How to Mod LIPO V3 remote?

Reaction score
So when I was having my RX issues I bought a new V3 remote. Turned out to be the RX board in the phantom but I want to keep the new RC.

Got the dial sorted out - bit of a pain but the firmware upgrade fixed that.

So just one annoyance: When I press the sticks all the way down, the left one locks in the down position! It feels like it's made to do that but I can't think of any sane person who would want this as a "feature". What is that supposed to be - auto crash mode or something?

I don't want to keep the remote if this can't be fixed and I'm worried that if I open the RC I won't be able to return it. Is it something I can fix easily?

Re: New LIPO V3 remote

It locks to help with landing.

rbhamilton said:
So when I was having my RX issues I bought a new V3 remote. Turned out to be the RX board in the phantom but I want to keep the new RC.

Got the dial sorted out - bit of a pain but the firmware upgrade fixed that.

So just one annoyance: When I press the sticks all the way down, the left one locks in the down position! It feels like it's made to do that but I can't think of any sane person who would want this as a "feature". What is that supposed to be - auto crash mode or something?

I don't want to keep the remote if this can't be fixed and I'm worried that if I open the RC I won't be able to return it. Is it something I can fix easily?

I thought the same thing. I opened mine up to take a quick look but it looked like it was going to take more time to do any mod then what I wanted to put into it at that time. You might draw some good ideas if you change the thread title that's a little more towards a mod?

flyNfrank said:
You might draw some good ideas if you change the thread title that's a little more towards a mod?

Done! Now let's see what the genius modders have to say here.

And seriously? People want a down lock? That's just nuts. I can see cranking the stick down in error - maybe an over correction - then releasing the stick and expecting it to level off. Meanwhile the drone continues down because the stick is locked... yikes. Dangerous!

rbhamilton said:
flyNfrank said:
You might draw some good ideas if you change the thread title that's a little more towards a mod?

And seriously? People want a down lock? That's just nuts. I can see cranking the stick down in error - maybe an over correction - then releasing the stick and expecting it to level off. Meanwhile the drone continues down because the stick is locked... yikes. Dangerous!

I love the lock down! That way when im coming down from up high I can just lock it in till down, Also great for hand catching don't have to hold the stick down waiting for props to stop :D

rbhamilton said:
flyNfrank said:

Sweet! :D

Just don't bring the stick down far enough to lock..

:D
I think you can bend the metal bar inside the tx that locks the throttle down. I saw it on the vision forum. I'll post a link if I can find it!

I don't have any experience without the lock. I like it! I can click it down and then just watch the drone and move it side to side (to avoid prop wash... that I've never experienced anyway). Perhaps its an adjustment to realize that you need to unlock the stick but I'm betting once you've used it a few times that you won't have any issues with it. I'd certainly not pay money just for the lock feature but it's not bad.

tcope said:
I don't have any experience without the lock.

I guess it's what you are used to but I HATE IT. It seems scary. Like if your car's steering wheel had a lock if you turned it all the way to the left and it stuck there to help you make sharp left hand turns. YIKES! No Thanks!

Anyway I opened it up and found a metal bracket held in with 2 screws. Remove that bracket and you are back to a normal joystick with no lock. Whew!

lock.jpg

I feel embarrassed now if it was that easy. Dang!

Btw, while we're on the subject of modding this controller.... Has anyone attempted to make the forward center reference point on the right side lever more noticeable? I'm referring to when you push the lever all the way up, or forward, there is what seems to be a groove that the lever will rest in which should indicate it's dead-on the middle. On this new V3 Controller of mine it is just barely noticeable and I need it changed. Anyone?

I lost my Phantom due to this lock. I locked it down without realizing it and had lost FPV and was searching the sky trying to locate it. At the moment I visually found it, it was swallowed by the lake I was flying over.

flyNfrank said:
Btw, while we're on the subject of modding this controller.... Has anyone attempted to make the forward center reference point on the right side lever more noticeable?

The right and left joysticks are identical. The left one is just mounted rotated 180 degrees compared with the right one. I bet you could take the lock off the left joystick, rotate it 180 degrees and install it on the top side of the right one to give you a forward lock. Not sure why you would want that... maybe to simulate a high speed fly-away?

After you get more stick time your going to want the "option" of the left stick locked in the down position. I can see if you are still very new to it all, that it might intimidate or give you an uncomfortable flying disposition. Just don't do anything that you can't undue....
I use the down stick lock position often....

Moose

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl