidelines, you would be covered for $2.5M in Liability and $10K accidental death.

AAC said:
I was stopped flying PV2+ over a lake where no building was there. The guard asked for the insurance document which I didn't have of course
Just tell them you are self-insured.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl