How to replace the gray ribbon cable?

Reaction score
In a recent crash the gimble roll arm broke. I needed to replace it. Before I go on, I need to say that the video was recording during and after the crash. As I looked down at my crashed phantom it was recording me looking at it and the video was of perfect quality.

I replaced the roll arm and the flexible ribbon cable. (the flimsy one that wraps all around the camera and gimbal). Now I have "No image transmission signal" and "gimbal disconnected" errors when I start up. Upon startup, the gimbal goes through it's dance, but in a few seconds it goes limp - and no picture.

Another thing I've noticed that didn't happen before the crash is that when I power down the phantom, the battery button light flashes red for a good 10 seconds before it shuts down.

Now, with that said, I want to replace the gray ribbon cables too, hoping that is the problem. One of them is a simple unplug and plug in, but the other threads its way into the body and does not just unplug. I'm sure you know which one I mean. So I have three questions that I need help with.

1. What is the red battery button flashing light telling me?
2. Why do you think just replacing the roll arm and flexible cable would cause these issues?
3. What are the steps for getting access to the cable that goes into the body?

Thanks for your help.

Ps, I should mention that the phantom flies just fine with the limp camera. I still get a good GPS signal with 18 or 19 Satellites, It hovers in place, accepts stick commands, etc.

Thank you Multicoptertec. In reply to answer #2, No, I don't know if this is the cause but it's the only place I have left to go. I don't know the cause. I find it hard to believe that replacing a mechanical piece would cause any of this. Like I said, the video directly after the crash was perfect, only a broken roll arm, which I replaced. I replaced the thin ribbon cable just because many people say it's a good idea after a camera accident.

"Gimbal disconnected" tells me there is a "disconnection", so the gray cables are the only electrical connection(s) that I haven't replaced. If it doesn't work after that, then I'm really baffled and will probably send it off to an expert! I know I'm rambling, but I didn't expect these problems just from replacing a mechanical arm.

Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart